“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur

Save Saved
You added Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur to your Saves list
Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 rue Ste-Catherine Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1Z5, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #34 of 168 hotels in Montreal
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Avoid this hotel at all costs! You can hear everything, and the area is very noisy, and in the red light district. It is dirty and the bed is very hard. The staff are extremely rude and will not give you a refund if you decide to leave. Please do not make the same mistake I made. It ruined the start of our holiday and was a big waste of money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
As manager, I appreciate speaking directly with clients to ensure that there stay in our hotel is as pleasant as possible. Unfortunately, until this review I was not aware of your dissatisfaction and thus was unable to address any of your issues. Since the new administration three years ago, we have received on numeours sites, very high ratings from our guests relative to our friendly personnel, our excellent location and the cleanliness of our rooms. For the past two years, Tripadvisor has awarded us an excellence award. We are proud of these accomplishments and rest assured that we will continue to work diligently to offer our guests the best service at a reasonable cost.

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here end of September. Great location - we walked everywhere (Mont Royal, Latin Quarter, Historic District, Chinatown, etc.) from here. Our room was on an upper floor in the furthest corner. It was very comfy, clean, quiet and we could enjoy looking out the windows to the busy street below. On the upper floor, plan on stairs with your suitcases and don't complain. A recommendation for Modavie Restaurant towards the beautiful old area was perfect, what a delicious dinner on our first night there. A minimal breakfast is included just across the street. Everyone associated with the hotel was a pleasure to talk to and helpful. Can't beat the location for the price. Would recommend and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor, better room, but you will have to carry suitcases up quite a lot of stairs. Pack light...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thanks for your review and recommendation. We are pleased that you appreciated the staff and service, as well as our excellent location. We look forward to your next visit.
Manor, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur is located in a great location in Montreal. I think that it is technically in the Latin Quarter, but it is extremely close to the arts district as well as to Chinatown. It was a pretty good spot from which to venture out into the different areas of Montreal. I like to walk around and I had never visited Montreal before, so in this regard the hotel was terrific.

If you were to blink you would miss the entrance to the hotel. Like many European hotels or even hotels in NYC, the entrance is tiny and unassuming. The first floor of the building is a sex boutique and the hotel entrance sort of gets lost amidst the window displays for the shop. I was thankful that I wasn't accompanied as I would have had a lot of explaining to do to my wife had she been along for the trip. The sex shop didn't really bother me, but it didn't exactly class up the building either.

One has to walk up a narrow flight of stairs to get the lobby. If there is an elevator then I did not see it. The stairs could prove difficult for someone with a lot of luggage. I don't believe there was a bellman on duty for this hotel -- just a desk clerk. The front desk folks I dealt with were all very professional and accomodating. I was able to check in several hours early, which I greatly appreciated.

I was assigned a room on the "first" floor of the hotel (the second floor of the building.) The room was very nice and relatively large for it being a "standard" size with a queen-sized bed. One brick wall was exposed and there were numerous windows, all with pleated shades that could be drawn. It was appointed very well and I appreciated the beautiful hard wood floors. There was a small writing desk and a modestly-sized TV. There was not a great deal of English-speaking programming but then again this was Quebec. The toilet was in a bit of a confined space and was separate from the washroom, where there was a sink and a smallish walk-in shower. Water pressure was better than expected and hot water was plentiful.

While during the day I thought the room was terrific, I learned quickly at night that there were going to be issues. The hotel is on one of the busiest downtown streets in Montreal and the street noise was significant until 1:00 in the morning. (This was a weeknight, for what it's worth.) The windows must be paper-thin because I could hear music coming from every car that stopped at the intersection below. I could hear every conversation being had by people walking by on the street. It was LOUD. I always bring earplugs and those facilitated my ability to get to sleep.

There are a couple of floors in the building above the one I was on and I suspect the street noise might be more modest up there. It also appeared that some rooms did not face Rue St. Catherine, the main drag I've been referring to. It might be worth asking to stay in one of them.

Since I was only staying one night during a quick business trip, I didn't make a big deal out of the noise issue. I had gotten an incredible rate --- $106 with taxes and suspect that I got what I paid for. There are plenty of options in downtown Montreal, but not many this inexpensive.

Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur is a weird dichotomy. The location, quality of room and rate were extremely nice. The street noise was bad. The location above a sex shop was somewhat amusing. I can say that I do recommend the hotel but if you were to stay there I would ask for a room sheltered from the street.

Room Tip: Stay away from anything facing Rue St. Catherine!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thanks for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed the location and our excellent rates for downtown Montreal. Ste-Catherine can be a busy street on weekends and it is quieter on a higher level room; however, it does imply more stairs. We will be making modifications to the main entrance and our 2nd floor lobby this winter. We hope to see you again.
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We found an extremely reduced special rate on Booking.com for a suite with one bed, but when we arrived we realized they'd upgraded us to a suite with two beds! That was a really nice surprise. Kitchen was fully equipped with cooking and dining utensils, a microwave, toaster, large fridge and even an ice bucket for wine. The location was also great (literally down the street from Place-des-Arts, about a 5 min walk to St Laurent and right in the middle of downtown) and the front desk was totally fine with us leaving our luggage there after checkout. Cons: Although the cleaning services were thorough and tidy the first day, there was no service on the second day despite our requesting it with the door tag. Also, it's surrounded on both sides by sex shops and adult stores, and you do have to walk up a few flights of stairs with your luggage. Overall: excellent value for the price we paid and more than met our expectations :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Our studios all have full kitchens and many appreciate this convenience. We are pleased that you enjoyed your upgrade and that you were able to benefit of our great location. Till next time.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Located a few steps away from Place de Art, which is right at the starting point of the bar alley on St. Katherine St.., and Shopping district (on the same St. Katherine St.). The rooms are nice. Small, but very clean. Service is very friendly, always very glad to help. This is a place to stay if you are not looking for something posh, but more comfortable then a hostel. If this hotel would have more rooms with shared bathroom, I would say it's a best for its price at this location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Glad that you enjoyed the service. Our hotel, being located in a centennial building have rooms of a variety of sizes. Our budget rooms have shared washrooms and tend to be smaller but our standard, superior and studio apartments have all been renovated and have private washrooms. There is a room type for everyone's budget. Hope to see you again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in a studio (with full kitchen and private bath), booked ahead online to get the discounted pre-paid rate. Room was very clean and it was an inside room so it was quiet, although you can hear other guests walking in the hallways etc. Bed was ok, a little hard, but sheets were crisp and clean. We always stay at budget hotels, would rather spend our cash on food and drink! Staff was very nice. It's a great location, literally one block from the metro, 2 blocks from a supermarket, and easy walking distance to shopping and dining in the downtown area, chinatown, and latin quarter. I would stay here again. Only downside is parking is expensive, but it is anywhere in the city... there was a lot around the corner offering parking for $12 per day but we were advised against parking there (although it seemed ok to me) and parking at the Place des Artes is close but $17 per day.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quieter and studios have a full kitchen
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Many guests take advantage of our special rates (prepaid non-refundable rate) and appreciate our reasonable price for a downtown location. We thank-you for your patronage and look forward to your next visit.
Scottsdale, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

During a recent family trip to Canada, my wife and I had been convinced by another couple to visit Montreal and Quebec.Traveling on a budget, we trying to find a reasonable compromise between the location and quality of the hotel. Based on the strength of other reviews, I had picked this hotel. I must say that despite the initial impression, we ended up liking this hotel a lot.

I must start off by saying that the hotel is in an excellent location, on the corner of two central streets, Blvd St. Laurent and Rue Ste. Catherine. Having visited Montreal before (20 years ago), I knew this to be a prime spot. However, seeing that other hotels in the area costed at least twice as much, I was a little weary of the trade-offs that this hotel must offer, and was wondering if all the good reviews were due to the hotel's location, rather than the accommodations. It was difficult to tell from the pictures, so, in truth I did not know what to expect.

The central location is a bit of a double-edged sword: many streets in Montreal are one-way, while others do not allow left turns. In addition, while the GPS does not show this (even with current Google maps on the smart phone), part of Ste. Catherines is closed off to vehicular traffic for the summer, due to a number of festivals in the neighboring complex for the arts, transforming the street into a pedestrian mall. This makes getting to the hotel quite difficult. Even when you do get to the vicinity of the hotel, you realize that it is not possible to get close enough to the front of the hotel to easily unload the luggage. The hotel does not have its own parking; however, there is a lot a few hundred feet away that will let you park, for $25 per day.

The hotel is in in a family-friendly location - the hotel occupies 2nd floor and up of a couple old buildings joined together. The main floor establishment has a large neon sign "Sex Shop", and the store windows contain various sex paraphernalia, toys, and erotic clothing in lace, leather, and vinyl. If you are traveling with children and are not willing to indulge their curiosity, staying in this hotel would probably be ill-advised. The stretch of Ste. Laurent going south is also lined up with seedy establishments, reminiscent of New York's Times Square circa 1970.

Needless to say, having been greeted with the above-mentioned neon sign upon approaching the place, I was not exactly sure what to expect. As I mentioned, the lobby is on the 2nd floor and there is no elevator in the building. As one of our traveling companions had a sore knee, this was a bit of a concern, especially as the floor heights in the old buildings are probably close to 14 feet, making the flights of stairs way longer than they are, especially when being weighed down by the luggage.

Still, the lobby was neat, and tastefully furnished. The clerk at the reception desk was very friendly, and his cheerful disposition put me at ease. After registering, we were directed to our rooms, which happened to be on the top (4th) floor. I quickly realized that the hotel was made up of two separate buildings, which were only connected on the 2nd floor, and even then were on two different levels. So after getting to the lobby, we had to step down 6 steps, and then go to a separate stairway to go up. Did I mention that there are no elevators?

Yet, these minor nitpicks aside, when we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised by the decor. The room was decorated with a tasteful mix of painted plaster and exposed brick walls, the overhead ventilation and sprinkler pipes were also painted in silver color, giving the modern, clean look to the space. The headboard and night tables were modern, light-colored wood finish, as was a coffee table, and an arm chair. Opposite the bed, there is a desk with a drawer unit, and a rather large flat-screen TV mounted on the wall, in the same wood finish. The bed was covered with a matching bedspread. The look was clean and modern, yet warm and welcoming. Our room did not have a closet, but it had a large wardrobe, with a hanger rod on one side and shelves on the other. It is a simple but practical solution to storage, without messing up the feel of the historic building.

The bathroom was also nice and modern. It had a sink, an oval toilet, and a nice shower with sliding glass doors. There was no bathtub, which to me would be useless anyways, unless it is a Jacuzzi tub. The toiletries were nice, though the towels were thin.

The bed was comfortable, better than I had expected at an inexpensive hotel, which added to the overall experience of the stay. Our room was looking out to the north, and even though all we could see was the top floors of other building, they looked kept up and added to the urban feel of the location. The air conditioning unit in the window was a little noisy, but not horribly so, and kept the room cool without straining.

The other nice thing is the included breakfast - rather than serving one in the hotel, with questionable quality of food, the hotel provides visitors with the vouchers to a cafeteria located across the street (which is closed to car traffic). The cafeteria is properly equipped, and will trade you a breakfast coupon for a selection of continental breakfast fare, with a choice of a croissant or a muffin, a bottled smoothie, a yogurt or fruit salad, or such. The coffee or tea is also included. You can also pay extra to get a sandwich or eggs. Having experienced the inconsistent quality of the breakfasts served at other hotels, with questionable-quality of food, three-day-old muffins, and running out of other staples, I thought it was nice to be served by a properly trained staff, who stores food in properly refrigerated storage, stocks fresh croissants and pastries, and makes consistently good coffee.

But of course, the best thing about this hotel is the location. It is within walking distance of the Old Montreal, the Arts complex, and shopping. During the two days that we stayed there, we ended up not using the car at all, as all the places of interest to us were within the walking distance. As you can gather from other reviews, there is a wealth of public transportation options in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, though the bus fare is $3 each way - this is the norm in major Canadian cities, e.g. Toronto and Quebec. And if you are interested in the Montreal nightlife, this seems to be right in the middle of it (you'd need to take pains to avoid being immersed into it).

Overall, despite a few minor shortcomings, this turned out to be a very good hotel stay, with the friendly service and clean, tasteful accommodations easily eclipsing the initial misgivings I had about this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking the time to review our establishment. We read our clients reviews carefully and always try to improve on the quality of the service that we offer. I realize that there is quite the daunting stairwell but I am pleased that you found the accomodation a pleasant surprise. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur? Share your experiences!