“Relatively expensive old fashioned Hotel in Great Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

You added Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth to your Saves list
Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Blvd. Rene Levesque West, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4A5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #46 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Ontario
“Relatively expensive old fashioned Hotel in Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Convenient if you are taking the train as I did to Montreal as the hotel is accessed directly from the station. Check-in was very good, though I had booked a King size bedded room only to be given a room with two beds in it as none were available. In spite of the two beds in it, It was just big enough for one so I would think it would be very tight with two. The TV was very last century as was the room, though clean,bright and well lit. The bathroom was spotless and the shower pressure excellent and water heat comfortably adjustable. The bed was comfortable but nothing to write home about. Unfortunately one can hear all the comings and goings on in the hallway as other guests close or open their room doors and surprisingly for such a prestigious hotel, no one has thought of soundproofing the door closing and locking mechanisms. The housekeeping staff are also a noisy lot starting at about 8am yelling at each other down the hallways like fishwives. God forbid that one would want to sleep in. Breakfast prices are as usual ridiculous. $17.00 for a bun or whatever ,a juice and a coffee or $24.50 for what seemed to me when I checked it out,a mediocre looking buffet/trough in the Montrealais bistro. There are lots of places for coffee and food right next door in the station and for mucht less and as the hotel charges $15.00 for Internet (shame on them!) you can surf the internet for free at several of the station cafes that I went to for coffee. The location is wonderful for anywhere you want to get to in Montreal and I would qualify my recommendation to stay at this hotel by saying it would only deserve a maximum two night stay at a discounted rate. Any longer and you can do much better elsewhere for less money (Delta,Gouverneurs) or for pretty much the same d rates classy luxury boutiques such as The Nelligan,The Vogue,The Saint-Sulpice...etc.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I did not book the hotel but was looking for the stay anyway since I heard a lot of great things.

Check in was quick, efficient, and very friendly. I was on the 20th floor in Queen bed room. The room was clean but looked very dated and tired. The furniture definitely could use a bit of polish and chairs need to come out of the 80's.

My first disappointment was no free internet. $ 15 for skyping my kids back home. I did sleep well. The bed and the pillow was comfortable and slept almost immediately.

The heat was a problem. Turned the heat all the way up but didn't change the temperature. It wasn't until I left the room the next morning that I noticed the hall way was a lot warmer than my room. But I did not freeze my bum but then again my wife complaints I am very 'cold blooded' and tolerate a cold room than most people! ;0

The other disappointment was when I woke up in the morning, I realized there wasn't any bottle water other than a $8 Evian bottle. So it was the tap water with a mug. The shower and sink was so, so. Again very tired looking and need a refurbishment.

The gym was spacious and I really enjoy it. With 10 people in the gym, it did not feel cramp and I like to lemon water. The equipment was good and enjoyed my morning run.

Other than the tired room, the Fairmont was a decent hotel and staff was friendly and efficient. All pluses in my books. My problem was that my expectations where not managed and I realize how I am use to the free internet and bottled waters that Starwood would provide. It is the little things that made me pause but then again aren't the little things that would make people come back?

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed at this hotel having never been to Montreal previously. The check-in was simple and is located in a large lobby decked out with marble and gold. I was staying Fairmont Gold and went to the lounge for nibbles and a drink. Cracking view across the city and the choice of food was great and just what I wanted: fish, salad, meats and cheeses. My guest room was comfortable and clean and I had a great nights' sleep. If you're going to stay in Montreal, stay at the Fairmont as it is attached to the train station and has easy access to all the best things that the town has to offer.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
West Grove, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

My wife and booked a long weekend getaway to Montreal through Amtrak Vacations for our anniversary. The Queen Elizabeth was one of the options available to us, so after looking through the reviews, we decided to get it. We weren't disappointed. First, the location couldn't be more convenient. The hotel is connected to Montreal Central Station by means of escalator and elevator, so getting from the train to the hotel was as easy as walking down the hall. Also, the hotel connects to Montreal's vast underground city, of which Central Station is a part, meaning a quick elevator ride takes you to a vast array of shops, cafes, and restaurants, as well as the Montreal subway system.

Turning to the hotel itself, when we arrived, we learned that due to a slight mix-up, Amtrak Vacations booked us a queen room instead of a king room. My wife is 6 1/2 months pregnant and a bed that small wasn't an option, so I asked for a king. We were pleased tp learn that for only $50 more a night, we could be upgraded to the concierge level (the "Gold" level), which we jumped at. We weren't disappointed. The room was fantastic, with a postcard-perfect view of the skyline and Mary Queen of the World Basilica. Access to the Gold Lounge on the next floor above came with the price of admission, which offered breakfast in the morning, snacks all day, and apertifs and desserts in the evening, not to mention the most comfortable couches I've sat in in a long time overlooking the city.

The concierges - both upstairs and down in the main lobby - couldn't have been more helpful. On our first night my wife needed a bandage because she ripped a small hangnail, so I called down to ask if they had one. Not only was someone up within 3 minutes with a bandage, but they also asked if we needed a doctor... no, but I'm glad they asked! Similarly, every staff member we encountered was unfailingly polite and courteous.

The room was very comfortable, although the bathroom was a tad cramped, which seems to be a problem with a lot of hotels. Comfort-wise, the bed was great, especially after a long train trip from Delaware, and we had no problems with outside noise.

The hotel has a number of restaurants as well as the Beaver Club lounge & bistro. We had a great dinner at the Le Montrealais bistro as well as a room-service dinner on our last night. Surprisingly, the room service menu wasn't too high, although the minibar prices came close to highway robbery (CDN$ 5 for a Toblerone bar? CDN $8.50 for a bottle of Evian water? Yikes!).

Little known but interesting fact: John Lennon and Yoko Ono's famous "Bed-In", where "Give Peace a Chance" was recorded, took place at The Queen Elizabeth in 1969. Turned out we were one floor above where it all happened. Surprisingly, the hotel does not market this fact very much. I had to look up the hotel's Wikipedia page to find it out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We spent 2 separate nights at the Queen Elizabeth going to and coming back from
Quebec city. We travelled by train and therefore the Queen E could not be more
convenient, being right above the train station. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Our rooms were small but spotlessly clean and fairly modern. The first night our room faced the church and was nice and quiet. However, the second night our room faced Rene Levesque Blvd and was very noisy. We could hear trains, sirens and traffic all night. We were impressed that, even though we arrived for the second night at 10:45 a.m., our room was ready and we were allowed to check in. Food at the bar and at the Montrealais was very good but pricey. All in all,we were very impressed and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
drbex999
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights and got an upgrade to a superior room. There was a nice amount of space, very clean and quiet.

Bar area is nice and the staff all friendly. Restaurant was OK but would eat out next time.

I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Brewer, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

We decided to take a little overnight getaway to Montreal. I booked the hotel through Expedia. What a great decision! This hotel was so convenient to everything! The underground city/Metro is an elevator ride down from the beautiful lobby. It was fantastic service from the minute we walked through the door until the minute we left. The only complaints we have were that there were no phone books in the rooms and the tub drain had an issue. All in all it was a fabulous stay. The room was gorgeous with a great view.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth? Share your experiences!