“Great Location, Great Sleep, Great Absinthe Bar!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Montreal

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Montreal to your Saves list
InterContinental Montreal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   360 rue St-Antoine Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 3X4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Flexibility & Breakfast!
Ranked #46 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Great Location, Great Sleep, Great Absinthe Bar!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Stayed here 3 nights with my husband in a Club King Room. Hotel was in a great location for all the things we wanted to do. Old Montreal is at your doorstep and the subway is connected to the hotel for moving about. St. Catherine Street is a 3 minute walk for great shopping.
Sleep was fantastic. We were on the 25th floor and heard NOTHING.
We hit the absinthe bar one night for a late night drink and enjoyed the private room we had to sip on pure absinthe. Very fun experience.

We had access to the club intercontinental which gave us free breakfast and free early evening food and unlimited drinks, including hard liquor and wine from 5:30 to 7:30, WIFI and papers to read in the club room. All this came in handy for us. Great place to relax an fuel up after shopping and touring around.

I did find that the hotel and the room were dark in lighting. I found myself struggling to find a spot with good light to organize things or get ready for the day. It feels like an "evening" hotel even in the daytime.

It was clean but my washroom was looking a bit old and in need of a new tub.

Elevators were slow and one was under repair more than once during our stay. We had a useless view from our room. Faced another wing of the hotel. We looked down onto the shopping concourse and had to strain our necks to see any view of the city.

The hotel is attached to a great concourse for shopping, and includes a part of the Berlin Wall, which was given to the City of Montreal for its birthday. Very interesting.

I would stay here again. It was a very relaxing stay. GREAT location for doing anything in this city. It was funky and romantic at the same time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

thank you Dulce ( reservations), thank you Lea (our receptionist, and ..Club Inter host, at the time..). We have received the upgrade to the Tourelle Suite ( on 13 floor, as we checked in late on a Friday evenenig, driving a mere 5 and a half hours from New York)- the higher floors were taken by 9 PM which is quite understandable. First of all the hotel is new , only 20 years in built and recently renovated, there is no doubt that it was clean and well maintained. Room service was on top , as a matter of fact next day morning we left the sign do-not-disturb on the door , and the room attendant saw us leaving and she still managed to enter and clean our suite while we were at the Inter Club Lounge, having free breakfast (as it was included with the Club Room Reservation). This in itself reminded me of a very personal caring and attention, similar to a Hay Adams , in DC where we had a personal attandant for our needs.
Ok , soap , shampoo ? No problems . Towels, in the gym ? My partner who speak only english , had to ask the attendant a towel, but he did get it, and he moved on.
I do not think that this is worth a comment , sometimes things are in place , you just have to look for it and as long as there is an attendant, as always is, will be solved.
Elevators were 2 in operation, of which one was always grounded and ready to be taken for a quick ride up, which I found smart, as we never waited to get to our suite on the 13th floor.
On the way down elevators were obviously slower (the price to pay-you don't have to be Einstein to figure it out!!), but was moving well , less that 2 min most of the times, maybe once we waited more than usual and it got busy , I assume a group was checking out , all at the same time, which is an exception to the rest of the times, not realy worth mentioning, it is a hotel , yes..
Overall the cultural events in the happenning like Easter, White Party and the Gaga events, etc ... are all related to the outside world of the hotel, we think Motreal is a very modern and relaxed place to be , never in the hotel we experienced other than quiet and laid-back cosmopolitan atmosphere, from staff and patrons as well, a very relaxing week-end indeed..
I meant to mention one more time that the best surprize was the afternoon access to the Club Inter, where Lea welcomed us to the one of the best buffet with wine degustation that I could not resist, it was as good as we practically skipped dinner Sat nite ( Do not tell this to nobody).
In other words the pampering went against our will, and that in itself speaks miles towards the stars credit. (a 6 star service!).
Although we were not familiar the Inter Montreal ,we were familiar with the Willard in DC (where we spent Palm Sunday ) and with the Boston Inter.
We like them both, but we would thing ( despite the currency exchange rate) the Montreal Inter is the hiden gem!-right now. ( and I am not talking of the Club Inter buffet , that dissapeared in Boston, and Willard DC never had it!). Or maybe I am.
Montreal, keep it going!

We will be back, hopefuly: talk to you soon Dulce and see you soon Lea. And if not , we will keep wonderful memories on our Sumsung Galaxy Pad Photo Gallery. Now you know who we are : Two very well satisfied Ambassador Club members from New York, de passage..a Montreal.

Room Tip: get here earlier than later !
DUBAI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

To attend a conference in Montreal, we had booked accommodation at this hotel. It was quite near to the conference location, so it was much convenient for us, but the overall service was average. Although I am a member of Priority Club, I could not get any special service! We stayed there for 3 nights,

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
New York City, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

My wife and I travel to Montreal often and we normally stay at the Sofitel. We were returning to Montreal for Easter and wanted to try the Intercontinental for a change. We had stayed here 10 years ago when the hotel was newer. We were very disappointed and will not be back.

We booked an Iconic Suite which is nice enough but nothing special. Our quoted price included a buffet breakfast. We tried the buffet breakfast for only 1 morning and preferred the smaller buffet in the Club lounge but only on weekends. On weekdays, the Club lounge is full of business travelers looking to get in and out really quickly.

The hotel has gone down hill since its opening, regardless of the recent renovation in 2009. Service and staff are very absent. You are asked to request your car from the valet 20 minutes before you need it. We always asked for it 30 minutes prior to retrieving it and were always told by the bellman that no one had requested our car. Turn down service is not given unless you ask for it. Toiletries and amenities in the room are non-existent. We only got 1 mini bottle of shampoo and had to ask for extra every day. When we went to the pool and asked for towels, we were told that they were in short supply and needed to be conserved. That was the most unbelievable -- how is it that a luxury hotel is short on towels? This is unheard of.

The common areas are also dirty. There was a Lady Gaga tour group staying at the hotel which made the property feel like roadie central. Pizza delivery guys roamed the hotel freely knocking on wrong doors to deliver pies. There was also a White Party across the street and, in the morning, a lot of ravers were stumbling into the hotel, shirtless and shoeless, to go to their rooms.

Breakfast was nothing special. When we checked in, and told that breakfast was included in our rate, we asked if we could get it delivered to our room. We were told absolutely. When we ordered room service the following morning, we were socked with a $90 breakfast bill for eggs, coffee and fruit and told that room service was not part of our rate. I wouldn't mind so much if the breakfast was good, but it was actually pretty bad and not what we ordered either. We felt ripped off.

The gym opens at 9am on weekends and closes early. On weekdays, it closes at 7pm. To the devoted work out crowd, this is bad news.

All in all, the hotel is skimpy and not what you expect from a property which promises a luxury stay. The Sofitel and St. James in Montreal have this property beat hands down. I will probably never stay in another Intercontinental ever again.

Finally, if an Intercontinental manager reads this review and wants to provide the normal "sorry we didn't meet your expectations but you must be difficult" type of reply, I recommend that your time would be better spent on evaluating your property and staff instead.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ICMMONTREAL, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a comment on your recent experience at the InterContinental Montreal. As the general manager of the hotel I am very appreciative of your constructive comments and deeply regret that you and your spouse did not feel our hotel up to standards. I completely understand that you do not wish to receive a generic answer from our establishment and this is why I wanted to personally answer you.

Every point in your notes have been taken seriously and I have reviewed these with all involved departments heads. Even though we take great pride in our reputation and usually benefit from positive comments from our guests we take you lack of satisfaction very much to heart.

I invite you to communicate with me at your convenience and I will be honoured to address your issues directly and hopefully convince you to come and try us once again. There is no question that Easter week-end is a special time where we did welcome exceptional events that might have had an impact on your perception but still remain exceptional.

I believe that your being invited to use our very user friendly CMconcierge application upon checking in would have allowed you to enjoy a better experience as the request for your car delivery, ordering of additional toiletry and amenities or towels would have been handled immediately. We strive to improve and thank you once again for your caring and for sharing your experience.

Ontario's Near North, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Having read some of the reviews before we went away, I was a bit concerned. I was very pleasantly surprised once we arrived. We had gotten our room on Hotwire & saved $100 - so check that option out.

Our room was on the 22nd floor, facing the Montreal skyline. On a sunny day, we could see as far as the Olympic stadium.

The location is great for those seeking some quiet time. The renovations were clearly well done, as the hotel seems ultra modern & chic. It is connected to the underground RES (reseau) - a series of underground walkways. You can virtually get to the orange line metro completely underground, while passing shops & art work. You leave the hotel & are in within Old Montreal within a matter of minutes. It's a very quiet area, which features other hotels (the Westin is right next door) and smaller boutique hotels that are further into Old Montreal.

I didn't access the pool or restaurants, so I can't comment on that. There are two resteraunts within the hotel - one being more of a bar, the other called Osco. Also attached to the hotel is a Java U - a trendy coffee shop that offers sandwiches, coffee & other drinks at a reasonable rate.

Attached to the exit of the hotel which faces the underground walkways are multitudes of stores, cafes & restaurants - convenient if you want a quick bite (i.e. Sushi Shop).

The room itself was very well-appointed. The bathroom had a good deal of space, featuring a tub & shower that were separate from one another. The bedroom area featured a queen-sized bed with comfy linens & feather filled pillows. I can see that if you were staying for longer than 2-3 days, the lack of sitting area in the room could get tiresome. However, I was not on a Club Level floor, so I'm assuming those rooms are bigger.

I didn't use the concierge service, but we did stow our bags before we left the city, which was a good feature. Room service prices were typical for a 4 star hotel. If you do wish to order, do so during the day - prices skyrocket on the night menu (i.e. a Caesar salad jumps from $10 to $25!). I also didn't use the parking service, but it was clear there was valet at the street entrance on Saint Antoine.

internet was at a fee of $15 a day. We were offered a special for $10 that featured unlimited local calls (which normally cost $1.50 per call) & wireless.

Overall, I thought this hotel was great for our needs. I would definitely return in a heartbeat! If you are looking for more of a party atmosphere, I would suggest something else that's closer to downtown.

Room Tip: Rent a Bixi bicycle close to the hotel.
Connecticut, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

My son and I were in Montreal for a recent trip to see McGill University and the city. The Intercontinental is located very close to Old Montreal, but is still within walking distance to downtown, shopping, and McGill (if you're willing to walk 30 minutes or so). The hotel is across the street from the Palais des Congres.

It is also on the RESO which is worth figuring out if you are in Montreal in inclement weather. The RESO is the "underground city" where commercial buildings and malls are interconnected underground. You can walk out of the rain, snow, and auto traffic over a significant part of downtown Montreal. The concierge was very helpful with how we could walk to McGill from the hotel, avoiding the rain the entire way. The RESO is awesome and the hotel is perfectly situated on it.

We self parked for $22 a day rather than valet park. To access the lot, you turn off St. Antoine onto St. Pierre and the garage is immediately on the right.

The front desk staff were efficient, and check-in took less than two minutes. The room we had (two double beds) was roomy and the bathroom has a separate bathtub and shower. There was a flat screen TV with a basic selection of channels, many in French. There is a safe in the cabinet which was big enough to store a 15" laptop, a DSLR camera, a few lenses, and more. The internet is pricy at $14.50 a day, but it seemed pretty fast.

The pool was OK. It's basically a small lap pool. The fitness center staff provide a towel when you sign in. There is a sauna and a steam room in the change room. We didn't use the rest of the fitness center with the equipment.

The location, as I said, is great. You just walk out of the hotel and head down St. Pierre street and you are in Old Montreal. From there, turn left on Notre Dame, and the Basilica is a short stroll down the street. We walked from the hotel to Crescent and Ste. Catherine in about 25 minutes. The walk from the hotel to McGill via the RESO took about 30 minutes, and that included soaking up the sights along the way.

Tip for photographers visiting the Notre Dame Basilica - I recommend an ultrawide-angle lens and tripod. I didn't have my tripod, so I was shooting ultrawide at 10mm and ISO 3200 for 1/10 or 1/20 second handheld. A tripod would have been much easier though, and then I could have shot long exposures at f/11 at base ISO.

Anyway, back at the hotel, one problem we experienced were the elevators. There are four elevators, but only one appeared to be functioning. What this meant was sometimes long waits for elevators, and sometimes when they eventually arrived, they were totally full. We were only in Montreal for 2 days, but if the trip was longer or if I was on business, the elevators would have been an unnacceptable nuisance. It did not appear anyone was working on them either. The stairs are not a realistic option because the room floors start at floor 10.

The other issue that prevents a 5 out of 5 rating are "the little things." When we checked into our room for the first time, there were no facecloths and no soap. A cart with dirty room service stuff on it from a nearby room sat in the hallway for a while one morning (at least several hours). There was a long hair (not mine or my son's) on one of the pillows. The TV remote was disgustingly dirty.

Despite the issues above, I would stay at the Intercontinental again. Other than the elevator problem, the minor flaws we noticed are procedural that management should be able to correct through training of the cleaning and room service staff. The elevator problem is also fixable, but it requires the hotel recognizing that they need to spend the requisite money - probably significant - to properly maintain their elevators in working condition.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Bennington, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful long weekend at the Intercontinental in Montreal--we were upgraded to a suite and in turn were afforded access to Club Intercontinental. We met Chistelle in Club Intercontinental and were so impressed with her. She made us feel right at home and was so helpful--she is a remarkable young lady and seems to have knowledge in ALL areas of the hotel. It was a sincere pleasure to have met her and she definately made our stay that much nicer.
Overall, a fabulous hotel and the Club Intercontinental was a plus!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Montreal? Share your experiences!