“Superb, friendly, artistic and stylish” 5 of 5 stars

Petite Auberge Les Bons Matins
1401 Argyle, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1V5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #28 of 147 Montreal B&B and Inns
London, UK
“Superb, friendly, artistic and stylish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

We booked after seeing the beautiful photos on their website. It was terrific being able to choose the ideal decor and facilities in advance.

We arrived by car and found it easy to locate. The staff were excellent and advised about free parking on the street. We left the car on the street for the whole stay without any charges and used the Metro, located about a minute from the B&B. Efficient and friendly welcome. We were told that each evening of our stay we were free to take a complimentary alcoholic drink from the bar in reception. It was an honesty bar so we could pay for any further drinks if we wished to help ourselves. PCs with Broadband access were available without booking free of charge in the reception area.

On the first evening my partner's cousin met us at the B&B. It was the first time in over 25 years that they had met. We went to reception to get the free drinks and pay for the additional drink. The staff wouldn't accept payment as it was a celebration. It was a nice touch and very friendly.

The room was beautiful and unique. Very comfortable with a private terrace. Outside the room was a fully-funtional kitchen. It was very quiet.

Breakfast was in the main dining room. A drawback was having to decide the previous evening a time to have breakfast. Breakfast slots may also get busy so it is possible that you may not get your first choice of eating time. This didn't happen to us but the staff said it happened from time to time. The breakfast was superb. Wide variety of options. Some food was available from the buffet whilst hot food was individually cooked and served by waiting staff. There was so much food. Top quality cooking.

Conclusion. An excellent B&B with terrific ambience and food. Friendly staff and close to Metro. It may be too large for some visitors as there are about a dozen guest rooms but they still managed to make us feel individually welcome. Would certainly return.

• Stayed July 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2005

I travel to Montreal a lot on business, and decided to try something different in February. If I had been a tourist and wanted that certain "je ne sais quoi" that Montreal can offer, this place would have been lovely. Very good breakfast in a bright breakfast room with "Plaisir d'Amour" playing in the background, comfortable rooms with interesting art, etc.

However, from a business perspective, not so good: no decent desk, no high-speed internet in the room, slightly off the main drag in terms of easy access to the office towers downtown.

So if you're visiting Montreal for fun, enjoy. For business, go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
Pepperell, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

The first time we stayed here I loved the inn. The rooms, the breakfast, the courtyard was wonderful. That's what makes a repeat customer. I booked again last summer to come in for the Jazz Festival. We arrived with a confirmed paid for reservation and they stated, "We can't give you a room; the plumbing is broken." I said "No problem. I've been here before, I'll use a hall bath." They kept refusing to give me the room key until they finally admitted they rented it to someone else who was staying one night longer than I. I was furious and refused to leave until good customer service was provided to me. Try to find a hotel during the Jazz Festival! They relunctly gave me a coupon for one future night's stay and then found me a place outside the city that wasn't booked. The good news from all this is I donated the room night for a college auction. The student who won got engaged in the room that night. The bad news is my husband and I can never return there because they treated us so badly....like second class citizens. Does anyone have another suggestion for a good B & B?? I'm trying Auberge Le Jardin d'Antoine.

• Stayed July 2004
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2005

Wonderful place to stay. If you want a more romantic and quiet getaway, book a room that occupies an entire floor, it does get noisy if you don't, but it's a wonderful B&B. Breakfast is lovely. Right next to a metro and close to Crescent St. (lots of bars and great restaurants) just off St. Catherines. Best place to stay in Montreal. Don't hesitate.

• Stayed January 2005
Montreal, Qc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2005

We discovered this B&B online and we didn't think anything of it at first. When we arrived at this Inn, we were pleasantly welcomed by a warm staff especially Alex and Jacklyn. We had reserved a deluxe suite, the 601 for our Honeymoon which was during the holidays and it was just as we'd imagined but we'd also seen it on the website. The place was clean and quiet. Their breakfast is just to die for, everything is freshly made and the service is very friendly.

• Stayed January 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2004

After reading the glowing reviews, my new husband and I booked our honeymoon stay here. Our reception was pleasant, but not warm. Our room was lovely, complete with canopy bed and jacuzzi tub for two. The breakfasts were plentiful and the waitresses lovely. The front desk staff, though, was disappointing. They weren't able to recommend any thing we asked about -- take out food, day spas, local attractions. Luckily, the internet access in the lobby came to the rescue!

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2004

My wife and I stayed at Bons Matins over Labor Day Weekend 2004. After a nightmare at the Montreal airport getting into Canada, we finally got to the hotel after 9:00. The man working reception was very nice and helpful, showing us around the buildings and to our room, and even suggesting places to eat at the late hour.

The room was extremely nice, and very tastefully decorated. The breakfasts were wonderful, with a great eggs benedict (I don't even like eggs benedict).

The only complaint we have is that the maid service could do a better job. They never gave us clean glasses, and left our door unlocked after they were finished on two different occasions.

Overall, a very good experience, and I would stay there again. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed September 2004

Been to Petite Auberge Les Bons Matins? Share your experiences!