“An Excellent Tour! 5+++” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 167 Activities in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Urban Marmotte offers you great walking tours. Lasting from 3 to 6 hours, we like taking the time needed to really show you around. Our tours are flexible and capture the backpacker's spirit: no rush, easy going, very informative and enjoyable. Our tours are a good mix of main attractions and places that are off the beaten tracks. Try the Grand Tour, our famous 6 hour walking tour, showing up to eight different areas and ambiances - the perfect tour to have before exploring the city by yourself. Or take another tour like "Old Montreal in Depth", a 3 hours tour that takes the time this historical area deserves or instead visit the Old Montreal at its best with the Old Montreal by Night Tour. See our website for a complete list of tours, schedules and rates. We also offer private tours.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“An Excellent Tour! 5+++”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We took the six-hour Grand Tour, with our two teen-aged sons. It was our first introduction to Montreal and we saw everything we wanted to see and many, many sites that we did not know existed such as micro-parks, true neighborhoods and local color. That is the hallmark of a great tour. Michel was fabulous. He is very knowledgeable about his exquisite city. We especially enjoyed the pictures he showed of the city in earlier days so we could appreciate how much has changed. Michel made an effort to weave in places and information that appealed to each individual in our group. Our boys were tired but remained interested and engaged the entire time. We will leave Montreal with a true appreciation of what makes Montreal so special. Michel also gave us great recommendations for other places to visit and restaurants to try - which we did, and loved. Michel, we are toasting you with a scrumptious chocolate genache shooter! :-)

Visited August 2012

Dublin, Ireland
“Fantastic Tour, Amazing Value for the Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I decided to take this tour after reading reviews about it from tripadvisor, and I was curious about it, cos all reviews were great.

After paying through the website, I showed up at the appointment at 10 am: the Grand Tour was amazing. It went on for 6 or 7 hours, and we really got to see a lot of montreal, from the more touristic point of view of things, plus another very interesting insight of the city, going through residential areas, experiencing Montreal to the max. We took breaks here and there to eat an use the washrooms whenever we felt like it, and the tour is designed depending on the people that show up (nationality, interests, etc), so myself and the others had a really interesting tour.

Michel knew everything we asked him, plus lots of interesting facts about the city. So overall, Michel was an amazing guide, very kind, and helpful. He wrote out on our maps the best places to visit depending on our personal interests after the tour, plus what is cool to see in montreal in his personal opinion(events, breweries, restaurants).

So finally, you really do get a great deal for the $24 you invest (I really believe it's the best offer out there). I'm a tour guide in Dublin, Ireland, so I have an idea of how these things work. And at the end of the tour, you really do feel like tipping extra: he doesn't ask for it, but he really deserves it !!!

Before you do anything else, go on this tour and you will get a lot more out of your Montreal experience.

Visited August 2012
UrbanMarmotte, Owner at Urban Marmotte - Walking Tours, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for the great review. You described well the Urban Marmotte views of our Grand Tour.
I appreciated knowing about your guiding experience in Dublin and wish I can have a pint on one of your tour in the future. Cheers!
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent insight to the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

We did the Grand Tour which took around 6 hours. It includes Downtown, Old Montreal (avoids tourist end), The Latin Quarter and The Village. An excellent insight to the history of the city with a very enthusiastic guide. Extremely good value for money..

Singapore, Singapore
“Urban Marmotte is the gem of Montreal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I found out about Urban Marmotte from Trip Advisor and had no idea what to expect when i signed up for it. I had been corresponding with Michel via email for a couple of days as we were tossed up between the Montreal Grand Tour (6 hours) and the Old Montreal Tour (6 hours). In the end, we decided on the Grand Tour and I would say that it was one of the best travel decisions i have ever made. Michel was ever so accommodating with my endless questions, gave so many personal insights into the city that enabled me to know the city so intimately. There was no way that i would have been able to get to know the city without his help. He also recommended us to a great (and cheap) place for lunch in Chinatown! but i must say that my favorite part of the tour was when he made it a point to bring us to the less touristy place and showed us actual residential areas, shared stories about the people and the architecture. This tour really has everything and Montreal is really blessed to have a treasure like Michel. The tour def cost much less than it actually is worth, so tip him generously! =)

Visited May 2012
UrbanMarmotte, Owner at Urban Marmotte - Walking Tours, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for the good words. It was a nice day and I would like to congratulate your mother again for their longest walk ever. :)
For people reading, the GrandTour being a 9 to 10 km walk, I sent a "certificate" to her mother , because she was impressed with the distance she walked that day!

(Oh, and I also want to correct that the Old Montreal Tour is 3 hours and not 6 hours)
Belfast, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
“Best value walking tour ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Our walking tour of Montréal with Michel was the best value tour I have ever been on. The tour lasted over 6 hours and only cost $24!

Michel is very knowledgeable about Montréal and its history and has a very relaxed and flexible approach to guiding. He is willing to adapt the tour according to what the group wants to see. Our tour was a mix of the main attractions along with quirky things that only a local person would know about

Additionally, after the tour ended Michel emailed me with answers to some queries I raised during the tour.

My wife summarized the tour as a wander around Montréal with a knowledgeable friend and this summed up the tour very well. I cannot recommend this tour highly enough!

Visited May 2012
Thanks for the great review. It was nice to read that because when i started those walking tours, the way i was seeing it is exactly what you described in your review. So I guess UrbanMarmotte is on the right track.
Thanks again, i too enjoyed that walk. Cheers !