“Fantastic dinner, and savvy bar staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bocata Restaurant Bar a Vin

Bocata Restaurant Bar a Vin
310, Saint-Paul O., Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2A3, Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))
+1 514-507-8727
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: As a wine bar we feel the need to create tasting events as often as possible....we host winemakers, sommeliers and wine lovers to come share and explore the depths of wine.Our menu is inspired by tasting culture all of our portions are appetizer sizes. Letting you discover more than 1, 2, 3 or even 4 different plates and also sharing inviting for people that want to have a good time sharing and discovering wine and food.
El Quisco, Chile
“Fantastic dinner, and savvy bar staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I keep coming back to Bocata and Barroco - personally I think Barroco is just one step better, but my most recent dinner at Bocata was awesome. The only complaint was that I allowed my bar tab to get out of hand as was tempted by wines and cognacs. Lovingly and attentively prepared dishes, featuring high quality local ingredients, and extremely knowledgeable staff to recommend wine and drinks pairings. Hic!

• Visited March 2014

Arlington, Virginia
“Two very different experiences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had such a wonderful dinner the first night of our vacation sitting at the small bar -- wonderful food, fun service -- that we decided to book our last night's dinner here as well after traveling to Quebec City and Baie-Saint-Paul for a few days. Unfortunately, our second visit was a bit of a disaster.

This is the first time I've written a bad review, but when the service is so drastically different in two visits, it requires a warning. The second time we sat a a table and the server seemed to forget about us over and over again -- to the extent that it took 1-1/2 hours to get a cheese plate followed by a salad. When the tables around us had come and gone after having three or four courses served, we gave up and canceled the main courses we had ordered.

Having said this, our first visit was so good that I think we would give it another try but would definitely sit at the bar!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Cozy, friendly and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We arrived on a cold night looking for a restaurant-lost and hungry. We found our way into this beautiful little gem. Friendly and smart staff, serving gorgeous wine pairings with a menu full of really great food. Lobster carbarnero, fennel and salmon salad, wild mushrooms, cheese and oh, bread-perfect bread. Let's all admit how heavenly great bread makes a meal delicious. A power outage just made the room warmer, the candles brighter and the night more special!

• Visited February 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent food & wonderful service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I loved our dining experience at Bocata. The waiter was extremely informative about the food and wines and provided us with top notch service. The risotto was one of the best I had ever had! Don't forget to leave room for the delicious chocolate cake dessert!
We shall be back :)

• Visited January 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Cozy restaurant with delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had dinner here with my boyfriend on a Saturday night and we both loved the place. As soon as we stepped into the restaurant we were greeted by a friendly waiter and surrounded by a cozy atmosphere. The restaurant has a large selection of wines which was a bit overwhelming for me since I'm not a wine connoisseur but our waitress was happy to help me find a glass that I would enjoy and answer any questions we had. I was also worried about the food portions since previous reviews mentioned that they are quite small, our waitress explained that the portions are smaller than normal and the restaurant is designed so that each person order a starter or opening and a main entree. For starters we ordered the charcuteries, sea smelts, and duck confit with arugula, all were delicious. For our main meals I got the sea bass (the sweet potatoes infused with vanilla were to die for!) and my boyfriend got the scallions, both were great. I also though the main meals were a normal portion size for the type of restaurant it was and was full after my main course.

Overall, we fully enjoyed our meal at Bocata with the cozy atmosphere, helpful and friendly service, and the delicious food. If we're ever in Montreal again we plan to come back to the restaurant to enjoy another great meal.

• Visited January 2014