“Reasonably priced.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel des Arts

Save Saved
You added Hotel des Arts to your Saves list
Hotel des Arts
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2060 rue St-Dominique, Montreal, Quebec H2X 2X1, Canada (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #132 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Mi
“Reasonably priced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you go to Montreal for sight-seeing then this hotel will do since you won't be staying inside the entire time. It is clean and about a 15 min walk to the downtown area. The location is kinda sketchy, I just didn't like the graffitis and not so clean surrounding area. For the price, I'd say it is reasonable. There is a continental breakfast, free wifi and staff were nice. Room was ok, we stayed in a King bed room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The hotel is not the easiest to find as there are a lot of one way streets and it is on an incline. However once we found it the staff were welcoming and helpful. There is a lift and although the room was small, it was clean and tidy with a comfortable large bed and clean bathroom with white fluffly towels.

toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

On September 3rd my mother and I booked this hotel the day of our stay because there was a deal for $40 (room chosen when you check in). We were thrilled with our room, it had a king bed and a jacuzzi. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the washroom was good, there was a/c. The only problem is when I woke up I noticed some bites up and down my forearms. I've had experiences with bed bug bites before and I am very reactive to them (they start to show up within 24hrs or less). My mother checked herself but there were no raised bumps to indicate a bite for sure, but we did see a couple reddish areas on her hands that were suspicious (bites can show up days later). She also said she woke up during the night and felt a bug on her neck, which she crushed but we couldn't find it in the morning (there did appear to be a small smear of blood on the sheets though).

We showed the manager and he told us it just looked like hives to him, that there should be a dot with blood in the centre. Well I've never had hives in my life and I have no allergies. I've had bed bug bites before, I know what they look like on my body. We're not ones to complain or make a scene so we just had breakfast and left (the included breakfast is ok, toast, chocolate croissants, cereal, juice, coffee, tea).

Once the redness and inflammation went down a couple days later I was able to count them all. I ended up with about 75 bites. The majority were on my arms and hands, I had a few on my back, hip and legs and one on my chin. The next week was a nightmare I was so itchy and then I had to wear long sleeves to hide the embarrassment. My mother only had a few (I guess they liked me better) but hers turned into painful blood red blisters (maybe due to her diabetes).

This was the only hotel we stayed in, they didn't come from somewhere else. I don't remember the room number but it was on the main floor at the end of the hall to the left. Multiple bites come from one bug as they move in a line, but clearly there was still a lot of them and it's not a new infestation. When I booked there was only one review about bed bugs, now I see there is a bunch and one mentions the front desk told her they treated for them before. It just proves that manager knew all along they had a problem.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

we stayed in the hotel between 9th and 12th September 2013. we had a very warm reception at the front desk and check-in was very quick. The location is excellent and the room and the bath were very clean. the room was on the fourth floor but there is an elevator. The accessories in the room were minimal but sufficient. the air-conditioning was not upto the mark with deficiency in cooling. however, since we were out most times, this was not felt to be a great handicap. storage space in the room is minimal. there was coffee and tea through out the day. breakfast was adequate. the housekeeping was efficient with daily change of towels etc. the best part was that breakfast could be carried to the room(trays were provided) and can be had at leisure. if one is looking for five or four star comfort, this is not the place. the price was very low -so one has to put up with paper cups and plates-but the location and warmth more than compensate for this.

Room Tip: select a room on the higher floors, if an option is given. less noisy and slightly more spacious.
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The service was not great, and more importantly, when it was time to go to sleep, 2 spiders crawled out of my bed and I found 3 more around the room. There were spiderwebs all around the room and the individual on service could not move me to a new room. The walls were splattered and not clean. I did not sleep well and did not find the hotel clean at all. I could not wait to get out the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I came to Montreal for a getaway after our wedding. We got a good deal from hotels.com for 74/night. Do not stay on the 4th floor which we did room 416. That floor has been treated multiple times for bed bugs as per the front desk clerk at the time. We were up till 6 am on the first day waiting for another room. The manager was supposed to meet with us later on that day but didn't show up. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here even though the price is appealing. Their idea of a continental breakfast is cereal, orange juice, coffee, no tea and toast only and bananas. There is nothing nice about this place except a price.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We booked this hotel through Hotwire's "secret hot rate hotels" option for $45/night plus taxes.

The check in staff and cleaning crew were all helpful. They don't proactively welcome you or smile a whole lot, but they assist you with all your questions and needs. We were allowed to store our bags at reception for a few hours after check out time. If you want to stay beyond the 12pm check out time its $10 per hour (if you just want to store your bags there's no charge). Check in time was 3pm. Note that there is only one small elevator which can only hold about 4 people at a time.

Breakfast was decent - Coffee/tea/juice, bagels, croissants, bananas, jam, peanut butter, butter, cornflakes and cheerios, milk. They have a mini fridge, toaster and microwave in the breakfast area (which, by the way, is at the reception). There is also a pop vending machine and ice machine nearby.

Our room (407) was pretty small but we didn't spend much time there so it didn't matter to us. There was an air conditioner and TV in the room, not much else. The bed was okay (bit creaky), but the pillows were really uncomfortable - it looked/felt like half the pillow was missing from the pillowcase. There is free wifi in the rooms (was able to watch Netflix) and free local calls. The washroom was small but served its purpose. There's a hair dryer. The soap and shampoo provided was very basic, I suggest bringing your own. The view outside our window was non-existent but the location of the hotel made up for it - very close to a lot of sights.

For the price I paid, I was satisfied with my stay at the hotel. If you are low maintenance cost conscious kinda person this is a good hotel. If you need a good nights sleep on a comfortable bed and pin-drop silence at night, then this may not be the best place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel des Arts? Share your experiences!