“Great Hotel in a Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

LHotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   262 St Jacques West, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1N1, Canada   |
Ranked #15 of 168 hotels in Montreal
Virginia Beach
“Great Hotel in a Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed at XIX for three nights prior to taking a cruise. Our room was ready ahead of time. We loved the location--only a few short blocks from Notre Dame and all the shops and restaurants on Rue St. Paul. The towels and comp robes were beyond soft. The staff was helpful for restaurants and directions. The building maintained an old charm while its decor is up to date.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Our family spent two nights at Hotel XIXe Siecle and we were very pleased. We liked the location, only a couple of blocks from the Basilica of Notre-Dame. The staff were outstanding -- friendly and helpful, while maintaining a quiet air of professionalism. The building is French Second Empire and the rooms themselves are lovely with high ceilings and big windows. The rooms were quiet and restful and were furnished rather elegantly. The beds were quite comfortable and the baths were very nice. There was only one tiny, tiny problem -- the temperature of the water seemed to vary in the shower. The water was always sufficiently warm, but it could become much warmer quite suddenly -- and then just as suddenly drop back to its previous temperature. The breakfast was very good and the valet parking was handled very efficiently. We would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat and highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Great hotel, excellent location in Vieux Montreal, close to restaurants, shops and old port. Staff was outstanding. The room was comfortable, private and clean with high ceilings. Valet parking was a must especially with construction, narrow streets, etc. We walked around and had a great dinner. If you're seeking to party all night, this part of town is not the best. It's a business district, so shops close early in the evening. We were very satisfied with our choice and would recommend this hotel for a nice relaxing get-away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

For definitive hotel service, stay at this hotel. After a rather disappointing night in Quebec City, our arrival here was nothing short of bliss. Valet parking, someone unloaded the bags from the car, everyone has a smile from ear to ear and means it, and the place is lovely. Quiet relaxing surroundings in which to revive yourself after sightseeing etc. Knowledgable staff pointed us at fireworks display late evening, and provided an etxtensive list of recommendations for dinner. Room was spacious, well appointed, with free wireless internet. Perhaps I am wesring rosy glasses after a dreadful night in teh previous hotel but I feel as though the folks that operate this hotel love what they do and it shows....as iot should.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

I came to this hotel in the off season of Montreal tourism. Here are some pros and cons.

Pros
-Very quiet! No noise from the street (with the exception of roadwork that started up before I left) or hotel clientele.
-I ordered room service twice and found the food to be OK. But I still advise finding a restaurant. Room service should be a LAST resort.
-Friendly and courteous staff who speak perfect English.
- Conveniently located about 3 blocks from the Square-Victoria metro station and a 10-minute walk to the nearest VIA Rail Canada station.
-Because you're on the border between downtown and Old Montreal, a lot of tourist sites are close by.
-Free Wi-Fi
-Pretty, clean rooms
-I got bed service even when I didn't request it.

Cons
-Contrary to what the hotel's website says, it is NOT in the HEART of Old Montreal. It's actually on the far NW corner, right on the border with downtown Montreal proper.
-Because the hotel is downtown, the streets are DEAD after work hours and on the weekends. So no places to shop or eat out during those times.
-The free Wi-fi network is UNSECURE. So user beware. It also cut on and off on me a few times. But that might have been my own Wi-fi catcher acting up.
-I can't imagine there being any great views in this hotel unless you have a suite. I could see a little bit of the Basilique Notre-Dame de Montreal from my bedroom window though.
-Only one VERY slow elevator. Take the stairs down.

With the cons being of little significance (to me anyway), I would highly recommend this hotel. I also suggest going to Montreal in late April/early May. Not a lot of folks around and the weather was amazing.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Burlington, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My eldest daughter and I travelled to Montreal to bring back my younger daughter after her first year at McGill University. After one night squashed into her residence room (trying to rough it and economize!) I logged into her computer and searched Montreal hotels! I phoned Hotel XIX Siecle and got a last minute rate for two nights and we were able to check in at noon that same day. We had a large room at the front of the hotel (fourth floor) with two queen beds. It was heavenly. So much space for the three of us and our luggage! The beds were comfortable and the linens warm and cosy. We like it cool at night so we were able to turn down the temperature overnight with in-room controls. I liked the bathroom very much. The lighting was nice and sparkly and the tub nice and deep. Another comment I read on TripAdvisor said the water wasn't hot enough. I wonder if they realized you can adjust the temperature. The handle turns on/off but there's another slider bar for the temperature. We found the location to be perfect. Valet parking was much appreciated. It's a $22/day charge with unlimited in's and out's. I had parked overnight at the university the night before and was charged $23 for 10 hours of street parking on campus so this was much superior. We enjoyed walking around Old Montreal and ate at several great unique restaurants. We had breakfast in the breakfast room on the second morning. It was so good that we were wishing we had gone there the previous morning as well. The price of $10 per person was extremely reasonable for the beautiful selection. The breakfast room is beautiful and the server was attentive and pleasant. Staying at this hotel saved our three-day Montreal visit from being a disaster and turned it into a very enjoyable experience. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I'd always wanted to stay in the old town in Montreal, and I finally made it. This hotel is in a pretty old "hotel de ville" style house, with the lobby up a short staircase from the street. The check in was efficient and friendly. The room was large and very comfortable, with a good bathroom and very comfortable bedding. The decor was very tasteful - in keeping with the period of the building, without being pastiche or fussy. The internet worked well. All that was missing was a kettle in the room. Breakfast in the morning was in a restaurant-style room, and was a good continental spread with enough choice.

The location is ideal for exploring the old town, and close enough to the business district.

I recommend this as a very good quality tourist hotel, or a mid-range business hotel for road warriors tired of big-box hotels.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to LHotel? Share your experiences!