“Two very different experiences” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bocata Restaurant Bar a Vin

Bocata Restaurant Bar a Vin
310, Saint-Paul O., Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2A3, Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))
+1 514-507-8727
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: As a wine bar we feel the need to create tasting events as often as possible....we host winemakers, sommeliers and wine lovers to come share and explore the depths of wine.Our menu is inspired by tasting culture all of our portions are appetizer sizes. Letting you discover more than 1, 2, 3 or even 4 different plates and also sharing inviting for people that want to have a good time sharing and discovering wine and food.
Arlington, Virginia
“Two very different experiences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had such a wonderful dinner the first night of our vacation sitting at the small bar -- wonderful food, fun service -- that we decided to book our last night's dinner here as well after traveling to Quebec City and Baie-Saint-Paul for a few days. Unfortunately, our second visit was a bit of a disaster.

This is the first time I've written a bad review, but when the service is so drastically different in two visits, it requires a warning. The second time we sat a a table and the server seemed to forget about us over and over again -- to the extent that it took 1-1/2 hours to get a cheese plate followed by a salad. When the tables around us had come and gone after having three or four courses served, we gave up and canceled the main courses we had ordered.

Having said this, our first visit was so good that I think we would give it another try but would definitely sit at the bar!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Cozy, friendly and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We arrived on a cold night looking for a restaurant-lost and hungry. We found our way into this beautiful little gem. Friendly and smart staff, serving gorgeous wine pairings with a menu full of really great food. Lobster carbarnero, fennel and salmon salad, wild mushrooms, cheese and oh, bread-perfect bread. Let's all admit how heavenly great bread makes a meal delicious. A power outage just made the room warmer, the candles brighter and the night more special!

• Visited February 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent food & wonderful service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I loved our dining experience at Bocata. The waiter was extremely informative about the food and wines and provided us with top notch service. The risotto was one of the best I had ever had! Don't forget to leave room for the delicious chocolate cake dessert!
We shall be back :)

• Visited January 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Cozy restaurant with delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had dinner here with my boyfriend on a Saturday night and we both loved the place. As soon as we stepped into the restaurant we were greeted by a friendly waiter and surrounded by a cozy atmosphere. The restaurant has a large selection of wines which was a bit overwhelming for me since I'm not a wine connoisseur but our waitress was happy to help me find a glass that I would enjoy and answer any questions we had. I was also worried about the food portions since previous reviews mentioned that they are quite small, our waitress explained that the portions are smaller than normal and the restaurant is designed so that each person order a starter or opening and a main entree. For starters we ordered the charcuteries, sea smelts, and duck confit with arugula, all were delicious. For our main meals I got the sea bass (the sweet potatoes infused with vanilla were to die for!) and my boyfriend got the scallions, both were great. I also though the main meals were a normal portion size for the type of restaurant it was and was full after my main course.

Overall, we fully enjoyed our meal at Bocata with the cozy atmosphere, helpful and friendly service, and the delicious food. If we're ever in Montreal again we plan to come back to the restaurant to enjoy another great meal.

• Visited January 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“wonderful food, great wine, really noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Four of us had dinner on a Thursday night. The welcome was warm and the restaurant was full. stone walls, clever lighting and a bit of a squeeze. The menu was short, very comforting in a small restaurant. We started with oysters with a mignonette sauce, delicious, then sea smelts, the portions of which were quite small but perfectly cooked, we also had the pata negra cured ham, thin slices and wonderfully flavoured. For main courses we ordered the risotto, the pork and the veal. Portions were small but rich and so worked well. The wine waiter obviously enjoyed his role and gave us an informed and articulate tour of the wine list and helped us choose wines new to us and which we all loved. It was more expensive that I had anticipated $500 including the tip and the various Montreal taxes, but we did have three bottles of expensive wine. The only downside was that it was incredibly noisy; we were sitting at a banquette, two in the middle on one side and one at each end, and it was difficult to hear each other over the noise.

• Visited December 2013