“Tequila yes, food no gracias.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grumman 78

Grumman 78
Around Montreal | 630 de Courcelle, Montreal, Quebec, Montreal, Quebec H4C 3C5, Canada (Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District))
514-290-5125
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #620 of 4,416 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Montreal, Canada
“Tequila yes, food no gracias.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

For a few weeks now a few friends had been talking about this “great” new restaurant that was going to blow my mind and reconsider everything that I once new. It was supposed to be hard to get reservations and I was going to have to call many times to get in…not so much. I called one afternoon and was able to make reservations for that same evening… We got there and yes, the décor is very funky and different. I’ve never been to a restaurant with that type of design where 1800$ paintings are hanging (I guess the price was on the paintings just in case people want to buy them after a few shots of tequila). Speaking of tequila, the drinks that we ordered were delicious, I can’t remember the names but they were very good. The food now…not so much. I went in with very high expectations because everyone had hyped up this restaurant so much that I was eager to start eating. My friend and I ordered the beef tacos with guacamole and sour cream, the French fries and the “Johnny Cakes’ fried chicken. The beef was dry, the tortilla was dry and the guacamole was way to runny. The “Johny Cakes” are basically fried chicken balls on top of a crepe, sounds yummy right? Nope. The chicken was very fatty so much so that I ended up with a pile of fat on the side of my plate, and the crepes were dry. The fries were ok, the taste of garlic was overwhelming but the cheese was good (almost like a poutine less the poutine sauce). For the price that we paid I can tell you that I was extremely disappointed and when I mentioned it to the people that had told me about this restaurant they were surprised and disappointed …because, I came to learn, that none of them had been to the restaurant. Everything they knew about it was thru hearsay. The restaurant looks awesome but the quality of the food did not impress me and is certainly not worth the price.
I would go back for drinks but that is about it, no food for me.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Montreal
“Its Taco Time baby!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

As a huge fan of tacos and tequila and casual but delish dining, how can i not like this place!

Good job on the selection of cocktails and anejo tequila!

After a couple of visits to this st henri gem, I cant decide on my favourite dish yet...

I have very much enjoyed the sweet potatoe snacky thing (almost too good, I wanted a whole plate!). The pork tacos were tender and flavourful... I love how the tortillas are served in a foil (BBQ chicken) bag... so smart!

I am always too full for dessert, but the cart is so tempting!
Even when my friends were late, I was happy because I could play ms pacman or read archie comics.

Our waitress was well-informed and checked back with us regarding a dairy intolerance question. She knew her stuff and was happy to share her knowledge and preferences.

We were there on a quiet, cold, snowy monday night. Perhaps that is why the chef came out to check on us, which we appreciated...

For sure going back... cant wait to see what is on the menu next!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Westmount, Canada
“Tasty Food in very casual neighbourhood setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Grumman 78 is located in a big old auto garage (which is quite chilly on winter nights). The atmosphere is casual with odd wooden tablets from recycled shipping pallets. The ambiance is very casual, local, and noisy. The menu is not large, but the food is very tasty, with soft tacos as the main feature. The wine list is mostly french, and very affordable. The service tends to be slow, relaxed, and casual. - There is zero pretension at Grumman 78. It is a simple casual, local, and family-friendly affordable place. Don't expect anything more.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Have you heard of the Grumman 78 food truck? Well, now they have also a loft-restaurant at their new headquarters in the Saint-Henri district, in Montreal.
We went there last Saturday. It was soooo good and the ambiance was cool! All the tables are made out of pallets, very much in tune with the "upcycling" trend. The waiters were very nice and seemed so happy to be there, it was unbelievable! And the food, mostly tacos platters to be shared and different appetizers for 1 or for 2. And for dessert I ordered ice cream and what a surprise when they told me that the ice cream was going to be made just for me! They put some dark Mexican chocolate on it. There was plenty for 3 people! Unfortunately, the music was loud but it took us down memory lane, much appreciated.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
montreal
“Pop-up restaurant comes indoors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Montreal has never been kind to street food. First there's the weather, but more important, there has been the undying reluctance on the part of various city administrations to allow people to eat on the street. That reluctance is beginning to crumble and Grumman 78 made a reputation for itself with its tacos in various locations. Now it's moved inside, in an old commercial warehouse slightly south of an expressway. Not much in the way of exterior ambience, but once inside, warm welcoming, and (unsurprisingly) noisy. The menu is fusion Mexican, with plates designed for sharing. Reinterpretations include heavy southeast Asian notes and cilantro-haters should be on the alert. The wine is reasonably priced. All in all, it's a fun place to eat, would be suitable for children, and a good choice when you're not looking for anything more formal.

• Visited January 2013