“Great location, helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Nelligan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Nelligan to your Saves list
Hotel Nelligan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Saint Paul St W, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1Z3, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Special Offer
Book Directly - 10% OFF
Ranked #2 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Philadelphia, PA
“Great location, helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our family of three stayed here over Christmas and loved everything about the hotel, from the spacious room, to the courteous and helpful staff, to the fact that it's named after Montreal poet Emile Nelligan. The hotel atrium was a comfortable place to relax by the fireplace with drinks and a cheese plate. (Best after a 2 hour walking tour in 16 degree weather.) We stayed in room 306, not having read the warnings in time about the street noise. It did get a little noisy around midnight or so but the revelry didn't last long and we all got a good night's sleep. We highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

1,163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
northeast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was my second visit to the Nelligan and it will be the last. When I booked the room for my December holiday , I spoke to the front desk about wanting a quieter room than the last visit, away from the street as Montreal is certainly a city that never sleeps( which is great, but I wanted some shut eye). I opted out of a suite because the only available suite was on the street side , so I reserved a smaller room, but I knew it would be quieter. Two days prior to my arrival, I received an email from the manager saying that I had been " upgraded" to a suite as their had been an "incident" in my reserved room and I would not be able to stay there. I assumed that because I had given the hotel specific instructions regarding not wanting to be street side that this would not be an issue. The room that they assigned us was precisely the very one that the reservations person and I had spoken of when I was making my initial reservation and I had opted out of this room (corner suite, street side).
the first night that I was there We got about 4 hours sleep and the second night about 3. The final night of our stay we were awakened so many times by street cleaners, partiers and cars and trucks honking that we decided to get up after trying to fall asleep and checked out without any sleep whatsoever! I have never not been able to sleep in a hotel my whole adult life! One can certainly expect, from time to time that you end up with a noisy neighbor or even street traffic noise until the wee hours, but this experience was the worst by far of any hotel that we have ever stayed in.
Be warned - hotel Nelligan is in the old port on rue St. Paul ( which is why we chose this hotel the first time) but we lucked out with the room assignment the first stay. The hotel lobby and restaurant and bar are pleasant and the rooms are clean, but make certain that you reserve a room away from the street and if they email you with a "free upgrade", beware you may not wish to take it for it may be one of the fabulous suites on the street!

• Stayed December 2012
Hotel-Nelligan, General Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am sincerely sorry to hear that your experience with us was not up to your expectations and that you did not get the restful stay that you were hoping for.

I agree with you that we should have been more cautious when we assigned your room and verify if the possibility of honoring your request of a quiet room away from the street was available. I have not read in your review that you had addressed the issue to the Front desk after your first night. I am convinced that the team would have done anything to accommodate you and you wouldn’t have to endure the street noise during the entire stay.

I understand that we cannot change what already happened but the team and myself hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Guillermo Coronel
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed two nights in a nearby, and much more expensive hotel, that we found disappointing. We switched to the Nelligan for our last two nights and had a wonderful time.

The overall feel of the Petite Suite is significantly nicer than a nearby room costing 2x more. Between the bellman, reception, bar, restaurant, and room service, we interacted with at least eight or nine people. Everyone was wonderful.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for 10 days (split into two halves) in October, and loved it. We had a petite suite because I had recently had a hip replacement, and wanted a walk-in shower. The shower was the best we have ever had--the controls at one end, the showerhead at the other, so you did not get doused in cold water while adjusting it. A large grab handle, somewhere to put the soap, and a *non-slip floor*!--small details, but how rare to find them attended to. This attention to detail was characteristic--the hotel has been beautifully designed and is a pleasure to live in. The bedroom was huge, well furnished, and well lit (though another light by the armchairs would have been welcome to those of us who read rather than watch TV). Bed was supremely comfy. The downstairs lounge, with huge leather sofas and open fire, was a great place to read after breakfast. The staff were extraordinarily helpful and welcoming (especially Dan).
The downside was the restaurants--we asked the first night to be booked into the 'brasserie', and if that was not available, into the main restaurant. When we came down at 7.30, the young female receptionist told us, with some fluster, that the brasserie was full, but for some unexplained reason she had *not* booked us into the restaurant, which was full as well, and the result was we had to pile out on to a rainy street looking for dinner at a time when most of the local restaurants were already full. When we did eventually eat in the hotel, we found the main restaurant pretentious and, frankly, not very good--too many 'dishes for two' on the menu (and could you eat a whole roast duck between two people?), which limits choice, too much foie gras (which we don't eat, on animal welfare grounds--and who could eat foie gras with poutine?). As for the 'brasserie', it was more like a disco: the music was absolutely deafening, whether it was recorded rock or live country and western. We saw four (young) people arrive and leave withitn three minutes, apparently because of the noise. Food was adequate but not special. Never again.
So, if you bypass the restaurants (and there are lots of alternatives on this street alone), this is *the* place to stay in Old Montreal; we'll certainly stay there on a return visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing outward to the street will probably be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I had only a day and 1/2 to spend in Montreal and we chose Hotel Nelligan based on TripAdvisor reviews. We were so pleased. From the moment we drove up to the very last doorman opening the door when we left. Everyone was very nice, with the perfect combo of professionalism, efficiency and courteousness. Our room was in the 'old' section and we loved the brick walls, jacuzzi bath and comfortable bed. Our view was of the Notre Dame tower. It was snowing some of the time. Really gorgeous and romantic. We ate at the restaurant and had one of the best dining experiences that we can remember.

Fort Myers FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I had taken a few days for a romantic weekend- left our son at home with his grandparents. We chose this place because of the reviews on Tripadvisor and its inclusion in T&L's list of great hotels. It did not disappoint.

We had a petite suite- and enjoyed it thoroughly. The room was spacious with a large King and a fake fireplace. At the recommendation of other people on Tripadvisor, we stayed on the 4th floor looking out- which was a great suggestion. You could see the river and above the rooftops.

The shower was great- full spa bathtub. The room is stylish and warm.

Staff was helpful across the board from checkin to check out. The concierge recommended both a good spa and a great restaurant (L'Original).

Great location- we walked everywhere for 3 days and didn't leave Old Montreal.

We did not eat at the hotel so I can't speak to it. The only bad aspect of the hotel was getting there. There had been 2' of snow the previous few days and the entire Old Montreal area was a mess - snowplows everywhere.

Room Tip: go with the fourth floor- looking towards the river.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

A very sweet hotel, staff is excellent - the concierge couldn't have been more helpful.
Our room on the 3rd floor had a king bed, jacuzzi and (fake) fireplace.
We did face the atrium - very noisy from the disco below - thumping music until 2 am.
Nice cozy lounge area on the main floor with big chairs and couches to relax in.
There are two restaurants - and bar service can be slow if it's busy.
Fantastic location for walking to attractions, restaurants and museums.
Lots of art galleries up and down the street - feels just like a little european city.

Room Tip: Stay away from the atrium rooms at the weekend - disco fever will keep you awake.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Nelligan? Share your experiences!