“Great Once Again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Richlandtown, Pennsylvania
“Great Once Again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Perfect location to Old Montreal! The staff is amazing, helpful and they have all the "Ins" on where to go that the tourists have not yet discovered. This was our second time back within a year and I hope that we will have another lovely trip to this extraordinary city. The rooms are clean, large and very comfortable. The location cannot be beat. Restaurants are close by as is shopping, yoga classes (my personal fav) and the historic area for an education you will not regret! Safe neighborhood in walking distance to almost everything. The Metro is a 10 minute walk, easy to navigate and also safe to explore this wonderful city!

Room Tip: All the rooms we have had are lovely!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your praise and feedback from your recent stay with us. I am proud to learn that our team was successful in providing you with a truly memorable experience and that we made you feel warm and welcome.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition as an upscale hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back one again in the near future.

Kind regards

Front Desk and F&B Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Stony Brook, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I am giving this hotel a 4 star review because of service. We were treated to excellent service from beginning to end. The front desk went above and beyond duty, finding us places to dine, things to do, and just generally helping us whenever we had a question or needed advice. And all done with a warm and friendly smile. On service alone I would return to this hotel. The lobby area is modern with interesting pieces of furniture spread about, may not please everyone but I love it. Our room was spacious (we were upgraded to a suite) with tall windows overlooking the streets of Old Montreal. Again, modern setting that I like very much but may seem cold to others. Clean, neat, and free wi-fi which was very easy to access and never crashed. My breakfast was exactly what I wanted, a big bowl of oatmeal. We will return!

Room Tip: A junior suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Hotel Gault. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the service of our team, and also the style of our hotel.

I have passed on your comments to our associates and they were very proud to receive such a feedback.

Once again, we thank you for the positive review and we hope to welcome you back in a near future.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We used to stay at Gault frequently, till they skimmed down on breakfast and the decor grew stale. We heard the hotel went through renovation in the last few years so after roaming around in various other boutique hotels in old montreal, we thought we gave it another try. We had a top floor junior suit, and the decor indeed changed. Tube TV gave way to flat one and they stay true to the stylistic loungers and chairs, only more modern. The color tone changed quite a bit and there was more use of wood in the closet area. We thought it was a renovation very well carried out. Amenities were upgraded from before as well.
Not much else was changed, in the lobby area, and truthfully not much needed to be updated. They continue to look quite chic. We do miss the abundant breakfast that used to come with the room booking, the very very gourmet choice of salads. But we will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel Gault on TripAdvisor. We constantly strive on guests' satisfaction and providing exceptional service. It's deeply satisfying to know that you decided to come back at the Hotel Gault and that you enjoyed our stay with us.

Once again, our sincere thank you for your kind review. We cannot wait to welcome you back!

Westport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband went to Montreal to see our daughter who is a student there. We usually stay at another hotel closer to campus. We thought we would change and get a few more days and make it special. It is certainly walking distance to the old port, and quiet though we were awaken by drunks yelling in the street at night. The room are very stylish with some sort of linen fabric directly on the floor everywhere, and I mean everywhere even surrounding the toilet, so it left me wonder what were those stains on the floor. I could not get past that impression even thought the hotel provided slippers.

The hotel is very stylish but is lacking in atmosphere, vast expanses of concrete with art. The breakfast area is right by the lobby (no intimacy). There is no restaurant per se thought they have a 24hr a la carte. You need to go out for dinner, which is probably what they expect since you are in the old Montreal. Breakfast was OK, my husband liked it (eggs) but I had the parfait and I even asked the waitress (one) as to what fresh fruits they were using, I was told berries. I ordered it and there was not one fresh fruit in the parfait unless you count the thing fanned on top of the martini glass where I got a couple of layers of yogurt and granola, overpriced and not worth the money. Since there is only one person, the service can be a hit or miss (if he or she is in the kitchen you will have to wait.

I booked this instead of an auberge because they advertised a gym (no picture on the website) The gym is super tiny with an elliptical and a treadmill. Ok for one person, not for two at a time.

The staff is very young and very nice and willing but the feeling of attentiveness to detail is not there. Bottom line is that I found this hotel overpriced and I won't be back. I will be back at the Sofitel which is less expensive for a better service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for all our valued guests such as yourself.

As you can see from other reviews, the hotel is appreciated as it is situated in a quiet area, and service our priority. We apologize for not being able to meet your expectations. Each of the concerns you mentionned in your comment have been shared with appropriate department in order to avoid each details.

We hope you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves. Please contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to offer you a complimentary upgrade on your next stay. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay. Had a jr. suite which was very spacious. Overall, I would consider the property to be urban hip contemporary. The staff was very nice. Location was good in a historic area. Just a 5-10 minute walk to the main action. It was close to a bike/running trail along the canal. There were several restaurants nearby. The bed was very comfortable. Great mattress & pillows. It was cool hearing the horse & carriages on the street below.

The only issue that I had was that it would be nice if they had a coffee maker in the room or complimentary coffee somewhere. Minor. However, there are reasonable options nearby.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review of the Hotel Gault. I am pleased to learn that you consider our hotel for your next visit in Montreal.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Gault and that you enjoyed your junior suite. Your comments are very important to us and we thank you for taking the time to share them.

We look forward in welcoming you in the near future.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights over a weekend, and noticed a difference in the weekend service vs. weekday.

Service: arrived late Sat night, check-in was painless, but as I was jetlagged, I could only manage room service that evening and I hate to say it but it was atrocious. The soup was most certainly heated in a microwave, and from a tin, and the ham sandwich was disappointingly messy and small, accompanied by a mass of lettuce - I'm not a fan. It was the 24-hour menu though so I suppose this was the best a non-chef could muster up. The food is rolled in on a table with wheels, and white tablecloth - but no salt or pepper or any other seasoning/extra, which I thought was odd. However, I noticed a massive difference come Monday morning - room service breakfast was much better than the day before, and it came with salt/pepper/the extras!

Room/amenities: the room itself was awesome - I got upgraded to a corner suite and it was MASSIVE. Not carpeted but they thoughtfully provide slippers :) The juliet balconies made me feel I was in Paris. The Molton Brown toiletries were appreciated! The reason I ordered room service for breakfast was because downstairs around the lobby area was very simple, no atmosphere, I would not want to have a drink or food down there.

Location: the hotel is on a quiet street so your sleep won't be disturbed. Central location, I think, but I wasn't there to sightsee so can't really comment on how convenient it really was. A short walk from Chinatown and the water is about all I can say!

Not sure if I would stay here again...nice enough, but...didn't tick all the boxes - I guess I like my hotels to have slightly more atmosphere. And the lack thereof wasn't because of the timing of my stay (over a weekend in a central business district area) - I've stayed at the W Hotel around the corner over a weekend too and it wasn't the same - it was quiet but still had ambience...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your last experience at the Hotel Gault. I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the full hotel experience. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we received from you about room service and the ambiance at the restaurant enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary action to ensure similar situation can be avoided.

Rest assured that this situation has been brought to the appropriate departments in order to prevent such situation in the future. If you would like to accept my invitation, I will be glad to offer you the opportunity to taste our lunch served at the hotel and appreciate the menu of our Chef. You can email me directly at smahu@hotelgault.com.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we are looking forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back!

leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed 4 nights here earlier this week. Cool hotel, good location to be in for proximity to Old Montreal. Very warm staff, nothing is too much trouble and they will tty their best to accommodate you. Nice, modern rooms. I had a room on the top floor with a nice roof terrace. Only issue was the prevalence of ants from outside, but this was a minor annoyance. Breakfast was good and the hotel has a nice, albeit quiet bar. Design is very funky, with exposed concrete walls in part. I enjoyed my stay but the hotel needs to shout out a little more about its services; I only discovered it had a gym on the last day as there was no in-room hotel brochure. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor. A roof terrace comes with!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Hotel Gault. I am delighted to read you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and appreciated our restaurant.

Your comments are very important to us and we welcome your feedback as it's the most effective way to improve in all areas. I will pass along your comments to the rest of the team to make sure that the different services offered at the hotel are mentionned to all our guests during their stay.

I look forward to welcoming you again to The Hotel Gault in the future!

Front Desk and F&B Manager

Been to Hotel Gault? Share your experiences!