“Breathtaking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grumman 78

Grumman 78
Around Montreal | 630 de Courcelle, Montreal, Quebec, Montreal, Quebec H4C 3C5, Canada (Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District))
514-290-5125
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #624 of 4,416 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

It's obviously not for everyone. Some people are put off by the clothes that the servers wear, they don't get the ambience or they think the size of the bathrooms matter in a restaurant... But the food is what matters here. Because its a restaurant.

Don't count on getting a surfnturf, but do expect on getting tacos and other Mexican fusion food that will knock your footwear clean off.

Visited July 2013

Montreal, Canada
“Attended this place for an event in August”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Are the tacos any good ? Yes, they are excellent. That's where it starts and that's where it ends.

We went to their main facility for an event in August.

Here are the thoughts that come to mind when I think about my experience with Grumman 78 :

• Hipsters (Not in a good way)
• Amateurs
• Sloppy
• Overrated

Here are my 3 main problems with this place :

Number 1:

The servers are hipsters with an attitude. Basically the ''I don't care'' attitude in the way they dress and carry themselves. I basically asked for a second taco (mind you it was on a tray with over 30 tacos) and one of the servers told me ''no you can't have one, you already had one.'' I have never seen this in any event, a real taco nazi. Then when going in the back, the servers were having a taco feast, eating tacos when they were supposed to be working during the event.

Number 2 :

When I found out the cost per person for this even, I almost had a heart attack. They are ridding on the hype to milk people.

Number 3 :

I kept the best for last. When I was waiting in line for the bathroom (yes there are only 2 miniature bathrooms for a lot of people at one time). One of the assistant cooks was eating directly in the large pot of macaroni that was intended for the guests. I am not talking tasting here, she shovelled 5-6 spoons in her mouth and was eating directly out of the tray with the same spoon. Believe it or not, then a server (one of the hipsters) comes and does the same thing, however he was more reasonable dunking his same spoon in the tray only 3 times. I obviously passed on the macaroni.

I have never tried the food off the truck in the streets. But think twice before making any event at the main facility.

Once again, are the tacos good, yes they are, but who cares...

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“A bit on the higher end of tacos...but it's worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

So, everyone kept talking about the Grumman 78 taco truck and telling me I had to go; and I am so glad I did. It is a bit pricey for tacos, but they are really tasty and made with fresh ingredients.
I had a vegetarian taco and a beef taco and they also have horchata to drink, which I love! Yum!
Really inventive and leading the way for food trucks here in Montreal.
The next time you see see the Grumman 76 truck on your corner or if you stop by their permanent location, make sure stop in and treat yourself!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Canada
“Super cool "ambiance"...good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Found out about this place via Anthony Bourdain...the show of course. Finding it was an adventure. In a newly hip area, the restaurant is indeed very "hip". Tons of friendly, hip staff. Service was quick. Restaurant quirky, cool, very hip/ rustic. Our food was good....my son and his friend raved about their corn entree....my husband was pleased with his meal, as was I .....just not "overwhelmed". It was worth it...although cheap it is not. I would possibly try it again to sample some other fare.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Canada
“So laid back it's cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Grumman 78 is located in St-Henri. Probably more of a locals restaurant since its kind of in the middle of nowhere (although very close to downtown in reality). The restaurant is pretty much an old warehouse, tables are stacked up box crates, or picnic style, and the decor is low key and random.
Its a really cool place to experience, unlike any other restaurant I've been to in Montreal. It almost has a NYC trendy vibe to it and is good for all ages.
The food was actually very good. We were a party of 8 and we shared a bunch of Tacos. The menu isn't huge but there is enough option to have a good meal.
The Negative:
Service was poor. The waiter was hard to read. He was nice but at times came off arrogant. We'd order a drink, for example a Cosmo, and he would just reply with "No, you can't have that" and then be silent. That comes off a little rude, if you ask me. We would have to ask, "Why not". And then he would tell us that the bar didn't have the right ingredients for it. Well, Okay that is fine, but you can say "Sorry, the bar can't make a cosmo because they don't have the ingredients." all at once and we can avoid the awkward ordering.

Other than our waiter, who really was annoying by the end of night.... (Like offering me ice cream for dessert, and then coming back and saying we don't have any ice cream....) The food was very good and the vibe was cool.

I will go back, but pray that I don't get the same waiter.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere