“Excellent food and friendly service in an authentically classic diner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nouveau Palais / Winneburger

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
London
“Excellent food and friendly service in an authentically classic diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Delicious food, excellent service and the friendly, laid-back vibe of the place made this my favourite stop on a culinary trip to Montreal. Unlike so many of the chain restaurants that clutter every city centre from Cork to Kuala Lumpar, Nouveau Palais is a true original, harking back to the days when local family diners made eating out personal, and unique. Seated in classic diner-style booths, the atmosphere feels authentic, rather than kitsch. Like the previous reviewer, some of the lovely owners - Mary-Martha, Georgia, and Jacques - happened to be sitting at the table next to me and confirmed that they had kept the diner's original features, rather than try to tart it up in some fake retro fashion. I was happy to spend a few hours there just soaking up the atmosphere, and social hubbub. A perfectly juicy burger, and crisp fries made from fresh potatoes went down a treat, and would certainly have me returning often if I could only afford the plane tickets to Montreal.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

63% Recommend
Phoenix, AZ
“Awesome restaurant in great neighborhood- kept going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Staying with friends in the Mile End , we were lucky enough to find this restaurant. First time we went we lucked upon Jacques at the bar mixing wonderful cocktails-- we were even introduced to Chef Gita and immediately loved the atmosphere. We had already eaten dinner and glanced at the menu and decided we had to come back, Second time we went was for late night tacos and the third time (yes, the third time on a one week trip!) was for an awesome Sunday brunch with the best scrambled eggs I have ever had, equally impressive homemade waffles my daughter enjoyed and Mary Martha mixing fabulous bloody mary s and mimosas ! The staff were friendly and professional, each visit was memorable. My only regret is I didn't get to try the burger! That will have to be next time.

• Visited July 2011