“if you're picky, stay here!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Directly - 10% OFF
Ranked #11 of 168 hotels in Montreal
St. Paul, MN
“if you're picky, stay here!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2005

My husband and I have stayed in many hotels in different cities based on reviews we're read on Tripadvisor. This was one of them, and all the prior reviews were definitely accurate! We are VERY picky travelers who always stay in the most high end hotel we can find for under $200/night, and found this stood up to our expectations, and then some.

This is a very nice, VERY clean boutique hotel in a perfect location with lots of great extras, for a very reasonable price. It is one block away from the Metro stop, and is located right in Old Montreal.

There is FREE wine and cheese served in the hotel bar area (or the rooftop terrace, if you prefer) every afternoon. The continental breakfast (also FREE) was excellent- I don't know what others were expecting when they complained about it in their reviews. They had a very nice selection of bread, cheese, delicious muffins, bagels, lots of fruit, juices, cereal, etc etc. More than good enough to fill you up so you can enjoy your morning sightseeing! Free daily newspaper too.

The room was very nicely decorated and spotlessly clean, and we were in the OLD part of the hotel. Valet parking expensive as usual, but good service.

Overall we try to find nice, classy hotels that we look forward to returning to after a long day of sightseeing, and that are part of the experience of traveling to the city we're staying in, and this one was another perfect find!

1,091 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Liverpool, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2005

Recently expanded, we were fortunate enough to have one of the rooms in the refurbished new wing, on the third floor. The rooms are large, the beds huge and comfortable, the shower equally large and luxurious. The location couldn't be better - opposite the Basilica, near a Metro.

The hotel provides a Continental breakfast in the cost, and there is free cheese and wine each evening. The staff are helpful, friendly, and bilingual.

I can't praise this hotel enough. Its excellent in every way.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

All of the prior reviews are accurate, this is a great hotel. The location in old Montreal is as good as any, right next to the Notre Dame Cathedral.

The Hotel gives a hip, luxurious feel in the lobby and bar/restaurant area. The hotel gives free wine and cheese parties at night and breakfast in the morning in a great room, with a very cool, hip vibe. I had two kids with me and while all staff was very courteous and warm, make sure your kids are behaved, it is an adult feel to the room.

The guest room is another ultra hip, luxurious suprise. I am suprised I have not read about the bathroom which is better than any I have stayed including, W and Ritz hotels.

Take the time to find the rooftop bar/restaurant. There was no one there when we went up including workers even though the outdoor grill was on, and it is not promoted, but it has a great view and worth the time.

The other top rated hotels in old Montreal seem to be equally nice, but when we went in July the Place D'Armes was a solid $100.00 cheaper, so go with it.

By the way, I am not easily impressed, and this is a great hotel.

Thomasville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

We stayed for three nights in July 2005 (we paid 175.00 CD) and we were not disappointed! The staff is extremely helpful and willing to please, even when busy. They make you feel like they have been waiting just for you to arrive.

The room was divine, and in our opinion, not at all small, although it was a little cramped with a rollaway bed. The room was immaculate and furnished simply and luxuriously. When our valet opened the door to our room, we were greated with classical music playing on the radio. After the long drive, partly in the rain, this room and this hotel was wonderfully refreshing!

We were not disappointed in the evening wine and cheese. One of our party didn't drink, so instead of wine, enjoyed a soda with the abundant bread and varied cheeses. Two wines were offered for the complimentary glass, a red and a white. The breakfast was outstanding with delicious breads and pastries, cereal, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee, teas, and cheeses.

I only have a few small complaints; we had to call three times to get our rollaway bed, and it was not a good bed, even for a rollaway. However, I slept on it and was comfortable enough. Local phone calls are 1.00 each, which I think is kind of chintzy, and valet parking was 17.00 a day. The charge for parking was not made clear on the website, and I wouldn't have even known about it if I had not read another review on this site. However, this is a city hotel, and even if they had parking on site, you wouldn't really expect it to be free.

Other than these small complaints, I can't say enough good things about this hotel, and if I return to Montréal, most likely I would stay here.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

It is a terrific hotel: the location, the staff, the breakfast, the bed, the linens, the bath, we pay CA$175 per night and it worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2005
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2005

We are a family of 4 and stayed at the Hotel Place D'Armes summer 2003. When we first drove up we thought it was a dump from afar because it is located on the edge of a renovated section. What a delightful surprise. When the front doors opened we were in heaven: Gorgeous, modern lobby w/ comfortble seating, delicious snacks, friendly service, tastefully decorated room although a bit small but fine, a small workout room, a pretty public terrace overlooking the city and all in a perfect location at an affordable price.
Highly recommend this lovely boutique hotel!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

Possibly the nicest hotel experience I have ever had. The staff was incredibly helpful, the restaurant downstairs had lovely food, the location was ideal- I have absoulutely no complaints. I loved this hotel, and so did the other four people who came with me (ranging in age from 29- 63). I noticed that other people have remarked on the room size, but my opinion is this: when you stay in a boutique hotel in the middle of a city as beautiful and cosmopolitan as Montreal, you'd be a fool to stay in your room for any long stretch of time. The rooms are not spacious, but they are beautifully appointed and perfect for relaxing after a day of sightseeing. Bigger is not always better.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Le Place d'Armes Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!