“Perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur

You added Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur to your Saves list
Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 rue Ste-Catherine Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1Z5, Canada (Quartier des Spectacles)   |
Announcement
Special Winter Rates
Ranked #34 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fargo, ND
“Perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Great location, very close to China Town, easy walk to Old Montreal as well. Metro is close as well. Don't worry about the strip clubs around there, if you want to avoid them, just take a right when you walk out of the hotel. If you are staying in downtown Montreal, one of the things you have to expect is walking past a strip club. Not the prettiest area at night, but no problems at all. The room was fine, nothing fancy, but good enough. Shared bathrooms were fine, there was always a shower available, no problem. Front desk was helpful, as well. Not noisy at all with the air conditioner on, not sure otherwise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thanks for your comments. Being very centrally located in the downtown area, there are strip clubs and some homeless individuals. The area, however, is very safe. In addition to being close to Old Montreal, Chinatown, the latin quarter and the gai village, we are in the midst of the finest entertainment venues in the city. Our area (Quartier des Spectacles) also hosts most of Montreal's festivals. We are pleased that you found our hotel the perfect location to visit the city. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The good:
No bedbugs. Clean and safe. Great location, close to many interesting areas of the city. Very reasonable rates.

The bad:
Roaring traffic on street in front of hotel well into the night. Insist that they give you a room at the back facing inner courtyard.

Staff has a lot of attitude. I know this isn't the Hilton , but, even with cheap rates, you should expect at least a basic pleasant manner with the public. If there's any problem, be prepared for long unpleasant arguments.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank-you for your feedback. We are fortunate in being very well situated at the crossroads of St. Laurent and Ste-Catherine, close to most major tourist sites. Our hotel prides itself in having an excellent rapport with our clients and have received numerous accolades and excellent ratings in this regard. I was dissapointed to hear that this was not your experience in our establishment and invite you to give me a call. All our guests to our hotel, should expect to receive not only a pleasant manner from staff but a warm friendly service to make their stay with us a memorable one.
Gloucester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We arrived a bit confused but the staff could not be more accommodating. The location was a short walk to the historic district and adjacent to the theatre district. I could not be more pleased. The area is under a transformation as is the hotel. Rooms were neat and clean. A special treat were the breakfast coupons for a neighboring restaurant. I will return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thanks for your excellent recommendation. We have great comments on the continental breakfast that we offer with all regular rates. We are pleased that you will be returning and look forward to your next visit.
Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The price was excellent, and much better than I thought I'd be able to get in Montreal. The location is great: a minute walk to a metro station one way, a minute walk to a 747 bus stop (to and from the airport) the other way; there are also places to eat right across the street, as well as cheap convenience stores. The rooms are nice, clean, and spacious. My room had a huge walk-in closet (though I don't unpack at hotels, I'm sure some guests would greatly appreciate this). The room also had an A/C, which I enjoy. However, like any experience, it did have its negatives. The walls were very thin; I could hear everything that was going on with my neighbors, as well as on the street, causing me to wake up every early every day. There is no elevator, and a lot of stairs - I wouldn't recommend this hotel for someone who finds them difficult. Most of my experience was positive, and I would have left a higher rating, except for the fact that a pair of shoes went missing from my room during my stay. I find it hard to believe that they were stolen (as nothing else was missing, and these were not new, or expensive, shoes), but the staff could not give me an explanation for where they were, or why they were gone. It was an extremely frustrating way to end my trip. I would still recommend this hotel, however, and would probably stay there again, but I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on my things next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for your review. We are fortunate that our hotel boasts an excellent location to visit the city, being in the midst of the entertainment district and in proximity to most of the major tourist sites of Montreal. I was surprised to hear that you had an item that went missing and certainly apologize for this inconvenience. I wish I had the opportunity to speak to you in order to review the circumstances of the missing shoes. I am pleased that you will return....a la prochaine (till next time).
Slc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Located in a convenient part of the city, but next to a "Sex Shop", so families with teen-agers should take that into consideration. I had a $75 "Budget room with breakfast and shared bath." The room was charming and fairly large. Bathrooms were spotless and the bathroom sharing was no problem. The desk people were exceptionally nice and informative. The breakfast was a good deal because they sent you to a restaurant and to purchase the same breakfast would have been much more. Don't get a room that faces the street. The street festivities are very LOUD and continue until 4am, then at 6am the loud garbage trucks appear. They are obviously working to make this a super hotel and work hard to please the guests. The beds were quite comfortable and the linens spotless, not quite sure if the maid changed the linens each day or if she just made the bed. The pillows need work and there are a few other cleaning issues that need attention. Yes, go. It is a good value!

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces the busy street!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry56Montreal, Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thanks for recommending our hotel. In all of our rooms, including the budget rooms, we have daily housekeeping. If you need additional pillows, do not hesitate to ask. Depending on the activities in the area, there can be some street noise; however, it is not always the case. Thanks for your positive comments regarding our staff....we do everything possible in order that our guests have a most pleasant stay in Montreal.
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This little hotel was a pleasant surprise for my friend and I after 10 days changing accomodation across Canada.

It was the one we liked the most: great value for money, one of the cheapest we stayed in being also very clean, well kept and spacious.
Big bedrooms with high ceilings, new furniture and fittings, nice decoration...
The staff is very nice, honest and helpful. Since there is no elevator and we were carrying heavy luggage, the lady at reception offered to change our room in the 3rd floor for one close to reception and then refunded $10 because that one was cheaper. A big thank you for her!!

Location is great. 10-15min away walking to the Old Port, the train station, downtown and the latin quarter. It is true that it is located next door to a sex shop but don't let that fool you. The neighbourhood that may have been low profile in the past is being renovated and accomodation there is budget and good quality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Many clients comment that we have the best value. We try hard to keep high standards while keeping our prices as low as possible. Being that the hotel begins on the second floor and that it is located in a centennial building, it does have lots of character but there are many stairs to contend with. If stairs are an issue, do not hesitate to ask if there is anything on a lower level and we will certainly try to accomodate. Next time you make another Canadian trek, we hope hope that you will join us once again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Certainly would stay there again. The price for a down town Montreal hotel was amazing. Definitely felt more like a hostel rather than a hotel-- the rooms were private but the showers and toilets were shared. For me and my friends this was completely acceptable but may not be for couples. Service was so helpful-- arranged my 4am cab to the airport. The free breakfast was also very good.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur? Share your experiences!