“So wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Nelligan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Nelligan to your Saves list
Hotel Nelligan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Saint Paul St W, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1Z3, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Directly - 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 168 hotels in Montreal
Oxford, Mississippi
“So wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

I cannot say enough about this hotel! It is gorgeous, well situated in the Old City, and the service is really wonderful!

The staff upgraded our room to a Deluxe Suite for no additional cost. The room was beautifully decorated (so much so that my husband took pictures such that we might try to replicate it in our bedroom!). The bathroom was huge and well-appointed.

In addition, the hotel has valet parking (a plus in the Old City), continental breakfast each morning, and a wine and cheese every afternoon.

If you are looking for romance, this is the hotel.
If you want to feel chic, this is your hotel.

I would go back in an instant!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — We did not get to stay longer!

1,118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

Our first visit to Montreal was to celebrate our 32nd anniversary. I based the decision on where to stay from the reviews I read on tripadvisor. The Hotel Nelligan had mostly rave reviews and we definetly wanted to stay in the Old Port section of Montreal. We booked for 4 nights with the plan that if we hated it, we could always switch hotels and go to one of the "chain" types in the newer downtown area. WE loved the Nelligan and will be going back. Yes it was pricey (we booked a King Loft Suite) but, we have stayed at some Country Inns that wore far more expensive but, not as nice. First of all the area is perfect, if you want to be in the old area of Montreal. Right near the Basilica, and the Port. Tons of restaurants and quaint cobblestone streets. The Hotel is on St Paul St. which is one of the oldest streets in Old Montreal. Lots of character and great historical architecture. It would be helpful if you have done some research about old Montreal and/or bring a book with you...not many book stores in the Old Port area. The hotel staff was very friendly. I had requested a room that faced St. Paul St. and was very glad I had because they truly were the best rooms. The street facing rooms can be a bit noisy if you leave your windows open. The streets are busy up until 1am. Cars and voices tend to echo from the cobblestone streets up through the stone buildings. Just close your windows at night! The rest of the hotel is very very quiet, in fact, I never heard anything in the halls or in adjacent rooms. I felt as though we were the only ones in the hotel even though it was totally booked. The bathroom was great. Absolutely the BEST shower I have EVER had in a hotel! The 2 person jacuzzi was great...a bit tight for me and hubby...maybe 32 yrs ago we would have fit better! The location of the toilet (probably not an issue if you're 90lbs) and the plastic toilet seat are my ONLY complaint....I can not for the life of me figure out why this hotel has gotten much negative feedback regarding their damn plastic toilet seats, yet the toilet seats remain! Had I been close to a hardware store, I would have been tempted to buy and install a better seat and invite the managment up to my room to try it out! The bed and linens were WONDERFUL, no doubt all their money goes into this area and not the toilet seats which makes sense in the long run! The continental breakfast was an 8 out of 10...not the best I've ever had but surely better than any chain hotel. The fruit was fresh, the food was continuously replenished and food was available till 1030 during the week and 1130 on the weekends. They also provided trays so you could take coffee and or food back to your room. They could have improved it by just offering a few different items. After 4 days I was pretty bored with the selections. We ate at Verses the hotel restaurant one night and even though the service was excellent as was the food, I found it rather stuffy, and overrated. The food was beautifully presented but, I thought it was VERY overpriced for what you got. Just a steak was around $32., and that was without a salad, a starch or veggie! Take a walk about 1/4 a mile down St. Paul St. and try The Keg...great filet mignon..we ate there twice! My husband talked me into a few "tourist trap" type activities, and I'm so glad he did. If you want to do the horse/carriage ride then go down near the port and ask for JayPee a female driver who was the nicest and most down to earth person ever and gave us SO much indepth info...she was worth every cent! l. I would give Montreal an overall 9 of places to visit. I would give Hotel Nelligan a 9-10. I will definetly return to Montreal and will definetly stay at the Hotel Nelligan again.

• Liked — The hotel was romantic, private, clean, historical, great location, great service, great shower, great bed and great linen.
  • Disliked — The toilet location (very tight fit between the wall and the tub) and the plastic toilet seat which was flimsy and did not fit the elegance of the decor.
Front Royal, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

After reading the many excellent reviews of the Hotel Nelligan, we decided to stay there for 3 days earlier this week. We had a wonderful time in Montreal thanks in large part to the Nelligan. Our 4th floor room did not have much of a vew, but was very comfortable and quiet. The staff is just outstanding and seemed to sense the needs of the guests. We will definitely be back.

• Liked — Large room and comfortable bed, also great location
  • Disliked — No coffee maker in the room
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olney, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2007

Everything about this hotel is wonderful, I would highly recommend it:

Prime location, right near Notre Dame
Rooms are wonderful - modern, large, but also warm. Many nice little touches to make your stay comfortable
Service is top notch, everyone goes out of their way to help you
Breakfast is wonderful - and the location of the lounge/restaurant is so relaxing and enjoyable
Food at the restaurant is excellent

• Liked — Warmth/Style/Service
  • Disliked — loved everything
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2007

Arrived at the Hotel Nelligan on May 31 very worried about the construction. Much to our relief, it was all but completed. The new addition is officially opening today, June 1st, so all we've seen are a few workers putting on finishing touches (like lightbulbs).

The hotel is lovely, our room is great (we're on the 3rd floor), and the staff has been wonderful.

Definitely recommend a stay here!

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

My husband and I stayed here on Memorial Day weekend. Usually we stay near the Gay Village but opted for Old Montreal this time. We were not disappointed.

The hotel is a lovely boutique hotel. The rooms are spaceous and the staff friendly. We got a drink at night and a continential breakfast in the morning.

The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom's are huge. Our one complaint was that the toliet seat was cheap (especially when compared to the other services that the hotel offers) and bendable.

We stayed on the 4th floor with a king size bed. The gym was located on the 5th floor, it had two treadmills, two bikes and one elip. The machine were kind of old, however, the weight machine in the center of the room was quite useful and very new. You could do any workout utilizing the attachments available.

We would definitely stay here again since it was very close to lots of the waterfront activities. The elevators were sometimes slow and lots of people waiting but the stairs next to them were always available and easy to walk up or down.

• Liked — The whole place was very comfortable
  • Disliked — The toliet seat was cheap thin plastic
East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

I just returned from staying at Hotel Nelligan this past weekend. I was on the 4th floor in a king loft room, it was gorgeous. Jacuzzi, VERY spacious shower, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, lindt chocolate (my favorite!) left on the pillow each night. Comfortable robes/linens, classical music wafting softly from the desk area upon our arrival. I had no problems with noise whatsoever, unless I left the windows open to hear outside. Noise from the restaurant/bar could not be heard, and I didn't notice any construction. (I was in room 403)

The staff was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. Valet parking was prompt and convenient; on occasions we didn't want to drive, staff had a taxi there in moments.

I was not very impressed with the service at the restaurant however, as our food took 1-1/2 hours to arrive and our waiter was not attentive. The food was beautifully presented and delicious though.

The downstairs bar was elegant, with satisfactory service, and just off it every night there was a wine and cheese spread available to all guests, with ample seating area. The rooftop bar had a great view, but was overcrowded, and seemed to be filled with a younger, louder crowd.

My boyfriend and I came here for a romantic getaway, and I can't wait to do it again. Best experience at a hotel ever. (minus the restaurant, heh)

• Liked — lovely room, wonderful staff
  • Disliked — service in Verses restaurant
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Nelligan? Share your experiences!