“Business + Pleasure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal

Save Saved
You added Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal to your Saves list
Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   445 rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste, Montreal, Quebec H2Y2Z7, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #42 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Business + Pleasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked my last minute trip to Montreal for a getaway, birthday celebration for my mum and business. I was greeted by a staff member who remembered me from my previous phone call and I breezed through check in.

Although I wanted to take an extended nap after my travel, I was curious to explore beyond the quiet tucked away nook in Old Montreal where the Springhill Suites is. A self-appointed City Hiker, I enjoy long walks in concrete jungles. I walked with my mum to St. Catherine the epicenter for shopping, perfect for Black Friday deals. The trek was not for the faint of heart and a quick subway ride to the area from the closest subway station (10 minute walk away) will be a fun way to see the city too, although not as stimulating. I walked to that street every day of my stay, not because there was a need for places to go near the hotel, but to see the city through some sidewalk stomping.

Restaurants are only a 5 minute walk away into Old Montreal. From The Keg to mom and pop stops, we enjoyed shopping and dinner all steps away from each other.

My large king sized bed, kitchenette, den and living room were all apart of my spacious room. The hotel was a bit worn, but very clean and everything was in place. My stay was quiet and mainly spent away from the hotel other than for breakfast or rest but my suite was incredibly comfortable too.

I will definitely be back to stay at the Springhill Suites upon returning to the amazing city!

Room Tip: Choose the corner rooms if you can afford them. They're separate from the rest and it's so q...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

616 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is the first place my Hubby and I ever stayed in Montreal and we've stayed there several times since!! The rooms are great, the service is wonderful, there is a nice breakfast. They are tucked away on one of the small "side" streets but in walking distance of every place we like to go! Will definitely stay there again and again!

Room Tip: We always go for the King size bed! Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from November 22nd to November 26th, 2012.

Pros:
Very polite staff
Breakfast buffet included - make your own waffles.
Excellent location. It's in the heart of old montreal so lots of cute restaurants near by.

Cons:
Very understaffed!
The breakfast buffet was so crowded - no place to sit and eat - no waitstaff to get more plates or cutlery, kept running out of food
Housekeeping leaves by 5pm so no turndown service after that time. Also no fresh towels when requested after 5pm.
Housekeeping did not clean the room until 3-4pm everyday.
The beds are very poor quality. No two piillows are alike. It's like the hotel just bought whatever was on sale and put them in the rooms. You can feel the springs on the mattress as you sleep on them.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ilona A, General Manager at Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Bonjour nishaf123,

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to post a comment about our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry to hear that you found that the breakfast service could be improved. We do strive to ensure adequate staffing during high occupancy periods, but it seems that during your stay we fell short of the mark. Rest assured your comments have been addressed with the Kitchen Supervisor, and we are looking into various solutions to ensure more efficient service during peak rush hour periods at breakfast.

As well, as we are a select service hotel, there is no turndown service offered but we do have housemen available 24 hours a day to refresh towels or provide for additional requests after 6pm. Our pillows will be replaced as of January 2013, as part of the ongoing improvements to quality required by Marriott Brand Standards.

Many thanks again for choosing SpringHill Suites Old Montreal for your stay,

Ilona Andrassy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal in the early summer with our two boys (ages 5 and 2). The location of the hotel was in walking distance from many attractions and not too far from the metro so we were very easily able to get around. We parked our car using the valet service-- which was $20 a day i believe.

Our room was of avergae size for 2 double beds. The room was clean and had a separate seating area for the TV. Having a suite feel was great for when the kids were napping. Internet also worked very well.

The staff were all very courteous. The breakfast provided was wonderful-- lots of choices including waffles.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New Bern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Springhill Suites in Old Montreal has a good location, comfortable beds, breakfast included, helpful and friendly staff. We enjoyed the extra space a suite provides as well as the "kitchenette". We were able to peak in some rooms at the L hotel and those rooms were very small in comparison.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Like everyone says, this is situated very well in old town. For my wife & I travelling with 2 kids (11 & 9), it meant we could walk around old town easily and it was very handy for going out to eat each night.
Hotel itself certainly had its quirks. For a suite hotel, room was very small - the sofa bed for the kids pulled out to completely block off the room, surely not safe given fire safety scrutiny these days ?! The swimming pool is tiny and very run down. There was a strange setup with the bar which I think is an adjoining separate restaurant. On the first night when we asked reception if there was a bar, he said yes but (at 9pm) he thought they were closing up for the night. He then rang to the bar and said actually yes, it was still open. So when we went in, we were surprised to find the place was very lively and quite full ! It did take forever to get a drink in there both that night and the following night but the place itself was fun & trendy.
The breakfast situation is something alot of people have already commented on, but it is something that needs calling out again...the food was good, and the staff there did great coping with the normal pushy people you get at these things .... but it could be easily solved with either a few extra tables or slightly longer opening hours so you don't get the mad rush right at the end.
All told, we had a really good trip and enjoyed the city. We travelled over the US thanksgiving long weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We just came back from a 3 day trip to Montreal during Thanksgiving. SpringHill Suites Old Montreal is very well located, close to everything, the room was good too, it looked clean, not big, but not so small either. Beds were comfortable, our kids stayed on the sofa bed and did not complain. Breakfast was nice, with croissants and other kinds of bread, butter, cream cheese, waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage links, a very good coffee and a variety of teas, 3 juice flavors, yogurts and even sliced cheese. My husband and kids used the (small) indoor pool, but they said the water was too cold. There is a hot tub too, but nobody should stay there for more than 20 min. since it is not recommended. In case I would return to Montreal, I would stay at this hotel again and would also recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott SpringHill Suites Old Montreal? Share your experiences!