“Great location, lovely stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pierre et Dominique

Pierre et Dominique
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montreal
Pierre et Dominique
Save Saved
You added Pierre et Dominique to your Saves list
271 Saint-Louis Square, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1A3, Canada (Le Plateau-Mont-Royal)   |
Ranked #78 of 147 Montreal B&B and Inns
Abergavenny
“Great location, lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

B&B located on peaceful square, within close proximity to Metro - 3min walk. Alternatively, Downtown Montreal and the foot of Mont Royale are both a 20minute walk away. A selection of well priced restuarants are in the area - would recommend Manana, 3mins away.

The room was comfortable, very clean and nice ensuite shower room. Use of a guest kitchenette very helpful, with use of fridge, microwave and kettle.

Dominique was a knowledgable and helpful host - her breakfasts were amazing. Would gladly stay again.

Room Tip: Campagnarde room with ensuite is to the rear of property and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon! We had no parking issue because we flew in from Edmonton, where even our downtown has tremendous parking issues-duh.
I have aboslutely nothing bad to say. We were there for two perfect weeks. My husband and I walked and toured our feet off. We did have lively conversations with Dominique about everything under the sun. Breakfast was delicious every morning. When we just couldn't get up early in the morning she brought breakfast down and left it in our fridge in the common kitchen area in the basement.
The location is awesome-one block from the metro which becomes a life saver! Lots of resturants and shopping close by. Beds were comfy, decor was wild and artsy, everything was clean.
We felt very comfortable and really enjoyed 'living' with a french-canadien family.
Merci Dominique!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

Very good location but parking is definitely a major problem. How can "hoping to be lucky to find a parking spot" be a good thing?
Room was pleasant enough and nicely furnished. Good lighting for reading in bed.
Breakfast was plain and so-so.
We felt less than warmly welcome - more like an intrusion. And no, we are not "demanding and unreasonable travelers".

• Liked — Location. Room.
  • Disliked — Parking. Breakfast. welcome.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bergen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

The Bed & Breakfast "Pierre et Dominique" has a very good location in the quarré St.-Louis with a short way to everything necessary such as metro, bus, supermarket and depanneur/ convenience store. As many of you have remarked, their breakfasts are remarkable and staying at this B&B gives you a real, homy experience rather than an impersonal stay you would have at a hotel. You get to know a real Montréal house and family!

The hosts were very helpful, they shared their tips about Montréal and they did their best to make us feel welcome. The common room was very good with tea, coffee and homebaked cookies and everything was clean and in order.

I really recommend this B&B as my stay here was nothing but excellent. I wish the best to Pierre and Dominique and want to thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

I was looking for a charming bed and breakfast downtown Montreal and I could't have found a better location! (St-Louis Square, pretty little park, walking distance to downtown)
The B&B is welcoming; the owners are very friendly. Quaint rooms, great homemade breakfast. Home away from home!
Overall I'd say this is the one of the best B&B I've stayed at. Not only would I personally go again but I would highly recommend it..

• Liked — Comfortable, clean, quaint
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

Beautiful B&B, great breakfast, the best coffee ever and a perfect location.

Everybody seems to complain about the parking, but it's just normal city street parking. If you are from any big city you know how it is, they have resident parking on one side and street cleaning rules. No big deal, read the signs and you will be ok.

The entire B&B is beautifully decorated, our room was great, overlooking the main road and the park, can get very noisy at night, lot of drunk and noisy partygoers seem to walk by the house. But you can always shut the window.

Pierre and Dominique are great hosts, have amazing stories from all their travel and make some amazing breakfast, oh and did I mention the coffee.

Great location, close to the subway and close to many restaurants.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

This lovely B&B is in a very nice, quiet neighborhood, close to the subway, and right next to a small park in which guitar players and singers frequently perform. That's the good part.

Parking is problematic. I didn't have as much of a problem as an earlier reviewer, as I was able to find on-street parking a block away, but I did have to keep moving the car each morning to the other side of the street (after the streetcleaning truck passed) to avoid getting fined. This was a generally mild inconvenience, as I always lucked into a spot, but it did put a crimp in my activities knowing that I had to be in the neighborhood to vulture for a new parking place each morning. Although I inquired in advance via email about the parking situation, the B&B did not respond, so this situation was a surprise to me.

The building itself has a lot of character and is well-maintained, with a balcony on the top floor overlooking the garden in back, and a stoop out front overlooking the square. There are lots of thoughtful touches throughout, including books and travel guides, fridges, tea kettles and tea in the common areas.

However, the caretaker seemed pretty lackadaisical about keeping things stocked: all the light bulbs were burned out in my room, and the batteries in the alarm clock were dead. There is free internet on an outdated first generation bondi-blue iMac upstairs, but the connection was down at least half the time I was there (and the caretaker wasn't particularly responsive about re-setting it, even when I had a time-sensitive work-related email to send).

I was going to give the place a positive review despite these inconveniences, as the location was so great and the B&B itself so obviously a labor of love for the owners... but things went downhill the longer I stayed.

Pierre and Dominique themselves were not present during my stay (in July 2006); instead a young Mexican girl was in charge of everything from cleaning and preparing breakfast to handling the reservations. This caretaker has a newborn infant whose lung capacity is startling. If you are a light sleeper, beware (or bring earplugs). Even though I was on a different floor of the building than the infant, I was woken by her screaming every night and, whenever I would try to catch up on my sleep by napping during the afternoon, I would be woken by her screaming then, too.

More frustratingly, there was no hot water at all during the last three days of my stay. The caretaker did nothing to restore it -- she didn't want to check the breakers or call a plumber or anything. After a few days of ice cold showers, I asked her if she planned to do anything about it. "I am not a plumber!" she snapped at me. In short, by the time I left I was exasperated from sleep deprivation and having to take ice-cold showers.

As for breakfast, the caretaker insists that every guest arrive for breakfast by the stroke of 8:30. If you aren't there then -- even if delayed a few minutes by dead batteries in the alarm clock or having to suffer through an ice cold shower -- she locks the door in your face. That's what happened to me (and another guest who had a dead battery in her room's alarm clock, too), believe it or not.

Ironically, if you do show up at 8:30, she will make you sit around a table twiddling your thumbs while she struggles to prepare food for everyone: she just can't handle making breakfast for half a dozen people simultaneously. Most mornings, you might get a cup of coffee after 5 - 10 minutes' wait, but the food itself might take another 15 - 20 minutes. For the record, the breakfasts and coffee were always very tasty (whenever the caretaker would allow me to actually have them).

When the caretaker tried to justify rudely locking the door in my face, she claimed that she had "an important appointment and couldn't be late." It was an obvious lie -- through the door, I could hear her and other guests lingering over breakfast for the next hour. It left a really bad taste in my mouth to be treated this way on my last morning in Montreal, after the numerous inconveniences I had already endured at the B&B.

In conclusion, I have really mixed feelings about this B&B. I loved everything about the building and location, but I find the caretaker's attitude absurdly unprofessional and completely unacceptable. I can't recommend a place that treats requests for hot water as unreasonable and refuses to provide a meal for which you have paid in advance. Who knows, though? You might have better luck if the owners themselves are there.

• Liked — excellent location, charming historic building, thoughtful touches such as internet and tea kettles
  • Disliked — no hot water for most of stay, unhelpful caretaker
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zocha, owner at Pierre et Dominique, responded to this review, November 14, 2006
Bonjour!

I will start by saying I am very sorry for your bad experience at my place. I am finding out (bit by bit...receiving letter, and reading commetns on this site) that my choice of replacement was not a good one.

I have been running this place for 14 years now and I am very troubled to read you.

Parking is like in the big city not always easy . I always go with one to park his car in the best spot!
No hot water.!!!!...very disturbing.

As for my outdated blue Imac.....you do not like it?!?!?! You will be happy to know that now we are wireless!

For the situation with the baby I am mixed (is this a good word?). I did raised 2 kids doing this but the settings were not the same.

Having been myself in other B&B as a guest, and experiencing not fun stuff, I do understang your "mécontentement".

I thank you for writing in this site and writing me a personal letter . In september, I was planning to rehire the same person..but all these enlightments have me thinking otherwise.

Merci, à une prochaine peut-être.
Dominique

I

Been to Pierre et Dominique? Share your experiences!