“Lacking hospitality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Square Phillips Hotel & Suites

You added Le Square Phillips Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Le Square Phillips Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1193 Place Phillips, Montreal, Quebec H3B 3C9, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Offers & Announcements
Winter Sweet Deal Package
Ranked #9 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Brookline,MA
“Lacking hospitality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is in a great location. Rooms are large and done up well. But the check in left me with a very negative impression.I had called with a room request and was asked to call on the day of check in as that was when such requests would be entertained. So called again on the right day and was told my request was noted .Yet when I arrived at the hotel I saw the room was not as requested . Of course the hotel has no legal obligation to cater to requests which the guy at the check in was very quick to point out immediately. Most check in staff acknowledge requests and will apologize if they cannot do anything. But this guy did not even look down at his computer to check and talked like he was doing me great favor letting me have a room at all!.Frequent travelers look for a welcoming environment at hotels and staff which fails to understand the meaning of hospitality does their employer a disservice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The suite was huge, clean and quiet and generally well equipped. (I agree with the previous comment on the toiletries.). It would also be good to have one gown per person.

Breakfast was very disappointing. The breakfast room was very small, so there were long queues, and the over-crowding led to several breakages while I was there. There was little choice.

The pool was very small, so I didn't bother going in it.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Quality time with one of my best friends, All we wanted was a clean room close to all the sites and thats exactly what we got! We Checked in on Mon Oct 24 and checked out Wed oct 26. After taking the train from Toronto we were issued Room 306. Upon entering we were a little concerned to be so close to the elevator but never heard a thing.

All dealings with staff were pleasant.

The room was perfectly adequate with a double bed, Spacious, A view of the street and a decent bathroom.

One piece of advice to the hotel....Please consider replacing the Aromae tolietries....They smell horrible and cheap!

We were only a blocks walk from the heart of Rue St Catherine (Main Tourist precinct for Restaurants and Shopping) and a 15 min walk to Old Montreal.

Montreal is a great city and this hotel is perfectly situated as it's really not far from anything.

Eaton Centre and the museums on Rue St Catherine are probably a 15 to 20 min walk.

If coming here again we would definitely stay here again if looking for a cheap, clean inexpensive hotel (I only paid $140 AUD a night)

Restaurant Tip: We really liked the Swiss place called "Alpenhaus" its a little further down a little bit away from the tourist strip on Rue St Catherine....But oh so good food!

Cant comment on the hotel pool as we never used it.

There was also a really good thai place next to "Beaudry" subway station too but the name escapes me

Check Out was efficient and swift. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I choose Le Square Phillips because it could accommodate my family of 5 in a suite. We drove up to Montreal for a Christmas Day mini-vacation. We saw the high ratings on TripAdvisor and booked the family suite at a good price. Looking at the pictures, I was a little worried about what we were going to find, but I was delightfully surprised.

I would describe the hotel as no-frills... it certainly is not extravagant, but it is clean, modern, and well appointed. The ceilings are very high (12 feet?) which gives the rooms an extra dimension. From the pictures, the decor looks dated, but it is not. Everything is new, the design is obviously kind of retro by design.

The family suite was huge even without the vertical space. A separate bedroom, a kitchen area with a table for 6, living room with a pull out sofa, and another non-enclosed bedroom. It fit our family very well, as they had a lot of room to move around. The bathroom was clean and pretty large, but not a lot of storage/counter space.

The pool area was nice and clean. The pool wasn't huge, but it served it's purpose. There were great views from the rooftop area. Continental breakfast was part of the room rate, and it was pretty good. Cereals, muffins, frozen waffles, coffee and juices made up the bulk of it. The hotel restaurant was closed while we were there, so we did not get to experience it.

The only negative I can say is that they only have 1 type of pillow... a very soft one. My neck was killing me after the 2 nights, and they said they did not have any other firm pillows. They should add some to their inventory for people like me. I cannot be alone in wanting a firm pillow....

Overall I would say that Le Square Phillips was an excellent family hotel at a great value. I'm not sure I would stay there on a romantic weekend with my wife, but if we come bring the kids again, we will absolutely stay here. My kids were very vocal in saying that they wanted to start coming here every year for Christmas.... we just might start doing it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We weren't even in the room for 12 hours, but we were happy with the service and room.
We had a room with an alcove in it so we could sleep seperate from our son on his sofa bed. The room was larger than expected, had a kitchen, small table, bed and bathroom. Upon arrival our son was given a 'gift' from the hotel of childrens cookies, popcorn etc which we thought was nice. Reception staff were also good in passing on messages from overseas family members. The complimentary continental breakfast was nice as was the breakfast staff.
The location is walking distance to the the VIA rail staion. Most of all, after 11 hours on the train from New York the room was so dark and quiet that we all had a great night sleep.

El Dorado, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my mom for two nights (I had an interview at the US Consulate and it is just a short walk from this hotel). We arrived in Montreal on the 19th by train, this hotel is so centrally located just a couple minutes (walking) from VIA. Check in was no problem at all we were helped right away, service came with a smile lol :) Everyone seemed super happy to be there, its a nice atmosphere. LOVED our room, excellent view, wonderful bathroom and a super awesome kitchen, YES a fully equipped kitchen! On the top floor there is laundry, gym & pool we went up around 8pm-9pm and it wasnt busy at all. Wish we could have stayed longer!!! I would reccomend this hotel to anyone!!! If ever i find myself back in Montreal, this is where i will be staying!!

Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We booked a junior suite in the hotel, which had a living room, a separate bedroom and a kitchen area. The room was much bigger than it looked in pictures. I wanted to have some sort of separator between where we were sleeping and our son's portable bed. The bedroom of the junior suite is almost like a separate room from the rest of the space. We did not use the kitchen as we were only there for 2 nights, but it was adequate. The furniture was definitely dated, but the location was great. It is right next to Rue Catherine and very close to a subway station. The old town and old port are also a very comfortable walking distance. WE enjoyed our stay in Montreal a lot, even though there is a ton of construction in the city. They charged us for parking, I wish I saw earlier that there was a public parking lot right next to the hotel, which was cheaper. The breakfast was adequate, what you would expect from a continental spread. We will definitely stay at this hotel again if we are in Montreal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Le Square Phillips Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!