“Convenable, Rien de Chic —Mais Globalement Pas Mal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur

Save Saved
You added Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur to your Saves list
Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 rue Ste-Catherine Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1Z5, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #36 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Chicago
“Convenable, Rien de Chic —Mais Globalement Pas Mal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

While my room did not resemble anything depicted in either the "professional" or "traveler" photos, and there were a few other minor off-notes, I found L'Abri du Voyageur quite satisfactory.

On the plus side, the location —the still relatively new Quartier des Spectacles at the eastern end of downtown and a short walk from the Quartier Latin, just around the corner from two Métro stations— is great, and the staff are helpful and friendly. The included breakfast is actually a voucher for the nearby Café Dépôt chain, a Starbucks competitor, and is quite good. There are other options in and around the Complexe Desjardins shopping center.

I should also give points to the staff for their quick attention to a minor glitch that I'd noted and pointed out to them on the display of the lobby computer. I had in fact expected this to be ignored.

My room, though spartan, was large, and quite suitable to my needs, even though a.) the television signal was abominable, b.) I couldn't find a way to turn on the ceiling light, and c.) the advertised WiFi was not available.

On what may be the not-so-plus side for some travelers, one does have to climb a long flight of stairs to the reception desk, then another set of stairs to the floor where the shared-bathroom rooms are. One might also want to keep in mind another reviewer's comment about the place not being for light sleepers. Though I had no problem sleeping with the window open, the adjacent intersection of Rue Ste-Catherine and Boulevard Saint-Laurent can be a gathering spot for rowdy characters.

As for the sex shop next door, perhaps only the most incorrigible bluenose would have reason to be concerned. These establishments are not the squalid, creepy spots that many in the US are —and many of both the customers and staff are women.

In view of price and location, this hotel proved a good choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for your review and your comments regarding the hotel and the area. I am pleased that you appreciated the attention of our staff during your stay, as well as our convenient location in the downtown core. With our budget rooms, there are differences in room size and furnishings from one room to the next but I am pleased that the room type suited your needs. Though the budget rooms with shared washrooms remain an excellent value, for those clients wishing more amenities, our newly renovated studio apartments and superior rooms with private washrooms are a good option. I am sorry that you experienced some problems with the television and the wifi signal.....the internet provider has since been back and we hope that all is resolved. We look forward to welcoming you once again to our establishment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Oakville, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I had a great all-around experience at this hotel. It is located at the intersection of St. Laurent and St. Catherine which is a quick walk to the Latin Quarter, as well as having an adjacent Metro station just outside its doors. Walking up from the street doesn't give you the greatest first impression as it looks more akin to a hostel type lodging, but once inside I was very pleased. The staff was very friendly and helpful, offering me unique insight into what the city had to offer, as well as offering to hold my luggage for the afternoon after checkout as I had time to kill before my next check-in at a different hotel. I stayed in the most basic room as I was travelling solo (one double bed). The room on the whole was on the smaller side (tiny shower), but I didn't mind as it was very clean, modern looking with exposed brick, good air conditioning, etc. All-in-all I had a great experience at l'abri du voyageur and would recommend it to anyone looking for a cozy hotel in a great city.

Room Tip: Choose the option without an included continental breakfast (if you are 100% certain you will be sta...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
We are pleased that you had a great over-all experience in our hotel and I am happy to share with the reception and housekeeping staff your kind words regarding the service received and the cleanliness of your room. Our single standard rooms are indeed smaller than our superior rooms or our studio apartments but remain the best value for a single traveler. Thanks for the tip to other Tripadvisor clients regarding the special prepaid non refundable rate. Till next time....a bientôt.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

As others have said, the biggest selling point for this hotel - besides the real bargain price - is its staff, all of whom go the extra mile. Carole, especially, went out of her way to give me helpful tips, including for one-off events happening that weekend that I would otherwise never have known about. Even the cleaning lady made sure I knew where to find all the shared bathrooms, so I never had to wait. The location is really good, certainly considering the price - yes, to one side of it you have the somewhat dodgy end of Rue St Catherine, but to the other side you're right into the interesting and fun parts of the city. There was an open-air cinema just a few minutes walk away, for example, and you're in easy walking distance from Vieux Montreal. Don't worry at all about the sex shop next door - it's very tasteful, in fact they had a 'scuba diving' theme going in their display window which I thought was hilarious! As someone else said, you could walk past with your grandmother and she wouldn't bat an eyelid.
I went for one of the cheapest rooms, with shared bathroom, which was a little rundown and small, but hey, you get what you pay for, and everything was spotlessly clean. The only real problem I had was with the noise - other people don't seem to have had this problem, so it must be very dependent on the room. But staying there over a busy weekend in August, there was enough noise from the street outside that I had definite trouble sleeping the first night, and I don't consider myself a light sleeper. The walls are also very thin - I could clearly hear the people next door opening and closing their chest of drawers, for example, not to mention the girl next door who was clearly having a VERY good time of it in Montreal. I mentioned the noise the next day to the hotel staff and to be fair, they tried to change me to a different room, but weren't able to. So I bought some earplugs and after that things weren't too bad.
The staff are so great that this hotel deserves to do well, and I don't want to put people off. But if you're sensitive about noise levels, mention this when booking your room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment and for your kind words regarding location, cleanliness of the rooms, staff and price. We are aware that being in the downtown area, located in a historic building, that some of the rooms (particularily the budget rooms) can be noisy with street disturbances. Our fantastic location in a centennial building has its charm and many great conveniences but this is indeed one of the drawbacks. We appreciate your recommendations and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

my Wife and I stayed there for 2 night in late August 2013in this hotel.
First we were surprised with a change in the room, that we never been notified about, 2 queen bad instead of 1 , they told me it's an upgrade but for me it's it's not and I hated it.
Because I complained the bold guy disliked me and kept ignoring us all the time, so I did the same: I'm the customer and he represents the hotel , he should behave more professionally than that. However the daytime lady was very kind!
In the room everything is "cheap" : the mattress the covers the TV the windows curtails, the table...etc.
Windows too small
No frig , no microwave .
Old style room keys.
Sex shop next to the entrance is very embarrassing, especially if you have kids.
The only 2 good things with this hotel is the cleanness and the location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are truly sorry your experience at our property did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to guarantee our guests 100% genuine hospitality and we constantly try to provide a perfect service. Though we were unable to change you to a smaller room on the first evening, we would have gladly changed you the following morning for the duration of your stay. Though we understand that there is personal preferences in mattresses and decor, all of mattresses in the superior rooms are first grade posturepedic quality and these rooms have been recently renovated keeping with its historical past with boutique hotel quality furnishings. I hope to welcome you again to have the opportunity to show you the trademark service that we are so proud of.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

At first we thought this would be very backpacker like and did not have high expectations for it especially with the shared bathrooms.

We were wrong!

When we arrive though we received a warm welcome from Carrol who gave us a lot of tips on what to do and where to go, as our flight got in very early.

In the evenings David gave us excellent service as we had some CC troubles he went up and out of his way to help us out with them. There was one more guy there too, forgot his name but he was great also.

Although it is shared bathrooms there are many bathrooms per level so you wont have a problem, and it isn't stalls either.

If you ever have a problem or have any questions just ask the staff, they are very helpful and accommodating.

Definitely would recommend this to any traveler.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for the kind words and your excellent recommendation. We make every effort to exceed the expectations of our guests with true hospitality. We are also pleased that you were impressed with the budget rooms with shared washrooms. In addition to the budget rooms, we also have in the hotel, superior rooms with private washrooms in the newly renovated section and studio apartments with fully equipped kitchens, thus meeting the needs of most travelers. Thanks once again for your review and till next time.
Ballston Spa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed a week, based on the recommendations of other TripAdvisor users, and were not disappointed.

The room was immaculate, and the availability of a full kitcheonette made our stay super easy - on our first day, we visited St. Viateur Bagels, and returned with marvellous breakfast for the rest of the week.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Metro, and is well located for exploring along St.Catherine or St. Laurent.

We received some excellent recommendations from the friendly front desk on local dining.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. A Montreal bagel for breakfast is a local staple. We are pleased that you had a wonderful stay and that in part, we were able to help in making your trip to Montreal a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.....please remember that return guests that book directly with the hotel have a special discount.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Such a fantastic location - a busy street with lots of activites, so close to the metro and a short, plesant walk through Chinatown to Old Port. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and to make sure we had a good time in the city. The day we checked out we were able to leave our bags as we explored the city and then, after walking around on a hot July day and climbing the steps to the top of Mont Royal, we were given a towel and shown to the bathroom just off the lobby - they have a shower available outside the guest rooms!! We would totally stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and excellent recommendation. I am pleased that you enjoyed our prime location and in your words, our fantastic staff. We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel on your next visit to Montreal.

Been to Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur? Share your experiences!