“casa de mateo, montreal” 5 of 5 stars

Auberge Casa de Mateo
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   438 St Francois Xavier, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2T3, Canada   |
Ranked #82 of 147 Montreal B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“casa de mateo, montreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

very nice and homey, located in Montreal's old port in a beautiful area. The services were good, and the staff always friendly. Very basic rooms, but very clean as well, great value for price. The Mexican restaurant was really nice too.

I think the location was the best thing about it though. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

it was a great place they had a really good service and if i ever go back to montreal i'll for sure go there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend with my best friend for a girl's weekend and there were good and bad points.

I had booked online with Tourism Montreal for two nights and when we arrived it was set for three nights, but they changed that quickly. They also let us check in three hours early, which was awesome as we walked from greyhound with our luggage and were very tired.

The first night we were there there was an electrical issue and the fire alarm was going off and then stopping, and then going off for hours, probably from 11PM to 3AM or so. The concierge was trying very hard to get the issue fixed and was very apologetic. But it was still very tiring.

The breakfast was very good. It was juice, a spicy scrambled egg concoction and fruit, with toast and croissants and muffins available.

The staff were all awesome. The location was good too, very close to lots of attractions.

The rooms were clean but it was a bit odd there was just a bunch of small soaps and shampoo packages in a basket on the dresser.

The shower door in the bathroom did not catch properly and would not close. It did not leak but it had obviously been that way for a while.

Overall it was a good experience, but the lack of sleep the first night sucked.

Room Tip: The room with the broken bathroom was directly up the stairs on the third floor, and to the left in...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Quite basic rooms, but great value for the price. Very friendly and helpful service, and a very generous breakfast. We were very happy there and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Finding a hotel and a restaurant where everybody speaks Spanish (they also speak French and English) is pretty hard nowadays, unless you are in Spanish countries. However at Casa de Mateo, i found friendly people from all over latinamerica who provided me with a really good service and made me feel at home. I went to Montreal on a business trip and i never expected finding such a charming place in this French city. The staff was very friendly to say the least. The rooms were cozy and clean. The breakfast was delicious too. This is a very special spot for latinamerican people staying in Montreal. I certainly recommend it.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

The first thing I noticed about the hotel when i arrived, was that it was managed by a family. This in my opinion, makes things a bit different, in a good way.
When I booked my room, I was surprised by the prices compared to the other hotels around the same area. I really enjoyed my stay and the locations was WONDERFUL. I got a room bigger than expected, clean and simple.
I do not understand people who complain about what they get after paying a small amount of money. It seems some people want a 5 star hotel service when they are paying for a 2 star one.
Anyways, in general, I found this hotel is a very good option for non-complicated people who know what they are paying for and do not expect more than what they are supposed to get.
It was perfect for my of course! I will come back!

Amserdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I came all the way from the Netherlands to attend the conference of human genetics at the Palais du Congres in Montreal. I found this charming hotel, very close to everything we needed. With my coworker, we decided to give it a try. We stayed there for 5 days and I have to say that the prices, compared to the other hotels, are very flexible. We shared a room with a queen size bed and a private bathroom. The room was clean and organized, Simple but satisfying. Our breakfast was included and really, really generous every day. After our first day, we realized the whole hotel was booked for people like us! It was pretty exciting.

The office was closed some times, but you could always contact somebody to help you out if you wanted to. They seemed happy and were very kind all the time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Auberge Casa de Mateo? Share your experiences!