“Location is great but service is terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal

You added Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal to your Saves list
Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   445 rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste, Montreal, Quebec H2Y2Z7, Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #44 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Arlington, Virginia
“Location is great but service is terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My service experience at this hotel on April 3-4, 2014 was the absolute worst service I have ever experienced during any hotel stay. I travel frequently on business and personal travel and often stay at Marriott Hotels. However, I will never stay at a Marriott again. The problems began from the moment I arrived and have lingered since well after I left. I asked for a quiet room and, instead, was placed across from the laundry room. When I complained about it, I was told that I was wrong. Only after I insisted, was I moved to an actual quiet room. Later, when I had to leave suddenly due to a medical emergency (which the staff knew that I was dealing with the entire time), they charged me a day rate. I have never had to pay a day rate at a Marriott hotel when I had to leave early even when it was after the usual check out time (in the past I have left early due to my work suddenly ending sooner than expected or, sadly, one other time due to a family emergency). Then, when I made some collect calls from the hotel room (with the expectation that they would not be charged to my room, per the information in the hotel's binder) in exact accordance with the instructions they provided in the hotel manual, they charged me instead for long distance calls. The absolute worst part about all of this was that when I complained about it, they treated me as if I was lying and as if they did me all kids of favors while I was there. They acted as if the room that I paid for was an upgrade, when in fact the type of room that I had is exactly what I paid for and nothing more. Then, they acted as if they were doing me a favor since they moved me to a new room (after I complained about being put it in the wrong time of room in the first place). They were not upgrading me...they were correcting a mistake that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Then, they accused me of calling numbers that do not accept collect calls. I know with absolute certainty that I only made phone calls to collect call numbers on the hotel room phone. I made numerous other long distance calls on my cell phone addressing the medical emergency. I know the difference and am not lying about that. Each time I have complained, their response is that they "went above and beyond" and I should just be so happy with their customer service and should have no complaints. I am way too busy to have spent all the time that I have trying to make things right. I would never be complaining if they had treated me fairly and more importantly hadn't called me a liar. Accept some responsibility for how you treat your customers and the manner in which you address complaints. If you call this "above and beyond" service, then you have a lot to learn. I am shocked by the number of positive reviews for this hotel. They are obviously posted by people who have not experienced true customer service. Sadly, when I am able to return to Montreal one day, I will not be staying here. That is a shame because the location really is superb.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ilona A, General Manager at Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear luckyhoo1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, and apologize for the issues you experienced. We will definitely take your comments under consideration and do our utmost to ensure these types of situations do not reoccur. However, I can assure you that to my knowledge, our team did the absolute best within their power to accommodate your needs during your stay with us, and to help you resolve any outstanding issues after your departure. Our goal is to always exceed our guest's expectations, and I am sorry we were unable to do so this time.

Ilona Andrassy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. We had a room that slept 3. In the room was one king size bed and one pull out coach. Once the coach was pulled out, it was butted with the bed. There was no walkway for the person that occupied the other side of the bed to go to the bathroom(which was me). I had to wake my spouse up and wait until he was out of bed, so that I could use the bathroom. It was very difficult for me to manuever myself across the bed. It was a very poor furniture arrangement.
Pool was cold and shallow. We did not have hot water at four in the morning either to take a shower.
On the other hand, breakfast was phenomenal! Fresh waffles as well as eggs were offered along with muffins, cake, yogurt, apples, bananas, cereal, sausage, bagels, English muffins, and croissants . Milk, coffee, tea , hot coco, and juices were offered too. (This was a free breakfast)
Location of hotel was close to the Old Port, and Notre Dame Church.

Room Tip: There is a refrigerator in the room and a microwave. This is certainly a plus if you are travelling...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I had to travel to Montreal on very short notice and this was the only hotel that had availability for the duration of my stay. I was concerned when I drove down the alley to reach it but the reception was great.

This is a well run and managed hotel, the rooms are superbly clean and the front desk is very helpful. Snow on the old cobbled streets can make walking difficult but that's life. Local spots for eating and drinking are easy to walk to and are excellent.

This hotel is a hidden gem.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
kingston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

You know as a sometime road warrior every now and then you run into a place that is run like you wish all hotels were!! Spring hill suites in old montreal is that sort of property!!

Sure old montreal has its acess challenges and the suites are off an alley of a side road but once you get there enjoy! Half a block from the main dining street in old montreal, two blocks from the summer hub. Easy metro access! What is not to like along with a stylish room, popular breakfast and attentive service. Wow if only very trip could feature this property's attention to detail.

Room Tip: Top floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Ilona A, General Manager at Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear socrates1375,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor, and for your positive feedback! Our whole team works hard to ensure we exceed our guests' expectations, and we are very glad we succeeded during your stay with us!

We hope to have the pleasure or welcoming you back in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Just got back from Montreal and enjoyed this hotel for an overnight. I had a beautiful bright suite, with living room, bathroom, and nice master bedroom with King Size Bed that was very comfortable. Hotel and room were very clean. Upon arrival they gave us a free drink in the bar next door, which was a very nice touch, and some wonderful maple candies. Only complaint was that check in desk only had 1 staff available and a line was forming. It took awhile to check in, although I do give the hotel credit, as they soon after brought in a second staff person to pick up the pace.

I had a nice dinner and drink next door at the restaurant then took a relaxing walk through Old Montreal. The location of this hotel is wonderful, 2 blocks from Notre Dame Bassilica. Had a good night sleep and woke up to a standard, but nice breakfast buffet.

I would definitely stay here again when coming through Montreal for my business or personal travels.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

This hotel was very nice the room was very spacious .We arrived around 2am and our check in was no problem.. It was great that the valet look after parking our car.I was impress with the buffet breakfast good selection to chose from.

The staff was great. Would stay there again as the location was very central.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Tampere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This hotel is very well located in Old Montreal. Staff is nice and really helpful. Beds are comfortable and sleep quality is good. There is enough TV channels to choose from. WiFi is fast and reliable. There is a swimming pool. Rooms are clean and spacious. The only thing that was bad was the breakfast. On weekdays it was eatable but at weekend it was the works breakfast I have ever seen. And will see! Despite the breakfast the hotel is good and highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ilona A, General Manager at Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Petri P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our breakfasts though. Per SpringHill Suites standards, we revamped our morning choices to offer more healthy options, a greater variety, and more ways to personnalize your breakfast. As well, we have different weekend and weekday choices so our longer stay guests have some new to look forward too each morning. Usually our waffle station which is available on weekends is a bit hit with all our guests!

Thank you for helping us to improve our hotel.

Ilona Andrassy

Been to Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal? Share your experiences!