“Skid row” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Viger

You added Hotel Viger to your Saves list
Hotel Viger
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Saint-Hubert St, Montreal, Quebec H2L 3Y3, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #101 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Argos, Indiana
“Skid row”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Do not stay here! This is skid row! Two blocks from the homeless shelter. Addicts, beggars, and bums everywhere. My car was forty feet from the hotel door and broken into overnight lost $2,000.00 camera. Oh, yeah and the place is a dump. My advice, pony up and stay on the other side of the city. This is the first review I have ever been prompted to write in my life, if that means anything!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel staff was super friendly. The location, though a bit of a walk to the nearest metro station, is still convenient enough to hit the gay village or to the old port of Montreal. The streets are relatively quiet even though it's at the corner of a major street. The wifi signal is strong and consistent. Montreal is not a cheap city to visit. The rate at Hotel Viger is perfect for budget-minded folks. But one gets what one pays for.

The whole hotel could definitely be renovated to transform into a cute and charming B&B. The carpet, bed sheets and bathroom are all old. It's moderately clean, or more like, tidy. Also I'd suggest bring your own towels and slippers. The breakfast was either a big muffin or croissant from Costco, with a cup of orange juice or coffee. There are plenty of cafes in the village or near the metro station to grab snacks from. So the location makes up a lot for the lack of cleanness of the hotel. The sleep quality was fine for me on the queen size bed. Not many hotels offer two beds for two adults in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews for Hotel Viger, and the price seemed to good to be true at $59.00 a night. I took a chance, however, and I'm very glad I did. The hotel is a 5 or 10 minute walk to the heart of Old Montreal, and a few minutes from the subway station. I also appreciated that it was only a few blocks from the main bus terminal, and very easy to find for someone who had never been to Montreal before.
The room was small and basic but had everything I needed, including a small fridge for snacks. The air conditioner, TV, and plumbing all worked as they should, and I had no problems with anything. The breakfast was simple but tasty...a very large muffin and/or a croissant with coffee or tea, milk and juice. You went downstairs for the tray and carried it back up to your room, but that was ok with me.
There were some minor old stains on the carpet and things of that nature...everything appeared to have been cleaned, however, and there was nothing that I would consider gross or unacceptable. The important things like bedding were spotless, and the bed was very comfortable.
I was a woman traveling alone and although I read that some people felt this was a sketchy neighbourhood, I never once felt nervous in the area or in the hotel. Don't go Hotel Viger if you are looking for luxuries like room service and plush towels....go here if you want a safe, clean, comfortable room in a great location for a good price. i will go back when I visit Montreal again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Hotel Viger is a great value for the money. You get a great location, a clean hotel, a nice continental breakfast, free wifi, TV, fridge, private bathroom and a comfortable room.
The hotel is also in a QUIET, safe location!

Sammy at reception was so incredibly warm and very helpful - we really appreciated his service!

While the rooms may be small - I must emphasize that the overall value is simply great! We paid $50/night for a double bed and had free wifi, access to a lounge with a microwave, the hotel is near public transportation and walking distance to all sorts of amenities and sites, and we really looked forward to our coffee and huge muffins every morning!

The hotel also cares to ensure you are comfortable and welcomes feedback. So while it's not a fancy large 5-star, the small, quaint friendliness was really valued. In fact, we were so happy with the value of Hotel Viger, that we extended our stay by several days! We have already recommended this place to friends and family!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. The room furnishings and amenities are very outdated but I didn't plan on spending much time in the room so opted for basic accommodations. My biggest complaint (which was also my greatest fear) was the lack of room cleanliness. There were dark hairs sitting on the bathroom counter, dark flecks or crumbs when I pulled down the sheets, and a large stain on the inside of the quilt. It was also very cold in the room at night and the toilet didn't flush properly. On the bright side, the staff was very helpful and friendly. I would not stay here again and would recommend spending a little extra cash for a clean place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Room decor was older, shower caused wet bathroom, but free coffee and muffin included, and the price is right

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
St. John's, NL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend. A little dingy but otherwise okay or so I thought at the time. I returned home. I woke up with three bug bites on my arm. The place was infested with bedbugs which travelled in my suitcase back to my home and now my bedroom is infested. Take my advice and shell out the extra money for a clean hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Viger? Share your experiences!