“Part Speakeasy part Mad Men” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
New York City, New York
“Part Speakeasy part Mad Men”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Was visiting Montreal and went here on the rec of a friend. It's hidden--walk through an unmarked red door--and perhaps that part of what makes it such a gem. Every seat is at a bar they have an original selection of cocktails. Great spot for a date, in fact people making out in the corner seem part of the vibe.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

71% Recommend
“Pretentious sarcastic and rude owner ruined my girl Friend's bday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriends bday was ruined. 4 girls taking a picture w flash and were rudely told not to. We then ordered "SPICY Shrimp" not Salty Shrimp. We 4 ppl said politely that the plates were way too salty. The waitress said we had to speak to the manager bc he told her it was made with kimchi. For all I know, kimchi has a spicy kick to it and our shrimp salad tasted like someone had spilled the salt container in it. After 20min of the manager/owner ignoring us, he finally came over and said in the most rude and sarcastic manner that we didn't like the food and that it was made that way. I was not spoken to this rudely as a customer in a long time. He was so arrogant and disrespectful that I got up my seat and left the place. My friends paid for us and left. What a jerk to treat customers like that especially when we were in the right.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Canada
“Disrespectful crazy owner/manger”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I always wanted to go to Big in Japan and heard awesome things about that place, so my cute girlfriend surprised me by taking me there. After waiting for a while in line, behind a curtain, we were told to get in and that is when I started simply hating the place:

- We were not assigned seats (we were just let in and had to find our own seats)
-While looking for a place to sit, we passed in the middle of the bar and were told in a disrespectful way that we are not allowed to walk in the middle of the bar since this site is only for waiters. (There were no freaking signs, so I don't understand how we were supposed to know)
-We were finally seated at the end of the resto/bar and the layout is in a way as an open bar where the bartenders prepare the drinks/food/appetizers in-front of you which I totally find cool and nice to watch. But the problem was that they were louder than us and the music!
-I found the manager very disrespectful since he was screaming at the waiters/bartenders in-front of us and swearing at the customers and exactly saying: ''I DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS HERE, IF THEY DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES (NOT WALKING IN BETWEEN) OR WHATEVER THEY CAN JUST LEAVE AND YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO TELL THEM TO LEAVE. YOU ARE THE BOSS HERE NOT THEM''.
-Last but not least the music was terrible and there was no sync between the songs at all (taking into consideration I am a DJ, I found the music very unsuitable for the place)

Taking into consideration all of the above, the only thing that pissed me off was the manager's attitude and the way he is making the waiters/bartenders think/be. I can't imagine myself going there again and was so pissed off since my girlfriend's surprise and experience and were ruined!!! This is not a way at all to think of or treat customers!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Halifax, Canada
“Happening spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

You can't help but want to dive into this great gem. Our small group stopped in after a work event and had an amazing time. They seated us right away and the service was excellent. The meals were reasonably priced and were absolutely delicious; large portions with fresh foods and tangy flavours. We'll be back the next time we are in town.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cherry Valley Ontario
“Most fun for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This place is cool and has excellent food. The food is spicy and unusual not the same old sushi and tempura etc. that is everywhere. The tuna tataki is super good. Have been several times and it is always casual and fun. They even have their own beer on tap.

• Visited April 2013