“Great hotel and great value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

You added Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth to your Saves list
Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Blvd. Rene Levesque West, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4A5, Canada (Centre-Ville (Downtown))   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #42 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Ontario, Canada
“Great hotel and great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Since I take the train from Toronto to Montreal, it is real convenience to arrive at a hotel that sits on top of the train station. Beyond this convenience, The Queen Elizabeth is well situated within Montreal, clean, modern and welcoming. After many stays, I can attest to the value and consistent guest satisfaction. As a result, I have not stayed anywhere else in Montreal in the last ten years!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear DiscerningAdvisor - Thank you very much for your loyalty over the past 10 years! We're thrilled to hear how the team makes your visits most enjoyable. We hope to see you again in 2014! Warmest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Seemingly just steps away from the ice at Centre Bell, a short walk from the old city, Mont Royal within sight, and a short trek to the thrum of Mile End... Fairmont QE delivers. Excellent staff and great rooms. A perfect place to stage a bed-in for peace or for sleep!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear GarethKeenan - Thank you for your review. We're delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit, from the great service to our guest rooms. We hope to see you again soon. Peace and all the best for a great 2014!
Kitchener
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on a two night visit to Montreal.

In taking the train to Montreal this hotel was perfect. It is right on top of the train station so very easy to get to. In addition the location is very central to shopping and only a 5 to 10 minute walk to the Bell centre.

Check in went smoothly, I had requested a quiet room away from the elevators and that is exactly what we got. The room had one King bed and a nice view. Unfortunately internet was not included in the room price. The bed was very comfortable, maybe the best I've ever slept in. The bathroom was ok, a bit on the small side. The walls are a little thin, so you do hear a bit through them...

All in all the hotel is great, decent location, very comfortable, and one I would recommend.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jayawayfromhome - Thank you for your visit in December. We're glad you had a great time at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth and please do not hesitate to contact us direclty if we can be of any assistance in making your next stay in Montreal a most pleasant one. Kind regards and best wishes for a beautiful 2014!
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I am essentially writing this for several stays as I travel to Montreal often for business and as it is the only 'preferred' hotel on my company's list with a fantastic rate that allows me to collect points - I have become fairly loyal. Note that while I had pics of many of the issues collected from different stays, the wrong click of a button a while back deleted many pics on my iPhone and I mourned the loss of many other memories so you'll forgive me that the hotel pics are long gone.

With the exception of one time when I was upgraded to a gold floor (I believe in part because the system was down and many reservations were lost/wrong), this hotel has certainly seen better days.

From stained/cracked toilets and tubs, small rooms, loose doors, old fridges and a frustrating old-school design that has me on my hands and knees looking for a single free outlet to charge a phone or computer - it is not what one would hopefully expect from the Fairmont brand.

Little details seem to go unnoticed - like having consistently stocked minibars. I don't normally indulge but there have been days where I essentially came back just in time to crash and was looking forward to rewarding myself with a sugar rush or something. Of course, on 2 of those nights my 'mini-bar' had a bottle of water and nothing else. Other times there are several boxes of gummy bears, cookies, chips, etc. It may seem small but the fact that I can't find a pattern as to when you will find snacks in your room and when you won't seems to reflect an overall failure in attention to detail.

Other times I have not had any face cloths available - another time still there was no shampoo or conditioner. Another time still I had to change rooms because the door was so loose that any movement in the hall - another door closing or someone walking by caused mine to shudder in the frame and 'slam' even if a few inches. The kind gentlemen who came to give me my card was not only apologetic but acknowledged that there are a few of these rooms that act up. He even said he knew when he was told which room what the problem would be. If it is a problem, why is the room being used??? The hotel was not at all full.

Yet another time I had an old white mini-fridge in the room - not discretely hidden but rather out in the open which in addition to being a bit of an eyesore, was really very noisy. I had half a mind to unplug it since I had nothing in it but didn't want to start an unnecessary chain of events for someone else if the hotel staff didn't notice.

The front desk staff are hit or miss - there are a few ladies who are very impatient and a bit rude. They seem overly harassed and I almost never arrive during busy periods so perhaps it is because I interrupted their chatting? I don't need to feel doted on exactly but a friendly welcome wouldn't hurt.

The bar is great - staff are wonderful and funny, drinks are excellent and it really is a nice cosy spot to chat with friends. When I am alone and it is quiet I will even head downstairs there for a drink rather than feel cooped up in the room.

Iconic though it may be, the hotel doesn't have the classic look and feel like Chateau Frontenac or Laurier to be able to justify not renovating or maintaining the hotel. (not saying either of those has skimped on the renovations - they don't appear to but they certainly haven't felt the need to update the decor and be more contemporary). The Queen Elizabeth has fallen into a tough place of not enough charm and not enough love.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My family (including 16-year-old and 13-year-old daughters and husband) is just back from a lovely stay at the QE in Montreal. We were there for a college visit to McGill, and the location couldn't have been better.

We had a one bedroom suite which was the perfect size and had 1.5 baths. Our rate included the breakfast buffet in the restaurant which was terrific -- both the food and the staff were excellent. Great workout room. Connection to the underground city was very nice given the temperatures.

Just join the Fairmont club to get free internet -- we used it on at least 7 devices with no problem. Overall an excellent value for the money.

Room Tip: The suites with extra half bath are very nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear MkM1346 - Thank you for the lovely feedback. We hope you enjoyed the visit of the McGill campus and most definitely hope to see your family even more for the next couple of years! A warm welcome to Fairmont President's Club! If there is anything we can do to make your next stays with us even more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. Kindest regards.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

The hotel itself was fine. Nice rooms, really clean, good location especially for people arriving by train. The only issue I had (which in my world is a big issue) is the lack of free wifi. Staff suggested I pay to join the presidents club and then it would be free- helpful (roll eyes here). Out of all 3 hotels we stayed in whilst visiting Canada this was the most expensive and had the least facilities.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MeganAmyHolidays - Thank you for sharing your comments. We apologize for the miscommunication regarding the internet acess. We encourage our guests indeed to enroll in our complimentary loyalty program, the Fairmont President's Club by visiting fairmont.com/fpc. There is actually no fee to sign up and you may enjoy several benefits such as complimentary internet access and this, on all future stays at any Fairmont hotel. We're sorry for the way in which it was explained to you. We still hope you will give us another chance in the future. Kind regards.
Georgetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Got a great deal on a Gold upgrade and loved it. Had stayed at QEH before, but this stay was the best. The staff were all amazing and so helpful in arranging our dinner plans on a Saturday night. The "simple" continental breakfast was perfect and the Gold lounge for a nightcap each evening was perfect. Also the best mattress ever. Will never stay anywhere else in Montreal from now on.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DesOCA - Thank you for your return visit to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. We were thrilled to read your review. The entire Gold team most definitely looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Warm regards.

Been to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth? Share your experiences!