“Great value for what we paid.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St-Denis

You added Hotel St-Denis to your Saves list
Hotel St-Denis
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1254 St-Denis | Near Ste-Catherine, Montreal, Quebec H2X 3J6, Canada (Quartier des Spectacles)   |
Ranked #47 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Basildon UK
“Great value for what we paid.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The exterior looked as though it could do with updating but we could have no complaints about the very large room.

The room was spotlessly clean with TV (not flat screen or HD) and coffee making facilities and ample room to move around.

The view left a lot to be desired as looked onto the side of another building. However given its central location and space being at a premium I suppose this is understandable though disappointing.

The hotel offered car parking at a small charge (I think Canadian $18 per day). Don’t expect the parking to be on site – it’s in a public car park with reserved spaces for the hotel just a few yards away.

The location couldn’t be better. Two Metro stations within minutes, bars and restaurants within 2 or 3 minutes walk. Theatres very close. It really was an ideal location for exploring Montreal.

It wasn’t cheap but neither was it overly expensive. I thought it was great value for what we paid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel St. Denis for 4 nights recently. I had read several positive reviews and I was not disappointed. The hotel is almost exactly at the heart of Montreal near the intersection of Rue St. Denis & Rue St. Catherine. You can walk to plenty of eating establishments up St. Denis, downtown is just to the West on St. Catherine and the gay village is just to the East. My room was clean, my maid service excellent, and the wireless internet was invaluable. The staff was friendly and courteous to this English speaker. The cost was very reasonable for the room and amenities. I will definitely stay here again next time I visit Montreal.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor and above have less street noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I go to Montreal alot and normally stay at the Sheraton downtown. This time I decided to be more frugal and tried out the Hotel St. Denis because I like the Latin Quarter. My son had stayed there with his friend on spring break a few years ago and enjoyed it. The price was right and the neighborhood is electric. There were tons of attractions at restaurants within walking distance. The room was clean and had a very comfortable king size bed, airconditioning, coffee maker, Wi Fi and private bathroom. The remote control was barely functional. The housekeeping staff was exceptionally courteous and professional. On the downside, the security was lax but Montreal isn't a high crime area. The neighbrhood was a little seedy with tons of beggars and a rowdy after hours crowd especially when the disco next dooor (which is thankfully open only on the weekends) closes at 4am and it can get very noisy and rowdy in the alley way in the back. We spent our week there walking to various restaurants and museums as well as Old Montreal, make sure to hit St Paul St late at night on the weekend. I never felt unsafe but by the fifth day I had enough of panhandlers which seem to be ubiquitous in Montreal these days. The city is very artsy and cosmopolitan and international. The trip reminded me a lot like San Francisco. I would definitely stay at the Hotel St Denis again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

If you're looking for the luxuries of the Hilton or a high end hotel, this isn't for you. However, I was very satisfied with my stay at St. Denis from August 18 - 23, 2013. The hotel may need some updating and may be a little "old fashioned", but is was very clean and well kept. The room was comfortable and we slept very well. The front desk staff were very pleasant and polite and very helpful. The location can't be beat! It is a couple of blocks from the subway, which we took everywhere. (The subway is very easy to navigate). There is a restaurant right next door, Pacini, that serves very good breakfast. My favorite breakfast restaurant was Cora on Rue Ste. Catherine (within walking distance). My boyfriend and I have already decided that when we go back to Montreal we will stay here again.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My father and I stayed for a few nights after disembarking a cruise. The hotel is only a block's walk to the metro, the 747 bus to the airport, and the Hop on Hop Off bus tour stop. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was spotless and quiet and much larger than I had expected. A separate shower/tub and toilet/lavatory meant we could be using these at the same time. Free wifi and a couple of computers are available for internet access. I would certainly stay again. The price was reasonable, especially for the downtown Montreal area!

Room Tip: Our room was just next to the stairs and elevator, but we noticed no extra noise there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
toragirl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

You can't beat the location of this hotel. If having a comfortable, quiet, place to sleep is all you require from a hotel, this is a fine choice. The desk staff was friendly. The decor was dated, but all fully functional, including free wifi. Although no restaurant on site, there is a lovely Italian restaurant right next door, and a plethora of choices a few blocks in any direction.

Air conditioning was a window unit, but during my stay the weather was temporate, so it was not an issue.

Room Tip: The elevator is quite small, I preferred the stairs, so perhaps a lower floor?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have been to this hotel many times in the past (around 10 times) for either business or pleasure... and I have never been let down. I wrote a review two years ago and I decided to update some information.

So I decided to stay there again for the Rogers Cup, as I have always been satisfied with this hotel. This time, I was with a friend of mine, so I booked a room with two beds. The room was very spacious, with two very comfortable double beds and even a sofa (kind of a mini living room). Everything was perfectly clean, from the bathroom to the main room floor (no carpet, a beautiful hardwood floor imitation). Air conditioner worked great! I always ask for a room at the back of the hotel on a higher floor so I have a very quiet room.

Parking was still 16$ for 24h in a underground garage on one narrow street right next to the hotel. Wi-fi was available for free and this time, it worked flawlessly throughout the hotel. They had now a new lounge area right next to the front desk, which was very cool, with sofas, TV, newspapers. There is a Pacini next door for breakfast.

As always, every single member of the staff was very polite, helpful and friendly. I arrived before check in time and they did all they could to make the room ready as fast as possible. They offered us lockers to keep our stuff until the room was ready.

Price was very good for the area and the time of the year (August... with lots of festivals and events going on at the same time). Location is perfect, right next to the Berri-UQAM main underground hub, on the lively street of St-Denis in the Latin Quarter at the corner of Ste-Catherine street.

I really have nothing bad to say about this hotel. Just don't expect something too fancy or luxurious and you'll be more than happy with this hotel. I think that for the price and the location, you won't find something better in Montréal. I recommended this hotel to many people I know and they all had the same experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends