“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Nelligan

You added Hotel Nelligan to your Saves list
Hotel Nelligan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Saint Paul St W, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1Z3, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Special Offer
Suite Retreat
Ranked #4 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Essex, Vermont
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

First the good: Alex was an amazing host, as were many of the other hotel staff. Most of the staff was more than helpful with whatever we requested or needed. The hotel itself is beautiful and in a great location.

Then the bad: As another trip advisor reviewer mentioned just be sure of where your room is located. We were booked into a king superior (atrium) upon our arrival the young lady that placed us in our room ignored my questions and basically acted as if she did not hear me or understand me when she decided to place us in another room. We asked if it was comparable to what we had booked, she just smiled and shrugged her shoulders. She then placed us in a room with a view of a neighboring gravel/tar rooftop adorned with heating and ventilating units. We immediately called the front desk asking to be placed in our originally reserved style of room but to our surprise we were upgraded to a junior suite, which was amazing.

In the end we had a great time in Montreal and would stay at the Nelligan again. Also, check out some of the restaurants within walking distance. If you like Indian food, Restaurant Gandhi is a must.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Upstate New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

We stayed at the Nelligan for three nights, we had a Deluxe Suite on the second floor with windows facing Rue St. Paul. The room was very well appointed and quiet. I did not have any problems with the cleanliness, bedroom and bathroom were spotless. The room came with a very nice breakfast buffet, with simple, but very good quality food.

The hotel staff was extremely professional, helpful and friendly.
My family and I have agreed that we would return to this hotel.

I recommend dinner at Aix, a wonderful restaurant located in their sister hotel in Place d'Armes.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

We are going back this year so you know we liked it. This is a very nice place to stay while in Montreal. The service was very good. The rooms were clean and the decor was very nice indeed. Here is what I loved the best about the place, the king size bed. This was just about the most comfortable bed that I ever slept on.The bar room and restaurant are elegant and the food isn't bad either. They give you a complimentary glass of wonderful wine and cheese every evening as well. The location is in the heart of old Montreal which to us is were we want to be when in that oldest of north American towns. The hotel is just down the block from Notre Dame cathedral and one block from the port of Montreal. You know what they say, location, location, location. It is definitely worth a stay. The price was as reasonable as you are going to get in a hotel of this class. It is Trendy to say the least. The capital "T" in Trendy is not a typo. The young, energetic attractive staff bends over backwards to please from the moment you pull up in front of the place until the time you pull away. Just super.

• Liked — The great huge comfortable bed
  • Disliked — no view from our room but still okay, there is a great view from the rooftop cafe
  • Stayed July 2005
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
powell river
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

We stayed at the Nelligan for 5 nights June 27- July 2 2007 so here goes.

Location; great central to downtown, cab ride away to amazing restaurants and great for wandering and being a tourist in the old part. Better restaurants away from this area. Try europea and Ferrira? for amazing food.

Rooms: well decorated and clean. Intially we had a king superior, not very large so we asked for an upgrade. (It would have been fine but my husband had to work) It was available for some of our stay however the first room they moved us to was above the bar and I could hear everything. When we asked about this the man said it was a "new" problem. Don't put us there! Next room was great, street noise with the windows open but that was part of the charm. I felt like I was in Europe.
Due to the room being booked out for Saturday night we had to move back to a king superior and it was underneath the roof top patio. You could hear chairs scraping and it was noisy. Not a great room location. Also I image rooms looking onto the atrium could be noisy. Be very specific about room choice at check in. third floor would be great 2nd floor you get the bar noise and 4th floor you get the patio noise. Also I would not want a room on the 5th floor anywhere near the patio as its very busy and people accessing past your room ect.

Service: Other than the first attempt to put us in a noisy room, very good. The conceirge is excellent.

Food: Average, the roof top deck is a must to hang out and have drinks!! I probably would not go to the versus as there are many great dining spots elswhere. Coctail reception fun. Great hotel for drinking in the lounges.

If I went back I would stay there again, just be very insistant on the location of my room due to noise.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — room noise potential for
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

I loved this hotel in Old Montreal. Great staff who are super friendly and well trained. Only problem is that if you're picky about super cleanliness like me, you're going to be disappointed. There was a lot of dust and grime on light switches. The desk was sticky and the carpet was stained. But I did love the bedding, the old brick and stone, and the location. I would stay here again, but I hope they clean up better next time.

Stayed June 2007
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

I cannot say enough about this hotel! It is gorgeous, well situated in the Old City, and the service is really wonderful!

The staff upgraded our room to a Deluxe Suite for no additional cost. The room was beautifully decorated (so much so that my husband took pictures such that we might try to replicate it in our bedroom!). The bathroom was huge and well-appointed.

In addition, the hotel has valet parking (a plus in the Old City), continental breakfast each morning, and a wine and cheese every afternoon.

If you are looking for romance, this is the hotel.
If you want to feel chic, this is your hotel.

I would go back in an instant!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — We did not get to stay longer!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

Our first visit to Montreal was to celebrate our 32nd anniversary. I based the decision on where to stay from the reviews I read on tripadvisor. The Hotel Nelligan had mostly rave reviews and we definetly wanted to stay in the Old Port section of Montreal. We booked for 4 nights with the plan that if we hated it, we could always switch hotels and go to one of the "chain" types in the newer downtown area. WE loved the Nelligan and will be going back. Yes it was pricey (we booked a King Loft Suite) but, we have stayed at some Country Inns that wore far more expensive but, not as nice. First of all the area is perfect, if you want to be in the old area of Montreal. Right near the Basilica, and the Port. Tons of restaurants and quaint cobblestone streets. The Hotel is on St Paul St. which is one of the oldest streets in Old Montreal. Lots of character and great historical architecture. It would be helpful if you have done some research about old Montreal and/or bring a book with you...not many book stores in the Old Port area. The hotel staff was very friendly. I had requested a room that faced St. Paul St. and was very glad I had because they truly were the best rooms. The street facing rooms can be a bit noisy if you leave your windows open. The streets are busy up until 1am. Cars and voices tend to echo from the cobblestone streets up through the stone buildings. Just close your windows at night! The rest of the hotel is very very quiet, in fact, I never heard anything in the halls or in adjacent rooms. I felt as though we were the only ones in the hotel even though it was totally booked. The bathroom was great. Absolutely the BEST shower I have EVER had in a hotel! The 2 person jacuzzi was great...a bit tight for me and hubby...maybe 32 yrs ago we would have fit better! The location of the toilet (probably not an issue if you're 90lbs) and the plastic toilet seat are my ONLY complaint....I can not for the life of me figure out why this hotel has gotten much negative feedback regarding their damn plastic toilet seats, yet the toilet seats remain! Had I been close to a hardware store, I would have been tempted to buy and install a better seat and invite the managment up to my room to try it out! The bed and linens were WONDERFUL, no doubt all their money goes into this area and not the toilet seats which makes sense in the long run! The continental breakfast was an 8 out of 10...not the best I've ever had but surely better than any chain hotel. The fruit was fresh, the food was continuously replenished and food was available till 1030 during the week and 1130 on the weekends. They also provided trays so you could take coffee and or food back to your room. They could have improved it by just offering a few different items. After 4 days I was pretty bored with the selections. We ate at Verses the hotel restaurant one night and even though the service was excellent as was the food, I found it rather stuffy, and overrated. The food was beautifully presented but, I thought it was VERY overpriced for what you got. Just a steak was around $32., and that was without a salad, a starch or veggie! Take a walk about 1/4 a mile down St. Paul St. and try The Keg...great filet mignon..we ate there twice! My husband talked me into a few "tourist trap" type activities, and I'm so glad he did. If you want to do the horse/carriage ride then go down near the port and ask for JayPee a female driver who was the nicest and most down to earth person ever and gave us SO much indepth info...she was worth every cent! l. I would give Montreal an overall 9 of places to visit. I would give Hotel Nelligan a 9-10. I will definetly return to Montreal and will definetly stay at the Hotel Nelligan again.

• Liked — The hotel was romantic, private, clean, historical, great location, great service, great shower, great bed and great linen.
  • Disliked — The toilet location (very tight fit between the wall and the tub) and the plastic toilet seat which was flimsy and did not fit the elegance of the decor.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Nelligan? Share your experiences!