“A good Hotel, not great” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Le St-James to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   355 St-Jacques, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1N9, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Stamford, Connecticut
“A good Hotel, not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Hotel Le St. James is a very good hotel in Montreal. It is not an excellent hotel. There were some very nice touches, some not so nice, and some where they just missed a bit. When I booked the hotel I mentioned more than once that it was our 30th Wedding anniversary. I have been away during other not so major anniversaries and ALWAYS received something from the staff. It would have been nice to get a bottle of champagne, some chocolates, flowers something that made it a personal experience for the guest. It is not that they had to, but in this class of hotel it should have been done. We had the package which included a continental breakfast in their upscale restaurant. We ordered coissants, taost and danish. After a 40 minute wait, the waiter came back embarrassed that we did not receive our breakfast and then reported sorry they just ran out of coissant!!! It was an awful breakfast of cold dry toast and coffee! This is from an upscale hotel!!! I have been fortunate enough to have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and believe me the st. james was a dissapointment. When I told the front desk about the breakfast they were concerned, but that is it. I guess I have been spoiled, but if they did anything to make me feel better any little gesture I would have rated this hotel better. The rooms are nice, so is the bathroom, but the attitude has to be fixed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
LeStJames, Director of Sales at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear claudia525,

It was a great pleasure hosting you at Le St-James during your recent trip to Montréal in celebration of your 30th wedding anniversary.

We were saddened and profoundly disappointed to hear that no amenity was provided upon your arrival to celebrate this special occasion. It is not in our practice or culture at Le St-James to disregard such momentous events, and we do apologize that the Hotel did not highlight your anniversary.

We hope to see you again soon! When you are ready to make your reservation please contact me directly, and we will indeed make sure your next trip is memorable.

We wish you an enjoyable Fall and hope to see you back in Montreal very soon.

Sincerely yours,

Elizabeth Glimenaki
Vice President Sales and Marketing
514-841-3111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

The Hotel Le St-James is such a pretty boutique hotel in a great area of Montreal--the old town. This was my first visit to Montreal (with a friend). The lobby area is lovely--with a gorgeous library-sitting room and a stylish bar in the restaurant. And there are some old-school touches at the Le Saint James, such as chocolates on the pillow at night and old-fashioned keys that you leave at the front desk when you go out.

But.

I do have two big complaints. First of all, the bloody sheet incident. I crawled into bed one night exhausted and didn't really look carefully at the bed. Until I noticed a blood drop on one side of the pillowcase and then on the other. And then saw there was fresh blood on the blanket (duvet cover) as well. In fact, there was a lot of blood on the bed! It must have been the housekeeper who had an accident during turn-down service? All I know is that I called the front desk to come change the sheets, and as housekeeping was not available at 2am, they sent the front desk clerk and another guy--neither of whom had ever made a hotel bed (they said). This was fine and got me through the night. Though I was VERY suprised that the hotel neither apologized nor gave me the night free when I spoke to them the next morning.

My second complaint is small--I think I got the handicapped room because there was no bathtub, just a shower with a long rail and a wooden bench in it (it definitely looked designed as a handicapped room). Water in the shower sprayed ALL over the bathroom, no matter what I did...quite a mess and not relaxing.

In the end, it was a fine hotel but they did not live up to their end of the bargain. For upwards of $400/night, there should not be bloody sheets!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a bathtub (non-handicapped room)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Ale3940,

On behalf of all the staff at Hotel Le St-James, please allow me to acknowledge your disappointment in the service you received during your recent stay with us.

We try very hard to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable. We have taken into consideration all the comments you provided regarding the incident with the bed sheets, and wish to thank you for taking the time to share these comments with the Hotel. It is through guest feedback that we improve the St-James experience. We are currently examining this case in detail with our Housekeeping Manager and Staff.

Our Superior Room category indeed offers a marble walk-in shower, with no bathtub. Most of the Hotel’s Junior Suites do however provide both a glass walk-in shower and a separate deep-soaking bathtub.

We hope this will not reflect upon your next stay in Montréal and we would love to invite you back to stay with us. When you are ready to make your reservation please contact me directly, and we will indeed make sure your next trip is seamless.

We wish you an enjoyable Fall and hope to see you back in Montreal very soon.

Sincerely yours,

Elizabeth Glimenaki
Vice President Sales and Marketing
514-841-3111
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We just stayed at the hotel for the second time and I am already booking a week-end in October.Aside from the fact that the hotel as well as the suites are beautiful,the service is unbelievable!!! Everyone from the front desk to the spa is incredibly nice. My experience at the spa was amazing( i definetly recommend the caviar facial),I felt like a princess.The staff at the restaurant(x0)are soooooooooo nice,service was amazing,very attentive!!! If you go you must ask for Samuel,he is extremely knowledgable and friendly.This definitely should be on your bucket list. We cannot wait to go back!!!!!!

St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

What a wonderful, beautiful, small, extravagant hotel located in the heart of “Old Montreal”. A converted bank, turned into an exceptional property with all of the perfect finishing touches. The staff was well trained and helpful. Desk and Concierge services were excellent and attentive.
Suites were substantial, spacious, and well thought out. Sitting room was used throughout our stay, which is usually an overlooked space for us. Bedroom, bedding and extras, including European style turn down was well appreciated and enjoyed. The bath was exceptional with shower, full tub and “excessive” towels that my wife truly enjoys!!. My only complaint was their surcharge for wireless room internet which seemed unnecessary as you could access their wifi downstairs in the small reception room with their special code .. but which I found, also worked up in our room!
The XO Restaurant in the hotel was a wonderful, complete meal. Poached salmon and Orange Beef with wine were tremendous! We completely enjoyed the service and quality here.
In all, this is an excellent, complete hotel that caters to their guests with elegance and a style that many good hotels overlook or ignore on a regular basis. Definitely on my “return list”!

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Impeccable, quiet, good service, excellent restaurant

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Montreal area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My wife and I celibrated our 35th wedding aniversary at Hotel Le St-James this Septemeber.

We have travelled extensively so it was a joy to stay at a Hotel so close to our home as we live in a suburb of Montreal. The Hotel has an "Amore Package" which includes a night in a beautifull room, a cocktail upon arrival, breakfast in the excellent restaurant XO, and a massage in their phenominal spa.

Check out their website, and if you have chance try Hotel Le St-James. By the way, the Hotel is located in Beautiful Old Montreal and was it was fun to re-connect and be tourists in our ownwith fabulous city.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Okay, it's the most expensive hotel in Montreal but the service, the charm and the suites are just spectacular.

We booked using our Platinum AmEx card (you have to book online to get the benefits) and the benefits were great. 4pm check out. Check. $100 food/bev credit. Check. The best part was the upgrade to a suite. What an incredible room with 20 plus foot ceilings, a massive four post bed and a bathroom with 24 towels..gorgeous big seemingly brand new towels.

Suite 301 (the Maxwell Suite) is on the third floor and is ultra private. Only two rooms on the floor, both are suites. The room was very Paris feeling and the bathroom was enormous with everything again just perfect.

Downside...it's a super luxe five star hotel and the prices reflect that across the board. Our late night room service was very very good (veal steak, salmon, shrimp cocktail, massive onion soup, berries w/ cream) but it was half as much as our room for one night...again pricey but well worth it.

We had drinks in the bar - very charming servers and the bartender took our "requirements" for drinks and created two top notch cocktails. Savoy worthy even.

We had breakfast in XO - the service was good but not perfect. The food was good but again not perfect. Note to the kitchen...toast the muffin used in the Eggs Benedict or the muffin just turns into a soggy muffin.

The decor in XO, well, you'll either love it or hate it. It's eclectic without a doubt but does have a feel of 1989 just a bit. The changing colored lights are interesting but too prominent. The large screen TV's, that's just a big azz mistake if you ask me. They do not belong anywhere in the public's view when you're in such a fine hotel and restaurant. Dare I say...they just look tacky hanging on the wall. If an event requires them, bring them up from storage.

Overall - the people make the place and the room was delightful in a big grand way. You will know that it's something special the moment you walk in the front door.

Room Tip: Platinum American Express - Fine Hotels and Resorts
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Le St-James? Share your experiences!