“Boutique feel in Marriot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal

You added Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal to your Saves list
Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   445 rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste, Montreal, Quebec H2Y2Z7, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #44 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Ringwood, New Jersey
“Boutique feel in Marriot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Small feeling boutique hotel in Old Town. New spacious room; ours was conveniently across from the pool much to kids delight. I told them there wasn't a pool so imagine their surprise.
Hotel was booked unseen as this was a detour back to states from Ottawa, we were pleasantly surprised at location & overall feel. Room was perfect with efficiency, breakfast was an upgrade even from the Residence Inn Marriott we stayed in Ottawa; another pleasant surprise and staff were great too. Would stay again sooner rather than later. Love Old town!

Room Tip: If you have kids across from the pool is a great option.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Bangor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here in late October 2012, and found this hotel through an online search engine. Its right in the middle of Old Montreal, a 5 minute walk to Notre- Dame. Two Metro stations are within 10 minutes walking distance (Champ De Mars and Place d'Armes). If location is key to you, this hotel is very convenient to tourist attractions, and to certain business buildings.

Room had two doubles, and though a little dated, was clean and tidy. Very spacious. Rooms facing the front of the hotel don't have much of a view, but the rooms in back (on higher floors) have a decent view of the City Hall and court buildings. Despite being in downtown, its on a quiet cobblestone street, with cafes and shops within a block. Breakfast was alright, though nothing to write home about.

Here's my big caveat: the service stinks. The front desk staff was a little rude when asking for assistance, recommendations for dining. I've stayed in several Montreal hotels, and this was by far the most lacking in service. Even the cheaper hotels on St Denis street were friendlier (another story).

I think that I would stay again, but I do hope that the staff was just having a rough patch. Rooms are nice, location is unbeatable for the price. But this area is not lacking in other accommodations, so check out all deals before making your choice.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors facing the BACK of the hotel, they have a nicer view than the front r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilona A, General Manager at Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear kamikaze 200,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We were pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us!

We were surprised by your comment regarding our Front Desk service however. All our employees work very hard to ensure impeccable service to all our guests, and we apologize that we fell short during your stay with us. If you wish to call directly (514-875-4333) in order to elaborate on which staff members you dealt with, we will follow up to make sure this situation is rectified.

As for the view, we are located in the heart of Old Montreal, which is a great location, but also one in which we are surrounded by other buildings. We do however have some rooms on higher floors and facing the back of the hotel which have preferable views. We are certainly happy to assign those upon request and availability!

Many thanks for choosing our hotel, and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you in the future.

Best regards,

Ilona Andrassy
Saint John, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'll start off with the positives of the hotel, as our experience certainly wasn't all bad...

The rooms are a decent size, with a good kitchenette, great sized double bed that was relatively comfortable and it was generally clean, if getting slightly outdated in places (bathroom especially).

The location is very good with access to the old part of Montreal, including the old port. Walking distance to Saint Catherine's, though easier on transit.

So, the not so good... This particular hotel had been booked and paid for (attempted...) by a family member as a Christmas present. My wife and I were travelling for a few days across Quebec and we were looking forward to two days in the Marriott in Montreal - this was the "treat" after a few days in cheaper (though nice) hotels. We arrived after a long drive and although they had our room booked they had not received/taken payment. We were made to feel as though this were our fault; despite the fact we had the confirmation that payment details had been faxed and received by the hotel. Apparently our family should not only have faxed both reservations and the hotel, but also rung the hotel to let them know a fax had been sent through. This upset me, how difficult is it to pre-pay for a hotel room and have it work? Then to be told that it was our fault? The attitude of the person on the front desk was poor, and we ended up paying for the hotel room on our credit card. They lose two stars for this fiasco.

The other star they lose is for little stuff; we'd been staying at a hotel the previous night in Quebec City that was just over half the price, yet had newer, softer towels, softer toilet paper and less worn furniture. It sounds snotty, but when you're paying approx $200 a night you expect a little better than John Wayne toilet paper.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear David T,

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to comment on your stay at the SpringHill Suites Old Montreal. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations and to ensure your stay is as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

We are very sorry to hear that there were issues upon arrival with your prepaid stay. As all our Front Desk personnel are very used to these types of transactions, I was surprised to hear that you had a difficult check-in. Please feel free to call me at the hotel directly (514-875-4333) to provide more details so we can follow up in an appropriate fashion to ensure this type of situation does not reoccur.

As for the towels and toilet paper, we will be gradually upgrading our linens and toiletries throughout 2013 in order to provide more comfort for our guests.

We thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites, and once again apologize for the fact that your stay was not to your satisfaction.

Best regards,

Ilona Andrassy
Keene, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The location, amenities and service were the best! Walk to over a dozen fine restaurants within 5-10 minutes. This was our first stay here, but we will choose it again without hesitation. Parking is valet, but it's easy in and out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Clean, spacious room. Comfortable bed, good water preasure in the shower. The hotel has a hottub and a small indoor pool (which I did not get a chance to try). Well located in Old Montreal. Only negative part of stay, when I asked for a "good breakfast place nearby" I got sent to eat at a slightly "tourist trap" restaurant just around the corner. This was my second stay at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked my last minute trip to Montreal for a getaway, birthday celebration for my mum and business. I was greeted by a staff member who remembered me from my previous phone call and I breezed through check in.

Although I wanted to take an extended nap after my travel, I was curious to explore beyond the quiet tucked away nook in Old Montreal where the Springhill Suites is. A self-appointed City Hiker, I enjoy long walks in concrete jungles. I walked with my mum to St. Catherine the epicenter for shopping, perfect for Black Friday deals. The trek was not for the faint of heart and a quick subway ride to the area from the closest subway station (10 minute walk away) will be a fun way to see the city too, although not as stimulating. I walked to that street every day of my stay, not because there was a need for places to go near the hotel, but to see the city through some sidewalk stomping.

Restaurants are only a 5 minute walk away into Old Montreal. From The Keg to mom and pop stops, we enjoyed shopping and dinner all steps away from each other.

My large king sized bed, kitchenette, den and living room were all apart of my spacious room. The hotel was a bit worn, but very clean and everything was in place. My stay was quiet and mainly spent away from the hotel other than for breakfast or rest but my suite was incredibly comfortable too.

I will definitely be back to stay at the Springhill Suites upon returning to the amazing city!

Room Tip: Choose the corner rooms if you can afford them. They're separate from the rest and it's so q...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is the first place my Hubby and I ever stayed in Montreal and we've stayed there several times since!! The rooms are great, the service is wonderful, there is a nice breakfast. They are tucked away on one of the small "side" streets but in walking distance of every place we like to go! Will definitely stay there again and again!

Room Tip: We always go for the King size bed! Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal? Share your experiences!