“PERFECT LOCATION IF YOU ARE TAKING THE TRAIN” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

Save Saved
You added Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth to your Saves list
Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Blvd. Rene Levesque West, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4A5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #49 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“PERFECT LOCATION IF YOU ARE TAKING THE TRAIN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My family and I had to go to Montreal from Toronto. We took the train. The Queen E is situated on top of the train station. We arrived at 10pm and walked off the train, took the elevator to the lobby and from there to our rooms. Painless. Our return trip left at 6:45a. We woke up at 6a, checked out at 6:25a and were on the train by 6:35a.

The hotel is also connected to the underground city. Connections to two subway lines, commuter trains, shopping etc are all available without having to leave the underground.

The Queen E's rooms are somewhat dated but they are clean, quiet and comfortable. We had two connecting rooms. This provided more room than a suite at a far lower cost.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Threedogstwokids - We're thrilled to hear your recent hotel experience at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth was comfortable and very pleasant. We're glad you enjoyed the convenience of being located just above the train station. Thank you for your visit and we hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future. Warmest regards.

1,859 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed this past weekend at the Fairmont QE in Montreal with my family. There are many positive aspects about this hotel: great location attached underground to the train station, shops, and restaurants; excellent fitness room, friendly front desk and bell staff. Our in-room dining experiences were fine as well -- the food was quite good. However you should avoid Les Yoyageurs lobby bar/bistro at all costs -- this was the single worst service experience that we ever had. I complained to the hotel and they convinced me to try it again and the 2nd time was closer to what I would've expected in the first place from a Fairmont. Rooms were clean, but the TV channel selection was very limited (no English children's channels). I likely would not return as a family, but would as a business traveler.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear ChrisRMK - Thank you for your visit. We apologize for the unfortunate experience you had at Les Voyageurs bar. Having said that we're happy to hear the second night was more enjoyable. Thank you for the great comments regarding the overall service and the location of the hotel. We also appreciate your suggestion with regards to the TV channel selection. It will most definitely be reviewed. Thanks and regards.
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I grew up in Montreal and over the last 20+ years have re-visited many, many times; staying at numerous hotels but never the Queen Elizabeth until recently. Part of my reluctance was the knowledge it was built some decades ago, when room sizes were fairly modest. This was borne out by my stay.

The staff were all very professional and friendly, typical of other Fairmont properties, offering a better than average experience. Unfortunately the standard room I had was probably the smallest I've stayed in while in Montreal; that would be comparing it to the likes of Delta, which I stayed at most and the Sheraton and Omni more recently both have rooms that are superior. The beds were on the softer side but the room did have a little bar fridge, which I found useful for storing my own beverage or piece of cheese. Bathroom was also on the small side; considering I'm only 170cm (5'7") a much larger person would probably find it downright tight when seated on the toilet.

Location is fairly central, a short walk to lots of shopping, museums and Old Montreal. Restaurants are spread about the city, depending on tastes but generally none are difficult from the QE. If your taking the train in, you can't do better.

Parking: If you're driving in, behind the hotel, private paid parking on the street level is available for approximately $22 per 24 hour period but what is particularly handy is being able to come & go within that time. You get a printed receipt which acts as the permit, hence the ability to come and go, unlike typical paid lots.

So even though I'm giving the rooms an average rating, better is available elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear flashbulb - We're sorry to hear your recent stay wasn't memorable. We thank you for your detailed feedback and for recognizing the professional and friendly service provided by our dedicated colleagues. We still hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future and show you a true Fairmont hotel experience. Thanks and regards.
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My daughter and I just returned from 4 nights at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth. We found the front desk staff friendly and gracious. It was a very busy weekend at the hotel (we were there for a national dance competition) with more than one big event taking place, and they seemed to handle it well. We were offered a bigger room upon check-in, and despite the fact that the reno crew has yet to make it to the 21st floor, it was clean and comfortable. The location of the hotel is good--right above the train station and easy access to lots of good shopping, art galleries, etc. We had room service 2 mornings which was on-time and exactly as ordered. We ate at the restaurant and they had a delicious gluten-free option for my daughter who has celiac disease. Although not one of the more luxurious Fairmonts, it was good value and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms are small--upper floors are dated, but quiet and clean, with some bigger room options.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear jgw W - Thank you for your recent visit. We hope your daughter enjoyed the dance competition. And thank you for your feedback. We're glad your overall stay with us was pleasant and comfortable. As you mentioned we have different options when it comes to accommodations and we would be glad to assist you in the future in finding the room that best fits your needs. Should your travel plans bring you back to Montreal, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. Kind regards.
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I travel to Montreal monthly and have tried several other hotels in the same area (Marriott and Delta) and I prefer the fairmont to both. Check-in check-out is always a breeze. The rooms are generally consistent, which is a good thing. I really am looking for a clean room, quiet good night sleep with Wifi in the rooms. The fairmont delivers on all three. Added bonus--Great location for food, restaurants and nearby shopping.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Christopher C - Thank you for being such a loyal guest. We greatly appreciate your comments and thank you for taking the time to share some wonderful feedback with us. We hope to welcome you back again very soon. Until then, our very best regards.
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I just spend 4 night at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth in Montreal and I have been very disapointed: Even though I was there on business and my employer pays my room, I had certain high expectations for this hotel. Small room, Small Bathroom.
The bathroom was so small that when you sit on the toilet (which by the way was dirty when I walked in the room) you're crowded between the wall and the sink, you may want to be a contortionist to wipe after you're done.
The carpet in the room had stains, large stains. The yellow comforter had dark stains. The shower curtain, even though this was a non-smoking room clearly smelled like cigarette smoke. The headrest was very dusty and I only realized this when I put the 4 pillows against it to watch TV. The chairs were so old that you could feel the frame when sitting in.
They charge for every thing, including local calls and high speed internet, unless you are a "President's Club" member, but they do not mention that when you check in.
Forget the replenishment of soap and shampoo every day, you have to ask for it and they do not replace the soap you leave in the shower even if it is very thin.
The bed is so soft you sink in, no support of your back and not much comfort, even just to watch TV which is way to high on that huge entertainment unit.
If you want snacks or drinks, you're in Montreal, get out of the room if you do not want to go bankrupt: $8.50 for a liter of Evian Water, $10.50 for just over a handfull of jellybeans or cashews, $4.00 for a small can of Pringles chips. If you go downstairs to the Train Station, you'll find a convenience store to by those for a lot cheaper.
For a hotel of that reputation, I was very disapointed and I do not recommend this one to any one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Patrick B - We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us. This is certainly not in keeping with our very high standards of cleanliness and please rest assured your feedback has already been shared with our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer for immediate action. We've just installed new larger flat screen televisions in our guest rooms and we thank you for your suggestion. Please know we are currently reviewing the design of the entertainment unit. As for the comfort of the bed, we were quite surprised to read about your experience, since we've recently changed all of our mattresses. We're truly sorry for not providing you with the hotel experience you expected and we hope to have an opportunity in the future to redeem ourselves in your eyes. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Best regards.
Dorval, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the Queen Elizabeth as my husband’s company were having an event there. We booked through the company which gave us the corporate rate – not the cheapest. I was going to book directly on-line to get the better rate but, after reading reviews, thought we might get a better room paying the extra money. I had read on trip advisor that some rooms were not up to par. Our bathtub was disgusting; I took photos of it. It was peeling and broken. I guess the bathroom was renovated around the original tub. The rooms are not huge but they are OK. Bed is nice with duvet. We were on the 17th floor. I have stayed at other Fairmonts and the rooms were beautiful. The staff . we dealt with was very polite. The parking is $29 or $20 if you park at the CNR station. The breakfast is quite expensive so we ate at the Deli planet at the railway station – 5 minutes away. There are many other hotels in the area offering more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear mmv686 - Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback. We're sorry for not meeting your expectations on this occasion regarding the guest room. Please rest assured we have ongoing maintenance projects and renovation plans for bathrooms on certain floors of the hotel. That being said, we thank you for recognizing the service provided by our staff members. We do apologize for not offering you the hotel experience you expected and we do hope to have an opportunity in the future to redeem ourselves in your eyes. Thanks and regards.

Been to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth? Share your experiences!