“Professional, classy, beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 170 hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Professional, classy, beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Gault in Old Montreal this weekend and it was just as advertised. An adult-style property with wonderful design chops and gorgeous rooms. This is not your average, fusty, high-end hotel with brocade and dark wood; there are personal touches everywhere, such as in the 1939 Life Magazines mixed in with other reading materials in the fireplace room; brushed concrete floors in the rooms with heating coils under the sink and in the bathroom waiting to surprise your bare feet; up-to-date electronics and an iPhone recharging speaker set on the classy, low table. You're also in Old Montreal, so there's the fascinating contradiction between the building (at least 150 years old) and the interior, which still sports, here and there, in the lobby and in the rooms, the old sculpted columns that support the heavy ceilings and walls.

My only caveat is that although the breakfast and the service were both magnificent, you may not want to pay $60 for two coffees and two plates of eggs. Try Le Gros Jambon on Notre Dame or The Mon Cafe for some good, less expensive grub. Le Gros Jambon, owned by the same folks who own nearby seafood palace, L'Orignal, is a genuine find.

Room Tip: The loft-size rooms, which are available for under $200 a night, are not too small and should suit m...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Your comments are very important to us and I sincerely thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Gault Hotel!

I am delighted to read your comments recognizing the fine details of our beautiful property and it's rewarding to know you were able to take the time to enjoy it and it’s surroundings.

Thank you again for your wonderful words and we look forward to welcoming you back at the Gault hotel in the near future!

474 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have just returned from a business trip in Montreal where I spent six nights at the hotel Gault.
My colleague and I were immediately greeted by the amazing Pauline, the hotel's guest relations representative, who spared no time offering us extremely helpful information on the sights and restaurants of this wonderful and friendly city. She was simply brilliant.
The hotel itself is beautifully decorated, very modern in style, with great black and white framed photographs on the walls, and very welcoming. The rooms are large, simple and slightly industrial in style (the modern industrial look seems to be a bit of a theme in Montreal), and spotlessly clean. The location is very central, in the beautiful old part of town, so we managed to walk almost everywhere. Some amazing restaurants are just nearby.
If I have to be picky I only have a couple of small criticisms: the shower knob was broken and with no sign of being repaired soon and breakfast was expensive, small and served almost cold. I quickly forgot about the shower knob (the shower still worked, it was just a little bit more awkward to turn it on) and we had breakfast elsewhere for the rest of our stay so all in all not that big a deal.
The rest of our party was staying at another hotel around the corner and we couldn’t help feeling smug about our better choice. I would definitely go back to the hotel Gault if I have the chance to visit Montreal again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Gault Hotel!

I am delighted to read your comments recognizing the Gault and the positive comments you express about your experience at our property and I would like to sincerely thank you for it.
Pauline recently joined our team and she’s full of options for our valued guest’s such as yourself, I will pass along your kind words to her and the rest of the team.
I would like to apologize for the shower nob in you room, you should have been advise at the time of check in about it, this piece is unfortunately in back order and we should receive it in the coming week. Regarding your comments about the breakfast, I appreciate feedback, and it is through constructive comments such as yours that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities and will follow up with my colleagues in the F&B department.

You are a valued patron and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

In Montreal for one night on business and decided to go "boutique" hotel. My only regret is that I did not have more time to enjoy this property and the surrounding "old Montreal" scene. The Hotel Gault is cool, hip, comfortable and friendly. The service was excellent. I will return for a couple of days in the summer to truly enjoy old Montreal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to learn you have enjoyed your stay at the Gault Hotel and that our level of service was to your expectations.

Your comments are very important to us and I thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. Your kind recognition has been very well received.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back next summer.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very nice boutique hotel in old town.
We really liked the somewhat minimalist modern decor. The contemporary look might not be for everyone but it worked for us.
The front desk was very helpful in suggesting itineraries and making reservations.
We got upgraded to a corner room which was very spacious and nicely finished. Not sure what the basic rooms are like though.
As some other reviewer indicated, cannot think of anything negative to say. Really nice hotel.

Room Tip: corner rooms are large and beautifully finished
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to learn you have enjoyed your stays at the Gault Hotel and that our level of service was to your expectations.

Your comments are very important to us and I thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and supporting our "going green program on reviews» I will pass along your comments to our team in this regard. Your kind recognition has been very well received.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on future occasions.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Wonderful hotel, most welcoming and helpful staff. Very clean, great beds and linen. Excellent breakfast in bed, beautifully presented. A short walk to many great places to eat, shop and see. Pauline (guest relations) gave us some great recommendations, including dinner at Accords just around the corner. Good wifi and hifi in the room, take your own iPod or CDs. Two nights there felt like a week's holiday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and for commending our service team at the Gault in this regard. Your kind recognition has been very well received and will be share with our all the departments involved as well as the rest of our team. Pauline is great with places to visit and wine and dine and I will let her know your great comments.

You are a valued patron of the Gault Hotel and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on future occasions.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Group of us went to celebrate my friend's 40th B-day in Montreal. Hotel Gault was a delightful part of our stay. I prefer sleek contemporary design and Hotel Gault is exactly that.

The staff was great and couldn't be more helpful. My room was impeccably clean and the bed was very comfortable. We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the culinary offerings. The hotel has a great location in the middle of Old Montreal.

The only complaint I have is that the wifi service was very spotty in the lobby area. Wifi in the room worked well.

Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience at the Gault Hotel, I hope you and your friends had a great time in Montreal celebrating his 40th birthday. I will pass along your comments about the cleanness of your room to our housekeeping associates who take great pride in what they do and they are extremely important towards achieving great guest satisfaction. I apologize for any inconvenience that our Wi-Fi connection might have given you in our Lobby area; I can assure you that issue has been corrected.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Wonderful boutique hotel. Extremely helpful staff. Great location for walking most places in the city. I changed our booking to this hotel after reading the good reviews on TripAdvisor so my thanks to past reviewers. Can't think of anything negative to say.

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. I'm glad that you changed your mind and stayed with us at the Gault were our guests come first, we are always looking for ways not only to meet but to exceed our guests expectations in service and accommodations. Again, thank you for kind comments and I will share them with the rest of the team as we all love to read our guests feedback.

Front Office Manager

Been to Hotel Gault? Share your experiences!