“Great location, staff, and cleanliness - wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur

Save Saved
You added Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur to your Saves list
Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 rue Ste-Catherine Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1Z5, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #34 of 164 hotels in Montreal
Richmond, Virginia
“Great location, staff, and cleanliness - wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This review is rather long, but I want to give you a fuller review than "I like it" or "I didn't like it."
TripAdvisor reviews helped me choose this hotel, and I was happy; I think L'Abri deserves a thoughtful review from me.

I stayed for 10 days at L'Abri du Voyageur - September 16-26, 2013.

My first experience was with booking directly through the hotel website.
Everything went smoothly online, but I discovered that my credit card company had declined the transaction because payment was for a site in another country.
I contacted the hotel, and the manager, M. Laurier Bisson, was very helpful in clearing up the problem.
He was also great in subsequent emails and confirmations.

A tip for others (at least USA folks, as I am):
if you pay by credit card directly to a hotel in another country, be sure to let your credit card company know so they won't decline the charge!

I'm giving this place full marks for my personal experience, but with 2 small warnings for travelers.

The first warning, as has been stated here before, is that the reception desk is up a long flight of stairs from the street.
The hotel is in a protected historical building, and it does not own the first floor of the building - so there will never be an elevator in the place.
If you have mobility issues, even just walking up stairs, this is not the place for you.

My room was on the top floor, so after the long hike up the stairs from the street I then had to trudge up 3 more flights of stairs.
I'm pushing 60 and rather overweight, so to be honest I cursed my hotel choice the first couple of days because I hurt so much.
But between the stairs and the fact that I was walking all over this beautiful walkable city for hours and miles every day, my leg/knee/foot pain soon disappeared!
My legs are now in the best shape they've been in for years, and it's made me want to walk about my own city again. So yay!

The second warning, again stated before, is that the hotel is above a sex shop - this seems to be an issue for some people.
The hotel is NOT in a seedy area like Times Square New York City in the 1970s, okay?
Montréal is just a tad more open about stuff.

The sex shop is only one part of one side of the rue Ste-Catherine street level of the building.
The hotel is also above a convenience store, a check cashing spot, and a store that sells cowboy boots - but nobody warns about them. :)

And frankly, I rarely even noticed that the place was there - I was more concerned about going up those stairs every day.

The good stuff, which is most of it:

THE BEST STAFF EVER!

Upon arriving, I was greeted by the most genuine welcome I think I've ever gotten at any hotel anywhere in the world.
Dave was at the front desk, and I just can't say enough good things about this guy.

I'm sure many of us have encountered the usual smarmy, obsequious front desk people in hotels - the ones with big smiles who don't mean their smiles.
Dave is the total opposite.
He is a genuinely warm, friendly, and caring person - and he's rather goodlooking, so that's always a plus.
No overly toothy smile, just a genuine "Hi! We're happy to have you here" sort of thing - and he meant it.

He said "Bonjour" first, as everyone does in Montréal.
When he heard my bad accent saying "Bonjour" back he switched to English immediately with no pause - and no condescension at all.
We chatted about my visit, he gave me the key, showed me how to get up to my room, and asked me to stop by the desk on my way out for my first night in Montréal as he'd be happy to give me a brief intro to the area.

My room was C306 and was called a "superior queen room."
I was kinda hoping that for a 10-day stay they'd upgrade me to a studio with small kitchen, but I can't complain about the room.

One wall was exposed brick, which I thought really lovely (having lived in an apartment with that).
There was one small window in the sleeping are looking west down rue Ste-Catherine - the only other window was in the bathroom.
So there's no view but hey, you can pay three times as much a block away for a view that you rarely enjoy.

Even though rue Ste-Catherine is a major street, I rarely heard noise at all - Montréal is the quietest major city I've ever visited.
People seem much more civil than in other major cities - e.g. no honking car horns all the time.
Perhaps the rooms facing boulevard St-Laurent at the intersection of rue Ste-Catherine might have noise issues, but I don't know.

The firm queen-sized bed was really comfortable (seriously, it's the best I've slept in a long time).
The room also had a couch - I think it was a sleeper, but I never even sat on it.
There were two small bedside tables with lamps, as well as a low table at the end of the bed (not sure the point of that table - I kept bumping into it).

There was a desk with a phone, lamp, and a flat-screen TV (not sure of the size - maybe 24" or a bit larger?).
The TV had lots of cable channels - many in French, of course, but some Canadian channels in English as well as several US station from Vermont and NY.
The TV remote is a little confusing, so don't start pressing lots of buttons - ask for help!

Note to hotel: might be nice to have a small pad of paper and a pen on the desk.

There was what we call a "wardrobe" in the southern US - a tall, doored wooden box with shelves and hangars (a stand-alone closet, as it were).
Lots of room to store your belongings.
There's no in-room safe.

The sparkling clean bathroom had small bars of soap, several plastic cups in sealed plastic covers, as well as small bottles of shampoo and moisturizer.

The shower was a bit strange to me as it was essentially a wedge-shaped thing with sliding glass doors.
I'm a big guy - about 6' and 250 pounds - but I fit in it and washed myself just fine, thank you very much.
I wish it had a shower nozzle with a hose (something I found in every European hotel and have used at home ever since), but hey, I got clean every day.
The towels aren't ultra-thick and soft and all that, but they're very clean.

When I came down to the desk my first day, Dave asked "how do you like the room?"
My first word was "spotless."

And I'm serious.
I've never seen a cleaner hotel room in my life, and I've been in many.
The hotel in general is just spotless.

I encountered several "femmes de chambres" (AKA housekeeping) during my stay, and they were all smiling, sweet, and all were really gorgeous.
Those women do an amazingly good job at this hotel, so please tip them accordingly.

Dave introduced me to Zach, who usually works the night shift - I'd encounter him a couple times when I crawled home muttering "de trop" after a late night.
He's also got a great, genuine smile on his face and always seems glad to welcome you back.

I never got the name of another evening guy - handsome guy with dark hair - but he was sweet and nice to me, too.

Most days I also encountered a lovely woman at the desk who had gorgeous hair and a truly killer smile.
She always gave me a bright "Bonjour!" and a smile as I left or returned.
Never chatted with her, but I looked forward to her smile and her "Bonjour!"

The Staff - PERFECTION!
I'm talking the best staff I've encountered in 30 years of traveling.
Every single person who works there is someone I'd hire away if I had a hotel or resort - seriously, they are THAT good, helpful, and friendly.

LOCATION:

The location of this place is perfect!
You're within walking distance of so much - Centre-Ville (downtown), Chinatown, Vieux Port, Vieux Montréal.
The Village is less than 15 minutes walk away, even when stumbling back drunk after the Métro has closed. :)

The hotel is one block around the corner from Métro St-Laurent on the Green Line, and you can go almost everywhere on the Métro.
The bus is helpful to visit some places, and the St-Laurent bus 55 is right at the corner; that takes you up to the Plateau in no time (Schwartz's and Fairmount Bagels in minutes! Just walk one block west to rue St-Urbain for the return trip ).

There's another big-name, high-rise hotel about a block away that has elevators, but they charge triple/quadruple+ more than this place.
Yeah, that hotel name rhymes with "Try-It," but why try it when you've got a good hotel here with clean rooms and a staff that actually cares.

After I'd returned home, I got a nice email from M. Bisson saying he hoped I had a wonderful time and that I could have a 10% discount on my next visit.
I hope to get to Montréal again next April.
And yeah, I'll stay here again.
Never said that about a hotel before.

Kudos to M. Bisson for hiring the best hotel staff ever.
Now please increase their salaries accordingly! :)

love from Scott in Richmond, VA

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you for your thorough review, great comments and suggestions, as well as your excellent rating and recommendation of our hotel. I am pleased to be able to share your kind words with David, Zacharia, Carole and the other members of our reception team and housekeeping staff. We honestly believe that we have the very best clients that come through our doors everyday and therefore, it is a pleasure for us to ensure that they have a comfortable stay and wonderful experience in our beautiful city. As manager, I know how fortunate I am to have such a professional and amiable staff and thus appreciate your comments in this regard (though I am unsure I can adjust their salaries at this time as per your recommendation). We are so pleased that you plan to return next April. Rest assured that you will be the most welcome and that we have many more suggestions to make your next trip just as memorable.

363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This place is so amazing. I usually stay in regular hotels, but I thought I would try something different.

Location was excellent.

Service was excellent. David at the front desk was so helpful.

The room was so clean and spacious.

I definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request the 'Superior' room,
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are so pleased that you had a great stay at our hotel and I will certainly pass on your appreciation to Dave and the remainder of our staff. We look forward to your next visit.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was by far the best value hotel which I found when researching. The rooms were comfortable and indeed clean as described by other reviewers, but best of all, the staff were very friendly and helpful. It's a 5 min walk from Saint Laurent metro too, which makes it convenient and also walkable to other neighbourhoods or "quarters" of downtown Montreal. It was my first time in Montreal and I'd would just like to say this place helped to make my trip memorable. Thanks

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Our hotel prides itself in our customer service and offering clean affordable accommodations. We appreciate your kind words in this regard and are pleased that we helped in part, to make your trip a memorable one. Till next time.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights in a "superior" room. It was a really nice corner room with lots of windows and a great view of the streetscape below. It was also spotless and in immaculate repair. Had the breakfast option, which was at a coffee shop a few doors down: it was good as well. Location is perfect, metro station is only steps away and there's lots to see and do in easy walking distance.
We had travelled all night and arrived early in the morning, so the room wasn't available. They took our luggage, and offered us a temporary room to have a nap in. We were wide awake at that point so didn't take up the offer, but were impressed at the hospitality. Wifi was good.
The people here are exceptional: every single one, from the cleaning people to the front desk people, were so pleasant. Carol told us of interesting things to see and do, and how to get there. The guys at the desk, one helped us find breakfast, one gave us a personal wakeup call the morning we were leaving. Everyone at the desk always had a smile and wave whenever you were coming or going. Overall it was an excellent experience!

• Stayed September 2013
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your warm comments and the excellent rating that you provided our hotel. I am pleased that you had a great experience and that you appreciated the cleanliness and decor of your room, as well as the hospitality of our reception and housekeeping staff. We love making our guests feel at home in the hotel, as well as help them discover the neighborhood and city that we love. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Montreal.....give us a call to receive our special return guest rates.
Busan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel for many reasons. First of all, the staff is incredibly nice and helpful during your trip. Indeed, Carole, Zakaria or Fave are nice/aware people to talk to. Secondly, this hotel is located in the "old quebec", and really close to anything interesting or entertaining. Moreover the rooms we've been with my girlfriend are large and clean. The price is way cheaper than you can find in this particular area. Higly recommended.

Room Tip: room 205 or C101. Talk to the staff.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We appreciate the excellent rating that you have awarded us. I am pleased that this was the perfect place for you to stay while in Montreal I will to share your kind words and comments with Carole, Zacharia and Dave. Our hotel strives to offer not only incredible customer service but good,clean accommodations at a reasonable cost for a prime downtown location. We love to see our guests return time and time again and thus look forward to welcoming you once again. Remember to book on our website or by calling directly to our hotel reception to get our special VIP (return guest) discounted rate.
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two nights. The location is perfect for seeing the sights, shopping and restaurants. The staff were helpful and friendly. You should take into consideration that there is no elevator and plenty of stairs. So it could be a problem if you have many or heavy bags, Also, it would be nice to upgrade the towels, they are thin and small. One more tip - if you are taking the 747 bus from the airport, get off at China town (you can see the gate from the bus).

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments and suggestions regarding our property. We are pleased that you enjoyed our wonderful location, our clean rooms and helpful staff. Being a historic building without an elevator, there are many stairs but if one needs assistance, our staff is always willing to help with luggage. The 747 Express Bus is a great tip since it is a convenient way to come from the airport to the hotel. The Abri du Voyageur stop (next to the Chinatown gates) is clearly indicated on the bus and from the stop, one only has to walk one block north to the hotel on the corner of St. Laurent and Ste. Catherine. Till next time.
Newburyport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stopped here for a couple of days and it was excellent. The staff was really helpful and friendly, knowledgable and courteous. The location on St. Catherine is great and the room was clean with a comfortable bed. I took the inexpensive shared bath, and it was no problem. There's a sink and TV in the room so it's very convenient. Its definitely worth the price.

Only cons and they're not that big are that it's a walkup, so there are stairs and you can hear others walking by in the hallway. Overall though the value is great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We are pleased that you appreciated our prime location, the cleanliness of our property, our customer service and that overall you felt is was great value. Being a historic building, there are indeed many steps to contend with....we refer to it as our stairmaster.....it keeps the staff in shape. We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel on your next trip.

Been to Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur? Share your experiences!