“Highly Recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Sedona, Arizona
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We dined twice at Cornichon, a small neighborhood restaurant serving wonderful food, with daily specials. I had a trout fillet the first time and salmon fettuccine on my second visit. Both were perfectly prepared. The Crème brûlée was also perfect. Excellent value.

Visited April 2014

New York, NY
“Lovely little bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Nice little place with good food and friendly staff. Had just arrived in Montreal and Rafael, our server, was very helpful and knowledgeable. We had salads, sandwiches and a deconstructed poutine that were all delicious. Seems like a "can't go wrong" type of place.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Our Neighbourhood Brunch place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We recently moved into this area of Montreal and part of our exploration is to check out local restaurants. I had walked by this restaurant numerous times but was not sure what type of restaurant or food they served. It seemed always busy, which as anyone knows is a good sign. In doing my on-line research I found that the restaurant to be a breakfast/brunch/lunch place and decided to check it out.

We have been twice and my husband has annointed Cornichon our local brunch place. Service is very good, it has the right kind of ambiance, menu has enough variety that I cannot imagine us getting bored with the food. Good value for $. We have not felt rushed to leave even with a small line-up at the door.

There is always a mix of people. Singles reading their newspaper or doing a Sudoko or crossword puzzle, families, groups and couples. Everyone is well taken care of.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Québec
“Young spot that needs to learn a little”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had to take a dinner before going to a theatre show so I was walking close to the venue in order to find a spot. I passed by the junk food and asian joints and finally landed on this place that displayed an interesting menu, not overpriced.

Quite obviously, this place is popular among young people and is designed to be seen as well as a place to eat than as a place to take a beer.

It's not a fancy place, rather a neighborhood restaurant with an interesting and quite affordable menu.

You are welcomed with simplicity and smile, which puts you at ease immediately.

The waitress was very young and probably quite new to this job, but she was friendly and truly smiling. I ordered soup and bavette with homemade French fries, grilled vegetables and candied onions, and a pint of Griffon Red beer. The waitress asked how I’d like the bavette and I answered rare. She came a few minutes later asking me if I would prefer a pint, since it was only 75 cents more than the glass. She must have been nervous when I ordered, so I smiled and said it was a good idea since a pint is what had ordered. A bit embarrassed, she said it was great, then.

She came back with bread and a little pot of pickles and marinated little onions. I asked her if the pickles were sweet or sour. She said they were sweet.

I had the soup and it was very good. They added a little spice (I’d say coriander and a wee bit of cinnamon, but that’s just me) to the broth which revealed the vegetables perfectly.

While waiting for my main course, I tried the pickles. First one was sweet and quite good indeed. Then, I was deceived finding others were sour. I suppose they were OK but since I don’t like sour pickles, I won’t comment on them. I then left the pickles and sticked to the bread. Good bread is good indeed, and this was good one. When the waitress passed by, I told her these were sour pickles. She told me they were supposed to be sweet by the label on the jar they came from. These youngsters don’t know much but are always right, aren’t they? I told her if it was so, she should change the label because I wouldn’t be the only one to end with a deception. I guess truth is she had no idea what kind of pickles it was, and instead of checking back, she told me what she thought I wanted to hear. Not so brilliant, I must admit.

A few sips of beer later, my main course was served.

As I sliced the steak, I noticed that the definition of rare isn’t the same from a place to another. In fact, the steak was bluer than blue. I should have given it back, but the clock was ticking and I didn’t have the time to give it back so they can give it a little more pan. When the waitress came back asking if everything was OK, I told her it was a good thing I like blue steak because it was far from rare, to say the least. She apologized and asked if I wanted it to be put on the heat a little more. I told her about my schedule and greeted about the vegetables. Yet, I suggested her that when this chef was in the kitchen, it would be better to check sooner with her clients ordering steak. She thanked me and politely apologized again.

Vegetables were very tasty and perfectly grilled and seasoned with herbs. All flavour and no burnt part anywhere. The French fries were very good too, served with small portions of mayonnaise and ketchup.

I suppose I had been on one of those bad luck nights, because this place obviously can serve good cuisine. Still, their staff should be a little more supervised for you can’t build a good reputation on smiling sorries.

I’ll give this place a second chance some day.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I tried one pasta dish in there, it was majestic, and the staff is cheerful and really nice.
The place is warm and quiet, and the service is good as well