“Worst Fairmont” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

Save Saved
You added Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth to your Saves list
Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Blvd. Rene Levesque West, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4A5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #49 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Worst Fairmont”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and have stayed at various Fairmont properties around the world and this by far was the worst. We had to change rooms as our first "Fairmont" room (allegedly not a basic room) was tiny, had a cracked sink and faced concrete. Our second room was large but not redecorated since 1980's. An old clunky TV that you couldn't even watch from the bed and heating that didn't work. Staff were not helpful at all - wanted to ask concierge about local attraction and he ignored me for 10 minutes as he tried to help someone else with a very basic issue - she also agreed the hotel was a shambles. Very sad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear natasha b - We sincerely apologize for not providing you with the hotel experience you expected. We appreciate the feedback you shared online and please know we take your comments very seriously. We're sorry to hear about your recent visit and please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any assistance at all. Many thanks and regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Arabic first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here during UFC 158. Hotel looks a lot better insider than it does outside. Check-in was very smooth and customer service rep was very polite. Hotel is surrounded by places to eat as it is above the central station. It also includes restaurants insider, which I did not get a chance to try.

Not sure the doors are very well insulated for sound, as you would often hear other doors slamming and our own vibrating from the pressure outside.

Don't let this small negative deter you from staying here as this was an extremely busy night filled with party-goers.

I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators and vending machines.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Seanatis - Thank you very much for taking the time to share some feedback regarding your recent stay at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. We're glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Montreal. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future for another sports event. Warmest regards.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We arrived early for our hotel stay (12:00 noon). I knew my room would not be ready and we were prepared to spend some time seeing the city; we checked with the front desk and the lady that helped me was able to find us a room with all the same amenities. We checked in; dropped our luggage and enjoyed the city. Great stuff!! I have had some negative experiences with the Fairmont Royal York lately and I was glad to see that the Queen Elizabeth is a class act. The hotel had great central location and we were able to walk everywhere. The front reception said our room may be a little small for 4 people ... but, it was a perfect size ... no complaints. The only issue I had was that our thermostat seemed to be broken as we could not increase the heat in our room. It did not spoil our enjoyment of the hotel. It is attached to the underground network so you can hit a lot of shops and restaurants right from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sadie280 - Thank you for your loyalty to Fairmont Hotels and we're thrilled to hear the team made your recent stay in Montreal most pleasant and comfortable. Thank you for bringing the thermostat issue to our attention, so that we can address it. We most certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future. Kindest regards.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had stayed in different hotels in the downtown and the old port area for both business and pleasure. However, I found most of them are overpriced with mediocre services, nothing special. This time for personal reason, my wife and I had to go to Montreal for one night. Usually we stayed in the West Island but this time, we would like to stay in downtown. I was checking out prices on different websites and turned out that most of them are pretty much the same within the same hotel category, except for one hotel which would cost your $400.00 per night before taxes. On the Fairmont website, the regular room rate was very reasonable and I could even use my corporate rate which is almost $30.00 less per night. After reading the kinds of amenities this room included I finally booked a large Gold room with a King bed.

We pulled up at the hotel entrance at 2:30pm. Normally, the check-in time was at 4pm. However, I received an email from the concierge telling that my room was ready around noon. I took the valet service which was $29.00 with the privilege to go in and out. You can also self-park and I believe it was $22.00. Check-in was very smooth. The agent was polite and quite efficient. If you book a Gold room or rooms that are on the 18th and 19th floor, you will get to use the private panoramic elevator which only goes to the 18th and 19th floor. Wifi included on these floors. If you want free Wifi, join the Fairmont President Club which is Free.

My luggage was delivered within the next 20 minutes after we got into our room. The room was quite spacious around 475sq. feet. The bathroom had a glass walk-in shower, big bathtub and a marble sink, of course a toilet but not marble nor gold. The bed was comfortable. The room came with a nice Mount-Royal view. With the Gold room, you will have access to the private lounge on the 19th floor for drinks and breakfast. The lounge had very nice decor and very cozy.

This hotel is well located. If you don’t feel like eating in the hotel, you can easily access to local restaurants and bars nearby, walking distance. There is also an underground shopping mall underneath this hotel. I believe it is still one of the largest underground malls in the world. We went to dine in the Beaver Club which is located in the lobby floor and it was great! Not cheap but then it’s The Beaver Club. Service was excellent. I ordered a roast prime rib. Very tender and juicy! I had the “Menu du Plaisir”, which came with entrée, main course and dessert. Depending what you order but a party of two with a bottle of wine is about $200 plus taxes and tips.

Early morning, I went for a swim in the health club. I didn't use the gym but it was well equipped. The pool was a lap pool, quite big and wide. However, I found the water was a bit too cold. There were two hot tubs on the side and they are good size. The locker room had a steam bath, few showers and of course lockers.

After breakfast in the private lounge, my wife and I decided to try the Gibson Spa which was located beside the health club. There was also a 30% promotion on Sunday. I took a 85 minutes Swedish massage. It went by very fast because it was really nice. The only thing that I disliked was that when I wanted to sign the charge to my room, they didn't allow me. The reason was due to the promotion rate going on that day; I must pay directly to the Spa. I found that was really inconvenient. The Spa staff should have told me in advance at the time of booking. I had to run back to my room to grab my credit card.

Overall, I had enjoyed my stay at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth in Montreal. From the time I drove up to the entrance, till I checked out, everything went very smoothly. No complaints! Next time when I have to return to Montreal, I will most likely book again with Fairmont.

Room Tip: -Join the Fairmont President club. It's Free and you get free Wifi! -Book a Gold Room or suite...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SamprasCanada - We're delighted to read your recent review. Please rest assured your feedback has already been shared with our Fairmont Gold team and we're glad you truly enjoyed the amenities of the Fairmont Gold lounge. Thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to your next visit. Warmest regards.
Rockland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to the Fairmont Queen E. for business in February. The hotel is located just above the train station and close to the Bell Centre. Hotel staff was excellent - fast check-in and the bell boys were curteous and very helpful. The rooms are old and in need of repair but they are very comfortable and clean and yes they do have Keurig machines with good coffee in each room. The bed was plush and comfortable; almost like sleeping on a cloud. Did not eat at the hotel restaurant so can't comment on the food or the service. I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear malyhupe - We were thrilled to read the feedback you shared regarding your recent visit to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. Thank you for recognizing the great service provided by our colleagues and namely our bell staff. We're also glad to hear you enjoyed the comfort of our new mattresses. The team looks forward to welcoming you back in the future! Thanks and regards.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located in downtown right across the street from our Montreal office. The rooms were very clean, but a bit dated. Some of the staff was very nice, yet others seemed a bit rude or uncaring. I'd stay here again for the location, but not for the service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
FairmontQE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Woodzette - Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your past stay with us. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the location of our hotel yet apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the level of service. We invite you to contact us directly in order for you to share in detail your past experience with us by contacting qeh.hotel@fairmont.com. Kind regards.
Aylmer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks on business in Montreal. The immediate plus for me was arriving by Via Rail. The main Montreal train station is virtually right under the hotel! A short walk from the train, through some glass doors and an ever-so-brief elevator trip. and you're in the main lobby.

I was warmly greeted, and due to my previous online signup for President's Club, I was given priority checkin as well as complimentary internet access. (normally about $12/day as I recall)

The sprawling lobby gives access to the Les Voyageurs Bar, a very cozy, oak panelled classic establishment, sometimes with live piano entertainment. The bartenders are top-notch. The drink are a little pricier than what you can get nearby if you walk a little, but this is a Fairmont -- not surprising.

The fitness facilities are one floor below. A generous assortment of equipment, free weights and mats are available, as well as a ceiling-mounted, TV. Upon presenting your room credentials at the reception, you are given towels and water. There is also a decent sized pool adjacent with steam rooms, showers, and two whirlpools.

The below-ground level also contains a very professional looking business centre, complete with reception, and mini-office suites to conduct meetings and work.

My room was on the 17th floor overlooking the Marie-Reine-du-Monde Cathedral. Impeccably spotless, very comfortable bed, and well-stocked mini bar. The bathroom was done up in dark stone, was very clean and functional -- perhaps a little dated. The toiletries were "Rose 31", quite nice compared to some other hotels.

I ordered room service, it was expensive but incredibly fast. They told me 15-25 minutes and my order was there in about 12 minutes.

Nearby there are tons of touristy things to be found within walking distance. A few streets over and you're in the upscale Ste-Catherine shopping district, full of fashion and merch. Very nearby you can find tons of restaurants, pubs and live music if you just wander.

All in all, a great stay. I'd definitely come back here again. The staff always strive to remember your name and make you feel like a valued customer.

Room Tip: Room 1742 is the suite where John Lennon & Yoko Ono stayed (after being denied entry to the USA...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear nebulaboy - Thank you for being a member of the Fairmont President's Club. We're glad to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel, the services provided and the fitness facilities. The entire team greatly appreciates your detail feedback and we hope to welcome you back in 2013! Thanks and regards.

Been to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth? Share your experiences!