“Poor Management, Non-existent Communication and Out For The Money!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel des Arts

You added Hotel des Arts to your Saves list
Hotel des Arts
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2060 rue St-Dominique, Montreal, Quebec H2X 2X1, Canada (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #127 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Poor Management, Non-existent Communication and Out For The Money!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Hotel looks okay i guess, was a cheapish choice for two young travellers but is rather basic overall; we only planned to sleep here nothing else.

However i never got to stay here, I made a mistake with the reservation on Booking.com but the hotel would not allow any amendments therefore we had to cancel the entire reservation costing us £204 of our hard earned travel money. We made the booking early Novermber 2014, the reservation was for 6 nights in early April 2015. Having 5 months available to find someone else to fill the room once we had cancelled reservation. We emailed Booking.com to try and find a solution to the problem and I also emailed the Hotel myself. A low level employee emailed back stating that nothing could be done about the charge but I could talk to management to try and find a solution. I emailed and tried to phone the manager of the hotel but heard nothing back which I think is very poor to say they run a hotel and probably deal with customers on a daily basis.

Booking.com tried their best to communicate with the hotel with little response either, weeks later the hotel responded to a solution that Booking.com came up with which was to reinstate the initial reservation which they had charged us for to begin with. The hotel said 'they could not reinstate the original booking as no rooms are available for the dates in question' and left it at that. However looking on Booking.com for the exact same dates and room type this hotel appears stating they have rooms available to book.

At the end of the day I know I made a mistake with the original booking BUT we had NO help from the hotel des arts to find a solution, we had NO communication from anyone in management to help with the situation. Which makes me think the management at the hotel were happy just to charge us the £204 and not make any effort to communicate or help us in any way.

Im sure the Hotel is an okay place to stay BUT if you expect people working in the hospitality industry to try find a solution or just be able to communicate with you this is NOT THE PLACE TO STAY!!!!!!!.

Room Tip: Dont stay here, Managament dont care!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel is ok. You can see that it's old and it would need a few renovation. But the location is GREAT. I had a music show at the Metropolis and it's right down the street. It's close of everything.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

stayed there October 18th. Room decor was current in the 1970s. No mini fridge in room. Instead of a flat screen TV, we had an old clunker with limited channels on it. No bedbugs, but multiple spider webs on ceiling and behind furniture. Found a long dark hair in our clean towels and got more from front desk. Oh, and had to pay $25 for parking 1km away and had to walk with luggage.

Our windows had bars on them, which made us worried if fire were to break out. There was garbage and a squatter's sleeping spot right outside our window. The room reeked of air freshener when we got in, so we had to open the windows to clear the air.

Breakfast offerings were stale bagels, croissants, cereal, coffee, juice and bananas. The coffee was so weak it wouldn't wake up a gerbil. Staff was polite and courteous, but that's the only good thing that can be said about this hotel. Would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor. There are bars on windows and you get a lovely view of the garbage p...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

I stayed here for a night only because I was able to get a discount on a hotel booking site. The room was clean but you can make out that the hotel has not been upgraded in the while. The carpets were old and so was the furniture. I would recommend you to only stay here if you get a room through on a discount as I am sure you would get better rooms else where. The internet worked and the breakfast was nice and fresh.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Brno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2014

I stayed in this hotel 4 nights from friday 5th of september. My room (windows to street) was clean, bed comfortable, internet working all the time. And I have got really good price because I payed in advance. No problems during my stay.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
St. Catharines, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

I had high hopes for this hotel but not a good choice to stay. Close to the night life of Montreal with a beautiful view of garbage out the window. Noisy room and the lights don't even plug in. Unpleasant and unhelpful staff.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

This place is a mega dump. Personally I'm fine with the location but then again I'm okay with the seedier parts of Montreal. Location is great if you're going to a show at Metropolis or Club Soda and want to hit Foufs after. Normally I'm not too picky about hotels because I'm just there to sleep, shower and hit the road but I could never feel comfortable or clean in this place and I wouldn't waste my money here again. The backpackers hostel is cheaper and nicer.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel des Arts? Share your experiences!