“comfortable and clean” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel des Arts

You added Hotel des Arts to your Saves list
Hotel des Arts
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2060 rue St-Dominique, Montreal, Quebec H2X 2X1, Canada (Formerly Econo Lodge) (Quartier des Spectacles)   |
Ranked #120 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Panama, Illinois
“comfortable and clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you're on a budget this hotel is okay. The staff were friendly and if you have any concerns they help you right away. The room was clean and good although sometimes you would hear noise from the other rooms. The location was good, it would take around 10 mins. walk to the shopping area, I just didn't like the sorrounding area, trash were all over and some graffitis on the buildings. Breakfast is available. I recommend this hotel if you'll just stay there for sleeping, since most of the time we were out sight-seeing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Gatineau, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am NOT a disdainful person. But that was just too disgusting: hair, filth, stains, stink, dust, the list of disgusting stuff we saw is endless.

Had to stay there, because we got stranded after a train was delayed. Couldn't get a room anywhere else. Had to pay 175$.

We barely slept, in our clothes, over the sheets.

I've slept in third-world country back-road huts that weren't as disgusting and noisy.

Supposed breakfast was a joke.

Room Tip: Go sleep in your car
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 5days over the march break and I can say that it looks to be as the hotel as tremendously improved from previous reviews. My experience was good , I ofcourse had low expectations when reading the reviews but after I've stayed ther I was really surprised.
Pros
Great location very close to everything
Great price
Great staff they do what they can to address your problem or concern
Clean
Comfy
Good sized rooms
Free breakfast
SAFE

Cons
Thin walls you can hear alot of noises from within the hotel an outside as well

Maids DO NOT speak English !! I was woken up really early in the morning and the maid wouldn't understand that I didn't want my room to be cleaned at that time.

When I first got to my room it had a strange scent but it went away after the first 30mins

The hill the hotel is located on is a killer to walk up

Parking not to great

My key didnt work in the door after awhile , that was fixed immediately.

For the money you are paying this is definetly a great deal , I highly recommend this hotel ,

Ill be staying here again.

If little things bother you easily find another hotel

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just spent the long Family weekend here. Staff was always friendly and attentive. If the coffee pot was empty - a simple request and there was more.
Breakfast was Montreal bagels, croissants and various breads. Nothing fancy but it was included. Wifi worked fine in the rooms. Breakfast area wasn't huge but we always managed to find a table.
Rooms were VERY clean - no complaints and although the rooms were dated - they had everything you would need to have a restful stay.
You are VERY close to all the sections of Montreal - so a cheap cab fare OR if you can stand the cold - a 10-15 mins walk to anywhere.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget - definitely good value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I traveled to Montreal on short notice, so my booking process was rather hurried. Seemingly bad reviews here on TripAdvisor made me skittish but I didn't have a lot of time to shop around, so I booked it.

My first impression was also very poor; the check-in clerk was watching TV and I had to interrupt him to check in, the place seemed a bit tacky, and the signs by the desk seemed to imply that the hotel was a bit skeezy; I don't remember what they said but "non-registered guests may not stay overnight" conveys the same general feeling.

Then I got to my room; I was in the one room on the ground floor, removed from all the other rooms which didn't help the feeling of skeeziness.

The room, however, was perfectly comfortable and, initial impressions notwithstanding, there seemed absolutely no safety issues anywhere in or around the hotel. It was convenient walking distance from the metro, it was on the same block as a really good Indian restaurant, it was $50/night and that included breakfast, though admittedly a weekend in late November is about as removed from peak season as one can get.

Plus, they were very accommodating with respect to a last-minute change; having booked a three-night stay through Expedia less than a week out, they were happy to change it to a two-night stay over the phone a day later.

And the last concerns I had about the neighborhood vanished when I realised I actually stayed in this hotel in 2008, though it was an Econo Lodge back then. The transition was apparently recent; the "do not disturb" signs still said Econo Lodge on them.

Room Tip: Don't take the room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed for one night. Wifi worked great in room, staff was friendly and very helpful. Room was clean and comfortable. Paid parking around the block a bummer... Great location within walking distance to shops and subway. Easy access to downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is at walking distance from Latin Quarter, Old Montreal, and the bus station that takes you to Quebec. It is a small hotel with comfortable and clean rooms. The hotel offers free wi-fi in the lobby but it barely works.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel des Arts? Share your experiences!