“Will Return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Nelligan

You added Hotel Nelligan to your Saves list
Hotel Nelligan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Saint Paul St W, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1Z3, Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))   |
Ranked #4 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Alexandria, Virginia
“Will Return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I found the previous reviews to be spot on; to include the few negative comments. Hotel Nelligan location and comfortable rooms are its best assets. The location is picture perfect everything you need in walking 5 – 10 mins walking: restaurants, bars, wine shop, the Basilica, Lawrence River, bike rentals, souvenir shops, jazz festival. I found the room to be immaculately clean, bedding very comfortable, great turn-down service, and bellmen responded quickly to any room service request. The receptionists were pleasant and customer oriented. The rooftop bar was very trendy and had a great atmosphere. The specialty drinks were absolutely delicious, but of course expensive $10 - $14. The only negatives that I noticed, again that were stated in previous reviews is that lighting in the room is very dim and the restaurant service can be a little slow. But since I was aware of these flaws beforehand I wasn’t bothered. I would definitely return as long as I could secure a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Fredericton, New Brunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I booked at the Nelligan for Canada day as a treat to myself. The online booking process was simple and provided the option to add several web enhancements, i.e. fruit, spa, etc. -- extra charge of course.

Check in was a breeze and I was provided with the password for the high speed wireless internet which was great and a free cocktail which I did not use. Room service wasn't too bad, but they made a mistake on my breakfast order -- I was too tired and hungry to argue.

The room was fantastic. The back wall was made entirely of brick and appeared very stylish. There were two large windows that opened onto the adjoining alley. I had a great view of Habitat '67 which I didn't even notice until about 5 hours later. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linens were considerably nicer than the average fare. The bathroom was quite large and featured a stand up glass enclosed shower with a rain style shower head. There was also a separate 2 person jacuzzi tub.

This was a short layover on the way to a concert in Toronto, so I didn't have a chance to explore the surrounding neighborhood, but it's evident that the hotel is close to anything you'd ever need for shopping, food or entertainment. I'll definitely need to spend a few more days and night the next time around... one day isn't enough.

What I liked best about the hotel was the location and atmosphere. Old Montreal is definitely unique, and this hotel is in character with it's surroundings. What I liked least about the stay was the size of the room. I expected a bit larger sitting area as opposed to the single chair and 2 person table that were provided. The pictures and descriptions made me believe there would be a bit more room.

All in all... a great place to stay. I'd have no qualms in recommending this hotel to friends or family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

The Nelligan is beautifully situated a block from the St. Lawrence in a spectacular Victorian former business district. Rooms are comfortable, stylish, even elegant. Staff are courteous and attentive.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Near San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

We stayed at the Nelligan for five days. Our room was large and comfortable, but the lighting was inadequate for reading. Although there were many lights and lamps, the wattage was insufficient. The bathroom was large with room for all of our cosmetics, but the temperature in the shower was difficult to control.

The people at the desk were always friendly and helpful, giving us good directions for wherever we were going.

We felt comfortable at this hotel, but it was always full of somewhat pushy Yuppie types. I gather a lot of weddings and other celebrations take place here, but groups of people should always remember the kind of image that they are presenting to other. Twice we tried to eat at the rooftop terrace, only to be overwhelmed by the crowds of obnoxious loud yahoos.

Finally, we ate one night at Mèchant Boeuf, where the food was very good. However, the experience was ruined by the length of time that we had to wait for our main courses along with everyone else in the restaurant, about an hour and a half. The restaurant was catering for a large crowd in the dining room next to the restaurant, and they gave this group priority.

The Nelligan is centrally located, and I loved the experience of staying in the old city.
We were able to do two lovely bike rides, one to the islands and the other along the Lachine Canal. We ate in several outstanding restaurants in the area and found everyone outside the hotel to be friendly and warm. I might stay there again, but I am not sure. Nor am I sure whether I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Nelligan, General Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, July 24, 2010
Dear Merebruin,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was sorry to hear that your stay at the Hotel Nelligan did not fully live up to your expectations. Although, most of your experience seems to have been positive, we apologise for the small drawbacks that could have been avoided.
We have definitely taken note of the lighting situation and have made adjustments to improve the brightness in the rooms. As far as the service delays at Méchant Boeuf are concerned, I assure you that it is not the norm, and we have covered the events of that evening with our team to avoid a similar situation in the future.
I thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff and have passed them along to them. If there is anything else we can do, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss further.
Guillermo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

We went to Montreal for the Grand Prix and had a great time. Maude, the concierge is great and was a big help to our trip planning. The room was very nice and romantic. My only complaint is the lack of a view. We ate at two of the restaurants and the food was very good although pricey. Highly recommend visiting the upstairs terrace for a sunset cocktail.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Nelligan, General Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Dear hk16,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Grand-Prix week-end is indeed a great time to be in Montreal. We passed your kind words along to Maude who was very pleased. For your next stay, don't hesitate to contact us directly as we could definitely help you choose a room with a better view.
Guillermo Coronel
martula
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

The good: The Hotel Nelligan is well situated in the old city and close to nice restaurants and art galleries. The bad: the hotel staff is unfriendly, even cold, especially in the bar. When we went to have our "complimentary drink" we were told, after ordering, that our drinks weren't included in the "complimentary" category and that we'd have to pay. The waitress then proceeded to overcharge us and getting her to change it was impossible, since she never came back to us. We asked the front desk to change it and he told us that he "had nothing to do with the bar." When I said it was impossible to pay, he finally called over someone to help. The breakfast was adequate, with no refills on coffee unless you tracked down a waitress -- not an easy task. Our "beautiful room with separate sitting area" was cramped and dark, with no reading lamps and the sconce actually came out of the wall. The sitting area was a chair smashed into a desk that no one would ever be able to sit in.

With Montreal filled with what seem like charming boutique hotels, I cannot imagine why Hotel Nelligan has gotten such good press. I would never go back.

Stayed June 2010
Dear martula
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was very surprised and disappointed to read your comments. I am very sorry to hear about your stay, especially because, as you can see from other comments, it does not reflect the level of service we strive for at our hotel.
There is no excuse for the service issues you encountered and we are working with our supervisors and staff to make sure this never happens again.
As far as the furnishings in your room, I would love to speak to you further to get more specific details. If you would like, please email me directly and we can discuss this further.
Thanks again for your honest feedback and looking forward to hearing from you.
Guillermo
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

With taxes, one night 's stay came to $300. The room was described as having a sitting area (a corner with a chair jammed into it) and a romantic view (the building across the street). We had coupons for a "welcome cocktail", with the note that some premium brands were excluded. We ordered a glass of wine from the list and when we presented the coupons were told that the coupon was for a house wine only so basically we were stuck with it. We were billed $4 more than the listed amount. When we complained to the concierge about the coupon misunderstanding, he said he could do nothing about it since the bar was a separate entity.
The room had 2 beds, only one with a gooseneck reading light. When I attempted to turn it to a useful angle, the light it was connected to came out of the wall.
The continental breakfast was served in the bar- when we looked at the other room of the bar which had chafing dishes (empty) we were told, "that's not for you, you have to pay for that." A second cup of coffee was not offered.
The ultimate insult was at our departure when, after watching us bump our suitcases down 5 (approx) steep steps to the street, the doorman (who had been watching) offered to wheel them across the street to our car!

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Hotel Nelligan? Share your experiences!