“funkadelic” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Vancouver Island, Canada
“funkadelic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Perfect location on Old Montreal, the rooms are huge with high ceilings and retro-posh decor. Friendly staff and very funky surroundings. The breakfast left a lot to desire and really was not a very good value but there are many good eateries nearby and the front desk was helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Nice design! Everything is excellent! Except for the elevator. No elevator at all. We have to carry everything in hands. Another parking is $11 per day behind the hotel. Much lower than $22 in hotel parking. Then room ism really high.

Stayed March 2013
Hallett Cove, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

From the moment we entered this hotel we knew we were staying somewhere that was a little bit different. The front desk staff made us feel very welcome and we were given a superior queen room on the main floor. The high ceilings and furniture style along with the featured artworks gave the room a spacious and elegant feeling that normally you would expect to pay so much more for. Our bed was extremely comfortable with great pillows, we had no trouble sleeping. The location of the hotel was conveniently close to the Victoria Square metro station and a short walk from Rue Saint-Paul and its interesting restaurants and galleries. We stayed here several nights, one of which we decided to eat in due to the weather. Unfortunately there isn't any real room service available however the girl at the front desk was able to give us plenty of options to order in and she even called and placed the order for us. There is a great bar that is open late and although we didn't take breakfast at the hotel, the dining room looked attractive and well set up. The art collection was a fabulous bonus. We would certainly return to L Hotel on our next visit to Montreal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Even with the stellar Tripadvisor ratings, my husband & I were pleasantly surprised by just how fantastic LHotel turned out to be. The location is perfect- easy to find and only a couple minutes' walk to Old (Vieux) Montreal. We found the staff to be really friendly; while wandering around the lobby checking out the art, a staff member approached us to see if we wanted a cup of coffee (in addition to having a machine in-room, coffee is served down at the bar each morning) and to tell us about the history of the hotel! Be sure to wander the halls of each floor... it's like staying in a modern art museum.
The room itself was gorgeous (we were upgraded at check-in to a jr suite). Tall ceilings, comfy bed, in-room coffee maker, and Joan Miros on the wall! Bonus: the wifi was free & quick. The only possible downside I can think of is that it occasionally took awhile to have our rental car brought around... but that's a shoulder-shrug level complaint at most. We'll only stay here on future trips to Montreal!

Room Tip: If you're a modern art buff, call to ask which jr suites are available: each features a differen...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I escape the kids once a.year and spend a night in Montreal. But I had never had as nice an experience as we had at lhotel. We booked on booking.com and got an incredible rate but after reading dozens of reviews I was sure the experience would be good. From the minute we walked in, we were greeted with smiles from the receptionist and the valet (which was offered at a resonable rate as well) I figured having booked an economy queen room we would find ourselves in a nice but small room but upon check in we were informed we were upgraded to the Sam Francis suite, which was enormous incredibly decorated and clean and had a very large comfortable king size bed. When we realized we forgot a wine opener a gentlemen came up and actually opened the bottle for us. We also had a glass of wine in the hotel bar in front of a fireplace and surrounded by beautiful and unique art, just the high ceilings and crown molding alone felt luxurious. BreKfast in the morning was fantastic and included with the stay, real french butter pastries porc cretons, yogurt, a cheese and fruit plate cereals bagels I mean the list goes on but the room it was served in was unbelievable I enjoyed ny breakfast while surrounded by accents and languages from all over the globe. It was so impressive to watch the team of women working flip the tables, replace partially empty plates and serve coffee with welcoming smiles. I cannot even begin to explain how hard it was to leave we cannot wait to go back. Also the check out is later then most hotels at 12 which is excellent. Love this place.

• Stayed March 2013
Gottingen, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was not sure if I should comment this hotel, only after one night (and this was my first and my last night there) I cannot recommend this hotel, although I wish I could.

The hotel looks really nice (great location!), with modern art on the walls, nicely decorated and spacious room, and clean bathroom normally I wouldn't complain but in case of crisis the staff cannot behave properly.

We had bad luck and some pipe broke so there was no water for the whole day. This happens, but the attitude of the girl at the front desk was unacceptable. She was unfriendly, harsh and even bringing a bottle of water was kind of big deal for her. Again, things like that happen and of course it's no one's pleasure not having shover or not being able to flush down the water, but the hotel staff member should rather try to ease things and not announcing that she is "not a God".

But in the afternoon the situation was totally different. The new girl at the reception with just a little smile and friendly word made us feel better. So there you have when a badly trained (or hired) employee crush a good reputation of a place. If we were lucky to meet her in the morning I would definitely rate this hotel as "very good". But I cannot, it wouldn't be fair.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Last year, I couldn't get into my old favourite hotel in the old part of Montreal so I booked in here for 3 days while my daughter got settled in at university. I must say that my room was fit for a Queen. A lusciously big king- sized bed, luxury luxury luxury. The room was amazing with high ceilings, soaker tub and floor to ceiling drapery, I honestly felt like a queen, and close to everything
You are 10 minutes from old Montreal (if that)and there are tons of great restaurants everywhere. Also it's a 7 -10 minute cab ride to trendy areas like the Mile end and the plateau regions. The whole time I was there I kept thinking that they may have made a mistake on the price because it wasn't super expensive and the room was over the top nice. In fact just to be sure that I wouldn't get a surprise "big bill" at the end of the trip I even asked to confirm the rate at the Front desk, it was as i had booked it - One night the bellman brought up some fresh water to my room and thenI forgot that I needed him to do something else for me so asked him. Mrs. B, he said, I am here to serve you. I get paid by the hour and have all the time in the world for you. I was so very happy. I checked out and no big bill - cheaper then where we had been staying for the past 10 years every time we went to Montreal - will stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: I chose the room with the king sized bed plus the sofa bed as well although I never used it the sof...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to LHotel? Share your experiences!