“Good late night place” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Rising Sun, Maryland
“Good late night place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Good, diner type food. Big portions and OK prices. If I arrive in West Island late, which I often do, this is where I go to eat.

Visited August 2012

montreal
“Not great but an old stand by”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Food is nothing to write home about. Just a standard deli that's been around a long time. Use to be popular and now it just is...good thing is that it is open really late

Visited August 2011
Montreal, Canada
“overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

regular deli type food but expensive service average

Visited March 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Bad service, good food, expensive for what I got”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

In a nut shell: don't go there is you are in any kind of hurry because service is slow and bad (in the middle of the afternoon anyway), and if you do not want to pay 7$ for a small smoke-meat sandwich (nothing else included), stick to the burgers which are not only huge and excellent, but they come with fries and a pickle for only a few $$ extra.

The long story: My hubby and I were shopping and decided to take a break and have a quick late lunch at Chenoys. Maybe it was because it was 3pm but the service was terrible. Because I made the mistake of not being ready to order right away (the waiter gave us barely 2 minutes to sit down and browse the menu before asking us if we were ready), we had to wait another 10 min before he decided to come back. The whole time I could see him near the cash talking to another staff member and they were throwing some kind of ball at each other and laughing. My 2nd mistake was to ask a few questions before giving him my order. He sighed as if I was this big burden. My third mistake was to answer no when he asked me if a diet pepsi was OK when I had asked for a diet coke. I asked for water instead. He gave me this long suffering look and went away.

That was the last time we saw him before he dropped (yes drop is the word) our food on the table about 20 min later and tried to run away, but we were successful in stopping him and asking for mayo for my husband's fries. This time he came back with the mayo right away but we did not see him for the rest of the meal.

He never brought our glasses of water and the Sprite my husband had ordered, and we had to ask another waitress to please bring us water.

About the food: my smoke meat sandwich was excellent if tiny and since I wanted salad instead of fries, I had to order the sandwich by itself (at 7$) and the small chef salad separate (at 6$) instead of the smoke-meat sandwich platter. The salad seemed huge at first until I realised that it was only a third of an iceberg lettuce head with 2 slices of tomatoes and cucumbers cut in two. At that price I could have had a nice entrée of green salad with chicken elsewhere. My husband ordered the double cheeseburger platter which was enormous and came with fries and a pickle. It was delicious and very reasonably priced.

Finally, they had a big group of people sitting down at the tables near the hallway were the restrooms are and they were blocking the hallway so my husband had to squeeze like crazy to go past them. Not very smart of the staff when more than half the restaurant was empty!

• Visited March 2012