“Great Location - Fairmont Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

You added Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth to your Saves list
Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Blvd. Rene Levesque West, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4A5, Canada (Centre-Ville (Downtown))   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #42 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Los Angeles, California
“Great Location - Fairmont Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you've read my reviews - you know I tell it as it is.
This is an old hotel - make no mistake - it's downtown. So the location is awesome.
It sits above Bonaventure Station - Metro (Montreal's famous underground subway network) so you've got access to most of the city and can venture out without a jacket in the winter.
The hotel service is, well - it's a Fairmont. Enough said.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear TrueDaddy - We're glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Montreal and we're delighted to read that the team made your stay a most pleasant one. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Fairmont properties in the near future. Many thanks and warm regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Pluses:
Fairly well located, pleasantly situated: across from the Basilica and Park, near the Gare Centrale, and right on the 747 bus route from the aeroport.

Nice clean sheets, towels (you're probably saying, isn't that a minimum expectation-- well, friend, even that can't be assumed these days) and soap/shampoo products.

I asked for a quiet room and was given it. Many thanks.

Minuses:

Right after I arrived, I walked outside, saw a porter and as I began to ask for some quick directions (what I was looking for ended up being, in fact, right across the street), he brusquely said he had no time to answer questions and that I should return inside to ask for directions. He told me that his attentions were elsewhere (he was calling cabs for clients). His behaviour was really unacceptable, particularly in his welcoming role

The hotel is dated. The decor is old. Although there was no odour, the rugs in the rooms appeared soiled and the furniture scuffed. Worse, the public areas like the insides of the elevators weren't clean with dried, caked food stains and drips on the walls. None of it appeared recent.

The restaurant food is really mediocre; there's no good reason not to explore around unless weather or sheer travel fatigue do not permit it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear auke20 - Thank you for your recent visit and thank you for sharing some feedback. We're very sorry to hear about the unfortunate interaction you had with one of our doormen. We sincerely apologize as this is not the level of service we aim to maintain. We shall be offering additional coaching and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. As for the overall cleanliness issues, we have advised our Executive Housekeeper for immediate action. That being said, regarding your concerns about the decor, they will most definitely be addressed in our next renovation plan. Thank you once again for your time. Warm regards.
atlanta, ga.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had booked myself into the Queen Elizabeth for my recent sty in Montreal, as I've always had stellar experiences when staying at Fairmont properties. I decided to peruse the hotel's reviews on tripadvisor before arrival, and I admit to being somewhat nervous about the unevenness of the reviews. (They seemed to be excellent or terrible.) I reached out to management via email, and simply requested to be placed in a freshly renovated room with a view. The staff made note of that, because when I checked in, I was informed that I had been placed in a special room. The room was lovely. Freshly decorated including the bathroom and a delightful view on a high floor. It is so nice to make a request and to have management go that extra mile to insure a satisfied client. The front desk staff (particularly Pascal) could not have been more warm, friendly and helpful. I'd also like to note that we had a first class meal at the Beaver Club Restaurant. It's not inexpensive, but it is a special treat and worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a nice room with a view. Do it BEFORE you check in, as they could otherwise be at capacity w...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear sladeatlanta - Thank you for sharing such great comments further to your recent visit to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. We're glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and should you visit Montreal again in the future, please let us know! Many thanks and kind regards.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Had an enjoyable stay at this Fairmont, I was in town on business, but did get to enjoy Montreal as well. The location is great, close to Old Montreal and Rue de Catherine. Hotel room was a standard Fairmont room, nothing too big, but very comfortable. Love their beds! Ordered room service one morning and there was enough food for a family and all very delicious.

My only complaints are:
Housekeeping, my room was not cleaned until almost 4pm, I had gone and done a lot of exploring the city, and wanted to have a rest but it took forever for the room to be made up.
Spa, the spa in the hotel is not up to the Fairmont standard that I have experienced at other Fairmonts (and I have stayed in everyone in Alberta). No spa atmosphere, no exceptional treatment and actually quite rude treatment staff.

Aside from the above, I would stay here again, just skip the Spa.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jaylynn0908 - Thank you for your recent visit. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us. That being said, we apologize for not servicing your room earlier and please know we will follow up accordingly with our housekeeping team. On future stays, please do not hesitate to let us know if there is a specific time at which you would prefer the room to be serviced, and we will gladly make the arrangements. With regards to the spa located in the lower concourse level, we're very sorry it didn't meet your expectations. Even though the spa isn't owned nor operated by Fairmont, we will most definitely share your comments with the owner of the spa for service improvement. Thank you again for your time. Kindest regards.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Was negatively surprised - frequently (almost exclusively) stay at Fairmont hotels when travelling. Recently stayed in Montreal for a convention, and booked months in advance, on the Gold floor. Was dismayed to find that the room was extremely outdated, overlooking parking lots, right beside the ice machine. Would have understood had there been no availability, or if I was paying a steeply discounted price, but this was not the case. I was to be giving a presentation at the meeting, and arrived at the gold floor lounge 7 minutes prior to opening (did not want to wake family to work). The door was open and there were staff inside preparing for the day, so I asked if I might sit to review my presentation. I was told that it was "not possible", and the door was rudely closed. All of this while paying premium prices to stay on a "premium" floor. I suggest you look somewhere else if you are looking for luxury or business accommodations in Montreal - the hotel is sadly outdated (On the gold floor, anyway), and they don't seem too interested in service. Sorry, Fairmont. I used to think of you as home away from home - its a good thing there are many, many, hotels in your class everywhere I go, who may take customer service more seriously.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the city, away from ice machines, when booking. And yes - you have to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mumsytiger - We're very sorry to hear about your last stay with us. We were quite surprised to read your feedback mostly regarding the interaction you had with our Fairmont Gold team. The team takes pride in accommodating all requests from our guests and letting guests in a few minutes prior to the opening of the Gold lounge is most definitely something we offer on a regular basis. Rest assured this will be adressed with the team and we sincerely apologize for not providing you with the level of service you expected. We do hope to have a chance to show you a true Gold experience in the future in Montreal. Kind regards.
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Born and raised in Montreal, it was interesting to go back. Montreal is a wonderful city - very walkable. Although the room was clean and comfortable, The hotel on the whole could use some updating. As a Fairmont property, I would have thought they would have put some money into it. The bar/lounge on the ground floor could be so much nicer. After booking a non-smoking room, we had our room changed after the first night because it smelled of smoke. We were on 6th and found that 5 is a smoking floor. We should have clued in when we first entered the room and saw the air cleaner plugged into the wall. It didn't do much good. The hotel is very central and an easy walk to Old Montreal and the downtown shopping. Check-in was very quick and they also dealt with moving us efficiently. We also had a lovely dinner in the Beaver Club. All in all we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: For non-smokers stay away from the 5th floor or even one floor above.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Travelforever60 - We're glad you had a chance to return to Montreal for a visit and we're happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us, namely the lovely dinner at the Beaver Club restaurant. That being said, we're sorry you had to change rooms after the first night. We are looking at alternate solutions regarding the inconvenience that the smoking floor occasionally causes. We truly appreciate your feedback and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Best regards.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel's location is very good, and I found the room quite comfortable and decent sized, even if it's on the small side. Our room had a beautiful view of Mont Royal, so that was a plus.

Service was generally very good, from the front desk, the concierge and the Montrealais restaurant, where the food was also very good. The pool and gym are proper, but keep in mind it's indoors, and it can get quite loud depending on the amount of guests in there at the time.

I had 2 issues during the stay:
1. Paper thin walls. Meaning you can hear conversations, flushing sounds, and neighbours "enjoying themselves" during the night. The street below was also quite noisy, but not as much as the neighbours.

2. The auto-charging minibar. You will be charged if you move something, pick it up to look or read the label, even if you don't consume anything. That's is just a hassle, since you have to convince reception during check-out to remove the charges, since you didn't consume anything.

So overall I had a pretty good stay at this hotel, and as I was checking out I was deciding to give it a rating 4, when something tipped the scale down. We were leaving our 2 small suitcases with the bell desk, for a couple of hours' storage, when for the first time in my experience, we were told there was a cost of $2 per bag. Now, the $ amount is not really important, but the principle of just having paid $500+ in a hotel bill and then having to pay extra to leave my bags for a couple of hours was offensive.
When we complained we were told this was a union decision, but that couldn't matter less for a guest. The last impression, as we left the hotel, is that this Fairmont was charging us extra for holding our bag for a couple of hours, and that is just pathetic. I hope management can fix this situation quickly, because I honestly think it hurts the brand's image.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth? Share your experiences!