“Thing small, and then lower your expectations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

Save Saved
You added Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth to your Saves list
Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Blvd. Rene Levesque West, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4A5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #49 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Orangeville, Canada
“Thing small, and then lower your expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have been in all levels of hotel rooms from budget to 5 star and I can say this was the smallest room I have ever been in. Since it was so small we couldn't help noticing things that normally we would not give a second glance. There was barely enough room for two people and we were 4. Why the front desk did not warn us and ask us if we wanted to upgrade is beyond me. We would have gladly paid for more space if we had of known. Instead, we were asked to verify our children's name and ages, something we have never been asked to do before at any hotel. This information is available on the President's Club membership and the kids were standing right there, but we were told we must supply this information for security purposes. I guess my 8 and 11 year old posed some kind of threat! At the time I thought perhaps some personalized welcome kids pack would be delivered to the room, but that was not to be.

We were considering staying a second and maybe even a third night but after being in the room for 5 minutes we axed that idea. The bathroom was so small that the door stop had been removed off the floor, presumably so adults could have the space for their right foot. The easy chair in the room was crammed in between the wall and the tall dresser making it more like the "time out" chair. There would be nothing relaxing about sitting in that chair. There was a luggage rack in the closet but for the life of me I don't know where you could use it in that room. If someone sat at the oval desk there was no way anyone else could get by unless they went over the bed. Why they used an oval desk in such a small room is beyond me.

Beyond the size, the room was rough, at best. Showing that it was well worn. Lots of dirt on the walls, frayed and stained lampshades, banged desk, etc. We called for robes for the children to use for the pool. Both were delivered on hangers and belts tied nicely but one was dirty - stiff with what I can only imagine was dried milk. The fabric was all 'scrunched' together and very uncomfortable.

On the positive side, the beds were very comfortable and we slept very well.

The negatives were the room size, the safe was locked when we entered the room so obviously had not been checked by staff prior to our arrival so we had to call security to have it unlocked, and got another lecture as he assumed we had locked it ourselves.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family. Montreal has lots of choice for the same or less cost. I found this very surprising but that is my honest opinion. The hotel informed me they are in the midst of rennovating the rooms "for their guests comfort".

Room Tip: As about the size before you book. Do not take the smallest rooms unless you are on your own.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear 2plus2-9 - Thank you for your visit. We're deeply sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. We do apologize for the arrival experience as well as your guest room. Please know that your feedback has already been shared with our Executive Housekeeper for immediate action. If you had a moment, we would greatly appreciate if you could contact us directly at qeh.hotel@fairmont.com. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us and please rest assured we are following up on all the different points you expressed in your review. Best regards.

1,857 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Arabic first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and have stayed at various Fairmont properties around the world and this by far was the worst. We had to change rooms as our first "Fairmont" room (allegedly not a basic room) was tiny, had a cracked sink and faced concrete. Our second room was large but not redecorated since 1980's. An old clunky TV that you couldn't even watch from the bed and heating that didn't work. Staff were not helpful at all - wanted to ask concierge about local attraction and he ignored me for 10 minutes as he tried to help someone else with a very basic issue - she also agreed the hotel was a shambles. Very sad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear natasha b - We sincerely apologize for not providing you with the hotel experience you expected. We appreciate the feedback you shared online and please know we take your comments very seriously. We're sorry to hear about your recent visit and please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any assistance at all. Many thanks and regards.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here during UFC 158. Hotel looks a lot better insider than it does outside. Check-in was very smooth and customer service rep was very polite. Hotel is surrounded by places to eat as it is above the central station. It also includes restaurants insider, which I did not get a chance to try.

Not sure the doors are very well insulated for sound, as you would often hear other doors slamming and our own vibrating from the pressure outside.

Don't let this small negative deter you from staying here as this was an extremely busy night filled with party-goers.

I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators and vending machines.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Seanatis - Thank you very much for taking the time to share some feedback regarding your recent stay at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. We're glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Montreal. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future for another sports event. Warmest regards.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We arrived early for our hotel stay (12:00 noon). I knew my room would not be ready and we were prepared to spend some time seeing the city; we checked with the front desk and the lady that helped me was able to find us a room with all the same amenities. We checked in; dropped our luggage and enjoyed the city. Great stuff!! I have had some negative experiences with the Fairmont Royal York lately and I was glad to see that the Queen Elizabeth is a class act. The hotel had great central location and we were able to walk everywhere. The front reception said our room may be a little small for 4 people ... but, it was a perfect size ... no complaints. The only issue I had was that our thermostat seemed to be broken as we could not increase the heat in our room. It did not spoil our enjoyment of the hotel. It is attached to the underground network so you can hit a lot of shops and restaurants right from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sadie280 - Thank you for your loyalty to Fairmont Hotels and we're thrilled to hear the team made your recent stay in Montreal most pleasant and comfortable. Thank you for bringing the thermostat issue to our attention, so that we can address it. We most certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future. Kindest regards.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had stayed in different hotels in the downtown and the old port area for both business and pleasure. However, I found most of them are overpriced with mediocre services, nothing special. This time for personal reason, my wife and I had to go to Montreal for one night. Usually we stayed in the West Island but this time, we would like to stay in downtown. I was checking out prices on different websites and turned out that most of them are pretty much the same within the same hotel category, except for one hotel which would cost your $400.00 per night before taxes. On the Fairmont website, the regular room rate was very reasonable and I could even use my corporate rate which is almost $30.00 less per night. After reading the kinds of amenities this room included I finally booked a large Gold room with a King bed.

We pulled up at the hotel entrance at 2:30pm. Normally, the check-in time was at 4pm. However, I received an email from the concierge telling that my room was ready around noon. I took the valet service which was $29.00 with the privilege to go in and out. You can also self-park and I believe it was $22.00. Check-in was very smooth. The agent was polite and quite efficient. If you book a Gold room or rooms that are on the 18th and 19th floor, you will get to use the private panoramic elevator which only goes to the 18th and 19th floor. Wifi included on these floors. If you want free Wifi, join the Fairmont President Club which is Free.

My luggage was delivered within the next 20 minutes after we got into our room. The room was quite spacious around 475sq. feet. The bathroom had a glass walk-in shower, big bathtub and a marble sink, of course a toilet but not marble nor gold. The bed was comfortable. The room came with a nice Mount-Royal view. With the Gold room, you will have access to the private lounge on the 19th floor for drinks and breakfast. The lounge had very nice decor and very cozy.

This hotel is well located. If you don’t feel like eating in the hotel, you can easily access to local restaurants and bars nearby, walking distance. There is also an underground shopping mall underneath this hotel. I believe it is still one of the largest underground malls in the world. We went to dine in the Beaver Club which is located in the lobby floor and it was great! Not cheap but then it’s The Beaver Club. Service was excellent. I ordered a roast prime rib. Very tender and juicy! I had the “Menu du Plaisir”, which came with entrée, main course and dessert. Depending what you order but a party of two with a bottle of wine is about $200 plus taxes and tips.

Early morning, I went for a swim in the health club. I didn't use the gym but it was well equipped. The pool was a lap pool, quite big and wide. However, I found the water was a bit too cold. There were two hot tubs on the side and they are good size. The locker room had a steam bath, few showers and of course lockers.

After breakfast in the private lounge, my wife and I decided to try the Gibson Spa which was located beside the health club. There was also a 30% promotion on Sunday. I took a 85 minutes Swedish massage. It went by very fast because it was really nice. The only thing that I disliked was that when I wanted to sign the charge to my room, they didn't allow me. The reason was due to the promotion rate going on that day; I must pay directly to the Spa. I found that was really inconvenient. The Spa staff should have told me in advance at the time of booking. I had to run back to my room to grab my credit card.

Overall, I had enjoyed my stay at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth in Montreal. From the time I drove up to the entrance, till I checked out, everything went very smoothly. No complaints! Next time when I have to return to Montreal, I will most likely book again with Fairmont.

Room Tip: -Join the Fairmont President club. It's Free and you get free Wifi! -Book a Gold Room or suite...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SamprasCanada - We're delighted to read your recent review. Please rest assured your feedback has already been shared with our Fairmont Gold team and we're glad you truly enjoyed the amenities of the Fairmont Gold lounge. Thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to your next visit. Warmest regards.
Rockland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to the Fairmont Queen E. for business in February. The hotel is located just above the train station and close to the Bell Centre. Hotel staff was excellent - fast check-in and the bell boys were curteous and very helpful. The rooms are old and in need of repair but they are very comfortable and clean and yes they do have Keurig machines with good coffee in each room. The bed was plush and comfortable; almost like sleeping on a cloud. Did not eat at the hotel restaurant so can't comment on the food or the service. I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear malyhupe - We were thrilled to read the feedback you shared regarding your recent visit to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. Thank you for recognizing the great service provided by our colleagues and namely our bell staff. We're also glad to hear you enjoyed the comfort of our new mattresses. The team looks forward to welcoming you back in the future! Thanks and regards.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located in downtown right across the street from our Montreal office. The rooms were very clean, but a bit dated. Some of the staff was very nice, yet others seemed a bit rude or uncaring. I'd stay here again for the location, but not for the service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
FairmontQE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Woodzette - Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your past stay with us. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the location of our hotel yet apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the level of service. We invite you to contact us directly in order for you to share in detail your past experience with us by contacting qeh.hotel@fairmont.com. Kind regards.

Been to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth? Share your experiences!