“Great special 2 for 21$ !!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
montreal
“Great special 2 for 21$ !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I love this restaurant, and now they have a spectacular special,
2 meals for 21$ !!!
soup, (pea last night) and a choice of about 7 main courses.
I had the roast beef sandwhich with fries, and my son had the pulled pork sandwich
with fries (on a great onion roll, I'm guessing snowdon bakery ?)
I also noticed a fish dish and a vegetarian dish.
Delicious as usual and very reasonably priced.
Try it, you'll like it !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

montreal
“Finally a decent steak house on the West Island.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Food: I started off with their new tapas menu. The salmon tar tar was the best I have had on the west island. The mini pulled pork sandwich was the best sandwich I have ever had outside Cuba. For the main course I tried the steak-frite. I do not know what the other guy was complaining about, that was one tender piece of beef, and for the price, you can not get better than that. Also the french fries are worth the trip alone, I think they season them in some sort of cajun spice with fresh rosemary.

Beverages:
-The man who served me mixed an excellent martini. I think it was called a blue glacial... but I had a few...
- Had a great selection of wine by the glass. I had a few glasses of massi at a fairly decent price.

Service: I was served by Jeffrey, a face I recognized from the old biftheque. He was prompt with the drinks, passionate about the menu and wine. Very professional.

Ambiance:
-Beautiful restaurant, smooth jazz playing, Clean washrooms. Only downside was there were only 4 tables on a tuesday night.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Canada
“Very disappointing and expensive for what you get”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

February 4th, 2012
My wife and I tried this restaurant for the 1st time and were extremely disappointed. We both had the same dish from the Table D'Hote (steak frites which was flank steak) because there was very little choice on the Table d'Hote menu which appealed to us. Although the meat and the coffee were good, the rest of the meal was less than ordinary. The salad, although presented very nicely, was nothing special, consisting of what appeared to be the mixed lettuce from Costco in a fancy presentation. The French Fries were average. You would think they would want to impress their customers with a nice dessert - this was hardly the case. It was a small piece of what we would term "birthday cake" (maybe 2 inches square) and alot of icing. It was not even offered to us. The coffee was good. Overall we cannot recommend this restaurant. They are fooling themselves if they think they can compete with what exists in the way of restaurants, either in D.D.O. or Montreal. They seem to believe that they rate with some of the great restaurants in Montreal of which there are many. I predict that they will not last long unless they shape up and get their prices, quality, quantity and service in line with other restaurants.

The service was attentive, perhaps too attentive. There were only three tables which had patrons (Saturday night between 6 and 7:30 P.M. for a total of about 12 people in all). The waitress was overly aggressive; actually she was obnoxiously aggressive (but we did not penalize her and tipped her generously just the same believing that this was the poor training she received from her employers). She also asked some foolish questions, for example, "would you like some water?", "would you like a basket of bread?" (consisting of two rolls); however, she completely failed to offer us the dessert that accompanied the Table d'Hote and tried to sell us an a la carte dessert instead. She was constantly on top of us - too much so but I guess she really didn't have anything else to do since the restaurant was basically empty (and we can understand why).

I was also told that they have their own web site but I was unable to open any of the headings on the web site. They also advertise either erroneously or purposefully incorrectly. They show rib steak on the picture advertising the restaurant but I did not see rib steak on the menu (unless I missed it), they offer rack of lamb as a meat on their grill menu but it does not consist of a full rack but rather a half rack, the web site indicates that they accept AMEX but they do not, etc., etc., etc.

While my wife and I thought we were going out for a nice dinner we were sadly let down and left discussing how much we did not enjoy ourselves. All in all they believe that they are fooling the public but not for long.

Good luck just the same.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
bistrogrill21, General Manager at Bistro Grill 21, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
After reading your comment, it cannot be constructed as review but more of a rant. There are multiples contradictions inside this review so I will only state facts. Based on everything you wrote, I’m not even sure you reviewed the right restaurant.

We accept amex, visa, mastercard and debit.

Our website is fully functional. (That goes for mobile devices as well)

We claim proudly that our steak-frites is a flank steak

We have rib steak on our menu (right above the rack of lamb)

We use organic baby greens for our salads

All our desserts from the menu are homemade (crème brulées, tiramisu, cheese cakes, etc…)

Our table d’hote steak frite cost 25$, it includes a soup or salad, 8 oz flank steak with home fresh fries, a dessert and a coffee. Are steak-frites is 19$ alone. No one has a steak under 20$ in this area. (Excluding hamburger steaks our course! Those belong in pubs and burger joints and that’s just super!)

Our servers take pride in the quality of service they provide. We do offer bread refills if you run out and the main course is not finished avoiding waste. We do this because we warm the bread to order.

We never ask for water refills we give them till our customers depart.

We are always fully honest with our customers, our prices are clearly stated on all our menus, our food looks exactly like all the pictures we have up on the internet. We also do everything we can to accommodate all our customers.
Thank you for your time.

Erick Patenaude
Montreal
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Went last night with my boyfriend. .The bread was just poor - it was a bun with sesame seeds on it. Something you would find a cheap diner. Started off with a glass of wine on the house. Which was a nice touch..but it wasn't good. We both ordered a salad - my fav. part of the meal. The dressing was very good! The meal wasnt impressive. We both had a steak (luke warm), came with vegetables that were DRENCHED with garlic. The potatoes were good though.
The decor is very nice! However the music is terrible. They were playing Foo-Fighters..then Jack Johnson. Didn't make it a nice ambiance. Music is very important and we felt like we were at cage aux sports or something. Bad choice of music.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
montreal
“Great food, prepared and served with attention to detail !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Went last night, (my first evening visit) Started with deicious mushroom soup. Don't order the "Fred's ribs" unless you are a big eater. They were superb ! Giant beef ribs, fall-off the bones (3) I shared bites with 3 others at the table, and still was full ! Apple strudel for dessert (compliments of the chef) My wife had B.C. red snapper, our friends both had
roast beef. All was excellent, and reasonably priced. I plan on being back often for lunch and dinner (I'm not in that neighbourhood for breakfast unfortunately.

• Visited October 2011