“Pure Relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #54 of 167 Activities in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Come enjoy a unique relaxation experience surrounded by all the wonders of nature…five minutes from downtown Montreal. Located on the shores of a lake, Strøm Nordic Spa offers you an exceptionally beautiful natural setting.Enjoy thermal experience in nature, massages, treatments and bistro.Our facilities include outdoor whirlpools, thermal and Nordic baths, Finnish saunas, eucalyptus steam bath, thermal and Nordic waterfalls, indoor and outdoor relaxation areas with fireplaces.Open everyday from 9am to 10pm.
New York
8 attraction reviews
“Pure Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

All I can say about this place is that a trip to Montreal BEGS for a visit here! I have never visited a Nordic Spa before. We went in the middle of February and saying temperatures were frigis is a massive understatement. The thought of being OUTSIDE, in freezing temperatures and in a bikini conjured up horrible images of being bed ridden in the hospital with bronchitis, pneumonia…you name it. I was extremely apprehensive but boy oh boy was I wrong! You start by going into a heated pool in which you should remain about 20 minutes or so to get your body temperature to a cozy level. All the while, your brain is confused because since the pool is outdoors, your head is freezing but your body is comfy-cozy. After that, you immediately dip yourself into another pool in which the water is only 2 degrees above freezing point. The immediate sensation is a thrilling and confusing sensation as you quite literally shock your core temperature with freezing water. They recommend lasting for 10 seconds if you can. I never made it past 5. Then, you go into a heated relaxation room at which point they strongly recommend you lay down flat, as many people get light headed from the sudden temperature shock. I did in fact get light headed and felt the most amazing albeit strange sensation of blood rushing through my veins from head to toe. Everything tingled and my heart felt like it might literally beat out of my chest, it was almost borderline uncomfortable for a few minutes…..and then, after a few more minutes everything slowed down and my heart and thoughts and circulation quieted down to levels I’ve never experienced before. I stared at the landscape in front of me, desolate, simple, tranquil and before I realized what had happened, I drifted off into the most relaxing nap of my life. I awoke to my husband telling me I’d been asleep for 30 minutes. I couldn’t believe it.
We did this 2 times in total on the same visit. Buy the all-day pass which entitles you to use the pools and sauna and steam room unlimited. And hey, guess what? No pneumonia! In fact, I’d never felt so invigorated. You’ll walk away with a true feeling well-being. DO IT!!!!

Visited February 2012
Rosalie1234, Public Relations Manager at Strom Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear tempusfugit83,
Thank you so much for your great review about Strom spa. You use such great words to describe the emotions and the health benefits related to the thermal experience. We are glad that it contributed to your well-being. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Montreal, Canada
“highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Visited this spa early september. Price is very reasonable for the quality provided. Truly hard to believe it is so close to busy city traffic as you are surrounded by trees, water and quiet. Impeccably clean and well kept, staff very pleasant and present to provide assistance, very nicely organized with multiple areas to enjoy; 2 hot pools, 2 cold pools, steam room, 2 saunas and multiple relaxation areas (especially loved relaxing by the indoor and outdoor firepits). Massages were good and provided outdoors in private tent which is a lovely experience. The bistro food was excellent as was the service. Nice to be able to enjoy a glass of wine! Great amenities provided in the locker room. My only complaint is that the changeroom /locker area is WAY too small. It was very difficult to change comfortably - there are too many lockers for the space slotted to actually change and you are bumping into other guests. Overall though, would highly recommend and plan to return.

Visited September 2012
Dear harviet43,
Thank you so much for your great review about our massages, thermal experience, staff and bistro. You are right; it feels amazing to be surrounded by trees, water and the tranquility of nature while being minutes from downtown! We are working hard to build the best spa experience. We do want to exceed your expectations at every visit and we keep on investing to always improve your experiences.
We look forward to seeing you again in a near future.
Montreal, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“2 thumbs up for this Montreal area spa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

As far as nordic spas in and around the Montreal area, I can honestly say that Strom has been my best experience thus far. Only 10 minutes from downtown, you'd think you were hours away from city life. Strom's setting is spectacular, surrounded by forest and bordering on Lake des Battures. Strom offers a variety of specialized massages but we only enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the thermal experience this time around. The grounds and baths are extremely clean and well-maintained and the best part is lounging by the lake taking in the wildlife. One can easily spend a full day at Strom and not feel the time go by. We had the chance to eat at the little bistro by the nordic waterfall and sampled different Quebec cheeses from the area. This made our experience at Strom that much better!

Visited August 2012
Rosalie1234, Responsable relations publiques at Strom Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Katkelkay19,
Thank you for your great review! We are glad that you appreciated our outdoor thermal experience. You are right, we do feel hours away from city life at Strom spa while being 10 minutes from downtown! Thank you as well for your comments about the service and the bistro! We look foward to welcome you again in a near future.
The Strom Spa Team
Boston, Massachusetts
15 attraction reviews
“Pricey but fantastic massage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We got an outdoor couples massage, which was completely relaxing in an idyllic atmosphere. Worth the money. I wouldn't spring for the thermal experience, seeing as it was small and somewhat crowded-- if you're staying at a nice hotel I'm sure their pool, hot tub, and steam room will suffice. We didn't eat at the cafe so I can't comment on that.

Visited September 2012
Dear Jacqueline321,
Thank you for your great review about our outdoor massages. Even though you felt that the thermal experience seemed small and crowded, we can assure you that the experience is worth trying and it’s proven to have real health benefits. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Ottawa, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Nice and relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I went to Strom Spa with my sister for the afternoon while in Montreal. It was nice and relaxing. The pools, sauna and hot tubs were great temperature and there were lots of places to sit and relax. I especially liked the 'dock' area at the water. Lots of wildlife and very quiet and peaceful. We did not have a massage while there, but we did get a latte and shared a muffin for a snack and they were wonderful.

Visited August 2012
Dear LisaBOttawa,
Thank you for your nice review! We are glad that you appreciated our outdoor thermal experience. We look foward to welcome you again in a near future.
The Strom Spa Team