“The Details Were All Wrong” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Charleston, South Carolina
“The Details Were All Wrong”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were really looking forward to trying Bouillon Bilk but our experience went wrong from the moment we arrived. The greeting at the entrance was cold as if they were doing us a favor granting us a table when we had reservations far in advance. We were seated at a high table towards the back of the restaurant that was so dimly lit we used an iPhone flashlight to read the menu. The candles were cheap Ikea type votives that did not help and were never relighted when they went out. The wine list is very pricey and when we asked if they had any wine from Canada - the waiter said basically there was nothing that was worthy of their food. So we started with a glass of French sparkling and were surprised that the glasses were filled barely above half way and the wine was not sufficiently chilled. Bread was served but there were no bread plates or any place to put the bread. On top of it, there was a single marble sized piece of butter for 3 people? At that point, even before the appetizers arrived we knew we had wasted an evening in Montreal. The lack of attention to these simple details was shocking for a restaurant of this caliber.

When the food arrived, appetizers were delicious but portions very small. Personally, we did not enjoy the presentation of the main plates which had a bit of everything tossed around the plate. It felt too pretentious to be enjoyed. We skipped dessert as we could not wait to leave.

This is a pricey joint. I might have understood the lack of attention to detail if it were less expensive but even so...there are much better places to dine in Montreal for half the price and double the enjoyment.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Nantucket, MA
“Best meal in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have eaten all over North America and this is in the top 5 meals I have had. I was dining alone so I sat at the bar. The greeting from the host and the bartender was welcoming. The cocktail to start was expertly prepared. The bartender had great recommendations on the menu and wines by the glass. The wines by the glass were a refreshing variety from all over the world.

The first course was Bone Marrow with Escagot and Garlic Foam. The light and acidic nature of the garlic foam cut the richness of the two main ingredients. It was delightful. Second course was Roulades of Guinea Hen with Porcinis, Walnuts and two ounces of Foie Gras. This dish was perfect. Then I finished with local cheeses.

I spent a good amount of money and felt that I received a great value. Very few restaurants put the energy, care and love into all aspects of their business. The staff seemed very proud of where they were working and the products they were selling.

• Visited November 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Everything outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We made reservations for a party of six just a few days ahead fairly easily. The hostess warned me that the only table for six available had high stools instead of regular chairs. Not sure what this meant, but I had been wanting to try the place, so I said sure. Turns out it was a lovely table right by the window and a bit by itself-really the one I would have picked if the resto had been entirely empty. Service was prompt and friendly. The waiter described everything, but the list wasn't so long. We had a variety of appetizers, all of which were really good. Big fresh oysters that were among the best I can remember tasting. Also tried a nice salmon tartare preparation. My visitor loved his beet salad, and there was this intensely flavored vege risotto that I have to order next time. Main courses also all great. I had seared scallops, very nice scallops with shitake mushrooms and well selected vegetables. There was a very good pintade with a big chunk of wonderful seared foie gras on top. Other dishes disappeared before I had a chance to steal a taste. Really everyone enjoyed everything! The wine list had many wines, almost all European, that I didnt know, but the Douro recommended by our waiter was big, tannic and rich with fruit, as described. I skipped dessert, but had a nice dessert wine and tasted a strawberry concoction that was very good. Overall, just over $100 per person, but worth it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Canada
“The best place in Montreal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

The Bouillon Bilk is the best restaurant in Montreal. The service is the best, the food is incredible and the wine card is inventive! Seriously, the best meal in Montreal.

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Arrived on a Sunday evening without a reservation, hostess was very friendly and was able to accommodate us. Waitress was very helpful and understood the menu well, bilingual in English and French.

Appetizers started off with risotto which blended together multiple flavors and was magnificent. Main dishes were scallops and guinea fowl with foie gras. Both dishes were again excellent, rivaling some of the best meals we've enjoyed while living in France.

2 big thumbs up, highly recommended.