“Not bad but won't be back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gault

You added Hotel Gault to your Saves list
Hotel Gault
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   449 Sainte-Helene, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2K9 , Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Westport
“Not bad but won't be back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband went to Montreal to see our daughter who is a student there. We usually stay at another hotel closer to campus. We thought we would change and get a few more days and make it special. It is certainly walking distance to the old port, and quiet though we were awaken by drunks yelling in the street at night. The room are very stylish with some sort of linen fabric directly on the floor everywhere, and I mean everywhere even surrounding the toilet, so it left me wonder what were those stains on the floor. I could not get past that impression even thought the hotel provided slippers.

The hotel is very stylish but is lacking in atmosphere, vast expanses of concrete with art. The breakfast area is right by the lobby (no intimacy). There is no restaurant per se thought they have a 24hr a la carte. You need to go out for dinner, which is probably what they expect since you are in the old Montreal. Breakfast was OK, my husband liked it (eggs) but I had the parfait and I even asked the waitress (one) as to what fresh fruits they were using, I was told berries. I ordered it and there was not one fresh fruit in the parfait unless you count the thing fanned on top of the martini glass where I got a couple of layers of yogurt and granola, overpriced and not worth the money. Since there is only one person, the service can be a hit or miss (if he or she is in the kitchen you will have to wait.

I booked this instead of an auberge because they advertised a gym (no picture on the website) The gym is super tiny with an elliptical and a treadmill. Ok for one person, not for two at a time.

The staff is very young and very nice and willing but the feeling of attentiveness to detail is not there. Bottom line is that I found this hotel overpriced and I won't be back. I will be back at the Sofitel which is less expensive for a better service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for all our valued guests such as yourself.

As you can see from other reviews, the hotel is appreciated as it is situated in a quiet area, and service our priority. We apologize for not being able to meet your expectations. Each of the concerns you mentionned in your comment have been shared with appropriate department in order to avoid each details.

We hope you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves. Please contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to offer you a complimentary upgrade on your next stay. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Front Desk and F&B Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay. Had a jr. suite which was very spacious. Overall, I would consider the property to be urban hip contemporary. The staff was very nice. Location was good in a historic area. Just a 5-10 minute walk to the main action. It was close to a bike/running trail along the canal. There were several restaurants nearby. The bed was very comfortable. Great mattress & pillows. It was cool hearing the horse & carriages on the street below.

The only issue that I had was that it would be nice if they had a coffee maker in the room or complimentary coffee somewhere. Minor. However, there are reasonable options nearby.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review of the Hotel Gault. I am pleased to learn that you consider our hotel for your next visit in Montreal.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Gault and that you enjoyed your junior suite. Your comments are very important to us and we thank you for taking the time to share them.

We look forward in welcoming you in the near future.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights over a weekend, and noticed a difference in the weekend service vs. weekday.

Service: arrived late Sat night, check-in was painless, but as I was jetlagged, I could only manage room service that evening and I hate to say it but it was atrocious. The soup was most certainly heated in a microwave, and from a tin, and the ham sandwich was disappointingly messy and small, accompanied by a mass of lettuce - I'm not a fan. It was the 24-hour menu though so I suppose this was the best a non-chef could muster up. The food is rolled in on a table with wheels, and white tablecloth - but no salt or pepper or any other seasoning/extra, which I thought was odd. However, I noticed a massive difference come Monday morning - room service breakfast was much better than the day before, and it came with salt/pepper/the extras!

Room/amenities: the room itself was awesome - I got upgraded to a corner suite and it was MASSIVE. Not carpeted but they thoughtfully provide slippers :) The juliet balconies made me feel I was in Paris. The Molton Brown toiletries were appreciated! The reason I ordered room service for breakfast was because downstairs around the lobby area was very simple, no atmosphere, I would not want to have a drink or food down there.

Location: the hotel is on a quiet street so your sleep won't be disturbed. Central location, I think, but I wasn't there to sightsee so can't really comment on how convenient it really was. A short walk from Chinatown and the water is about all I can say!

Not sure if I would stay here again...nice enough, but...didn't tick all the boxes - I guess I like my hotels to have slightly more atmosphere. And the lack thereof wasn't because of the timing of my stay (over a weekend in a central business district area) - I've stayed at the W Hotel around the corner over a weekend too and it wasn't the same - it was quiet but still had ambience...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your last experience at the Hotel Gault. I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the full hotel experience. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we received from you about room service and the ambiance at the restaurant enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary action to ensure similar situation can be avoided.

Rest assured that this situation has been brought to the appropriate departments in order to prevent such situation in the future. If you would like to accept my invitation, I will be glad to offer you the opportunity to taste our lunch served at the hotel and appreciate the menu of our Chef. You can email me directly at smahu@hotelgault.com.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we are looking forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back!

leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed 4 nights here earlier this week. Cool hotel, good location to be in for proximity to Old Montreal. Very warm staff, nothing is too much trouble and they will tty their best to accommodate you. Nice, modern rooms. I had a room on the top floor with a nice roof terrace. Only issue was the prevalence of ants from outside, but this was a minor annoyance. Breakfast was good and the hotel has a nice, albeit quiet bar. Design is very funky, with exposed concrete walls in part. I enjoyed my stay but the hotel needs to shout out a little more about its services; I only discovered it had a gym on the last day as there was no in-room hotel brochure. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor. A roof terrace comes with!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Hotel Gault. I am delighted to read you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and appreciated our restaurant.

Your comments are very important to us and we welcome your feedback as it's the most effective way to improve in all areas. I will pass along your comments to the rest of the team to make sure that the different services offered at the hotel are mentionned to all our guests during their stay.

I look forward to welcoming you again to The Hotel Gault in the future!

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

10 years later to the day we returned to Hotel Gault. It was just as we remembered, a sophisticated boutique hotel with a great staff. It's just about the right size for quiet coziness but with all the amenities of a larger hotel. Do not miss breakfast here. Hopefully we'll visit again, but less than 10 years from now.

Dear Guest,

We are glad that you came back to the Hotel Gault, even 10 years later, for your recent stay in Montreal! We appreciate your extremely kind comments and looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Next year maybe?

Hudson, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel is one of our all time favorites now - everyone there was always super alert to our every need and request. When our internet Wi-Fi connection was taking time to work, the hotel clerk offered us her personal I-pad for our stay of 3 nights; our tablet did work though. Terrific dinner recommendations were suggested and made quickly. The room was huge and comfortable and the breakfasts were great. The Gault is also perfectly located in Old Montreal for easy access to walk the wonderful surrounding areas. They simply will not rest until you are completely at ease. Loved it. Oh, and we never heard a peep once inside our rooms - the interior quiet was wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelGault, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the positive review of the Hotel Gault on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn that we became your choice hotel and that we are still able to maintain our level of service. It is certainly with great pleasure that we take every opportunity to exceed our guest’s expectations; your comments are well appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Montreal.

nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Gault in Montreal for 3 nights and enjoyed every part of it. The location, the service, the quiet, as relaxing environment, and the great size of the rooms. The hotel offer charm and modernity, with a rock touch. As I strongly believe in energy, Hotel Gault is an inspiring location for people like me. Thanks to the great team
JD

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
HotelGault, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Gault.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback about our team and the ambiance.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Gault!

Front Desk and F&B Manager

Been to Hotel Gault? Share your experiences!