“My favorite place to stay in Montreal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

You added Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth to your Saves list
Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Blvd. Rene Levesque West, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4A5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #46 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“My favorite place to stay in Montreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

As on many previous visits to Montreal, it is a pleasure to stay at this hotel. I once forgot something in my room. When I called them about it, they were so helpful in shipping my clothes back to the US to me.

• Stayed March 2013
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Mwasu - Thank you very much for your loyalty to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. We're delighted to hear that you always enjoy staying with us. The entire team looks forward to your next visit. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Hotel located within steps of the Via Rail Train Station (no Taxi required)

Steps away from numerous restaurants and right above a food court and small mall.

Lobby was spacious and inviting, front desk staff pleasant and quick

Was provided with a renovated room on the 6th floor, room was very clean, bathroom was quite small but spotless.

TV reception was poor, but many channels to be had.

Gym / Pool area was very clean
Gym was large and contained up to date equipment. Very much enjoyed the well ventilated space.

Elevators were quick, never had a long wait.

Would stay again, great value..

Room Tip: 6th floor - Renovated Room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear CCM34 - We're glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. Thank you for your comments and suggestions, which are always greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again soon. Best regards.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was very surprised to book a room at a Fairmont property for $169 a night, and based on the low price and some of the other negative reviews on this site, I was expecting the worst. However, we had a great experience at this hotel. The concierge and front desk were always friendly and extremely helpful, especially when we had a little health scare that caused us to go to the emergency room. The room itself was small, but nice, updated, and large enough to suit our needs. We were on the 13th floor with a view of Mont Royal, which was great. We had brunch at Montrealis, which was fabulous. We have stayed at other Fairmont properties that were more grand and luxurious, but for the price, I doubt this property can be beat in Montreal. Wonderful location with access to the underground shopping, close casual and upscale food options, and within walking distance of Old Montreal. My biggest complaint is the outrageous price of room service and the lack of affordable food/drink options on the hotel property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear micalarae - Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback regarding your recent visit to Montreal. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay. We encourage you to always visit fairmont.com as we often have discounted special rates offered online. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Warm regards.
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel 5 stars because of its rich heritage, its brand name, its great location and its outstanding front desk and concierge service.

However, on a five-night stay in February, our stay was marred by lousy service in one restaurant and in the bar. In addition, the carpet in the room was looking quiet worn out and was not clean when we arrived. Unacceptable in a Fairmont property.

We used the concierge service half a dozen times and the staff was unfailingly helpful and friendly. Front desk was great when we called in advance, when we checked in, when we had to extend our stay by a night because our flight was cancelled, and when we checked out.

Because it was February, we made extensive used of Montreal's Underground City, and this hotel is located right over part of it. This was super convenient.

I've given the Service a rating of three stars. Here's what that means to me: For the restaurants it should be one. For the front desk and concierge it should be five.

When we return to Montreal, we'll probably stay elsewhere, partly because there are so many interesting hotels. My recommendation: Stay here but dine elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 44Boppa - Thank you for your recent visit. We greatly appreciate the wonderful comments you shared with us regarding the outstanding service provided by the front desk and concierge teams. We sincerely apologize however for the unfortunate dining experience at the restaurant. This is certainly not in keeping with our high service standards and please rest assured your feedback has already been shared with our Director of Food & Beverage. We thank you for your comments and suggestions and we truly hope you will give us another chance in the future should your travel plans bring you back to Montreal. Many thanks and regards.
Batavia, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

this is my second time to Montreal and my first time at The Queen Elizabeth. First off the bellhops and doorman were absolutely gracious and accommodating. The front desk staff were ok and the Concierge desk is beyond useless and one member of the staff is downright rude. In stead of using the concierge We just started asking people on the street to recommend places.
The rooms are small buts its an older hotel and my experience is that's the way older hotels are. That being said... The beds were comfortable. The room had all the amenities I needed. There was a super huge tv, a makeup mirror, a full size hair dryer, and full size robes. I paid 139 a night and was quite satisfied. I really loved being able to shop and get to the metro without going outside. there are miles of underground shopping attached to the hotel. There were elements like some tough parts in the carpet that made it obvious that its a well used hotel but I would stay again. Make sure you join the free presidents club so you get the free wifi!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear kaileen76 - Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed some of the benefits of being a Fairmont President's Club member, namely the complimentary internet access. Thank you for your feedback regarding the service provided by our concierge desk. Please know this is certainly not in keeping with the Fairmont level of service and we will most definitely address it. That said, we're delighted to hear you would return to the hotel in the future and the team looks forward to welcoming you back. Kindest regards.
Orangeville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have been in all levels of hotel rooms from budget to 5 star and I can say this was the smallest room I have ever been in. Since it was so small we couldn't help noticing things that normally we would not give a second glance. There was barely enough room for two people and we were 4. Why the front desk did not warn us and ask us if we wanted to upgrade is beyond me. We would have gladly paid for more space if we had of known. Instead, we were asked to verify our children's name and ages, something we have never been asked to do before at any hotel. This information is available on the President's Club membership and the kids were standing right there, but we were told we must supply this information for security purposes. I guess my 8 and 11 year old posed some kind of threat! At the time I thought perhaps some personalized welcome kids pack would be delivered to the room, but that was not to be.

We were considering staying a second and maybe even a third night but after being in the room for 5 minutes we axed that idea. The bathroom was so small that the door stop had been removed off the floor, presumably so adults could have the space for their right foot. The easy chair in the room was crammed in between the wall and the tall dresser making it more like the "time out" chair. There would be nothing relaxing about sitting in that chair. There was a luggage rack in the closet but for the life of me I don't know where you could use it in that room. If someone sat at the oval desk there was no way anyone else could get by unless they went over the bed. Why they used an oval desk in such a small room is beyond me.

Beyond the size, the room was rough, at best. Showing that it was well worn. Lots of dirt on the walls, frayed and stained lampshades, banged desk, etc. We called for robes for the children to use for the pool. Both were delivered on hangers and belts tied nicely but one was dirty - stiff with what I can only imagine was dried milk. The fabric was all 'scrunched' together and very uncomfortable.

On the positive side, the beds were very comfortable and we slept very well.

The negatives were the room size, the safe was locked when we entered the room so obviously had not been checked by staff prior to our arrival so we had to call security to have it unlocked, and got another lecture as he assumed we had locked it ourselves.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family. Montreal has lots of choice for the same or less cost. I found this very surprising but that is my honest opinion. The hotel informed me they are in the midst of rennovating the rooms "for their guests comfort".

Room Tip: As about the size before you book. Do not take the smallest rooms unless you are on your own.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear 2plus2-9 - Thank you for your visit. We're deeply sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. We do apologize for the arrival experience as well as your guest room. Please know that your feedback has already been shared with our Executive Housekeeper for immediate action. If you had a moment, we would greatly appreciate if you could contact us directly at qeh.hotel@fairmont.com. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us and please rest assured we are following up on all the different points you expressed in your review. Best regards.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and have stayed at various Fairmont properties around the world and this by far was the worst. We had to change rooms as our first "Fairmont" room (allegedly not a basic room) was tiny, had a cracked sink and faced concrete. Our second room was large but not redecorated since 1980's. An old clunky TV that you couldn't even watch from the bed and heating that didn't work. Staff were not helpful at all - wanted to ask concierge about local attraction and he ignored me for 10 minutes as he tried to help someone else with a very basic issue - she also agreed the hotel was a shambles. Very sad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear natasha b - We sincerely apologize for not providing you with the hotel experience you expected. We appreciate the feedback you shared online and please know we take your comments very seriously. We're sorry to hear about your recent visit and please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any assistance at all. Many thanks and regards.

Been to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth? Share your experiences!