“location the only reason to pay the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Montreal

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Montreal to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Montreal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1255 Jeanne Mance Street | PO Box 130, Montreal, Quebec H5B 1E5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #67 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Bolton, CT, USA
“location the only reason to pay the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Location, location, location - the only reason to pay the Hyatt Regency's overinflated rates is that you are in Montreal for the Jazz Festival or some other event at the Place des Arts and want the convenience of being directly across the street. If you don't mind being 3 or 4 or 5 blocks away, there are a half dozen hotels including a Delta, Hilton Gardens, and Holiday Inn for significantly less.

Not only are the room rates high, the parking is $32 a night and the very nice full buffet breakfast is similarly overpriced. Plus it has always been a mystery to me why it is that less expensive hotels provide free local calls and free wi-fi in the rooms, while more expensive hotels show how classy they are by charging for same -- it's called You pay more, you get less. The Hyatt charges for both.

Our room was small, the bathroom was tiny. I don't need a view, but I do like lots of light and unfortunately, only the right half of the outside wall was a window. There was room for an armchair, just barely, between the bed and the outside wall but since it was stuck in a dark corner with no lamp, it meant I couldn’t sit in it and see to read.

Note that paying more for a Regency Club room does not seem to make any difference in the room itself other than a small refrigerator, but it does get you free wi-fi in the room, a free breakfast, and access to the club lounge with its free afternoon hors d'oevres.

The pluses -- aside from the location, which is a huge plus -- the staff are friendly and helpful, the AC and heat controls are the easiest to use I have ever encountered, and the pool is particularly nice.

All that being said, we will stay there again for the Jazz Festival because of the convenience, but not when we are in Montreal for any other reason.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Montreal for 3 nights at the end of June to attend Jazz fest. I couldn't be happier with my choice. After taking 2 flights including a red-eye to get there, I thought my room wouldn't be ready so early in the day. Bianca at reception immediately checked me in. The front desk was very welcoming and made me feel like a valued customer. My room was exactly what I asked for - smoking room with a view of the festival grounds. There was also a purifier in the room which was a nice touch. I booked my room at Hyatt.com, but also called the hotel to confirm room type and amenities.

My window overlooked the Place des Arts so I was always able to see everything going on outside. The room was the perfect size and had a coffee machine and mini fridge. The bed was super comfy. Could there be room for improvement? Sure, but I wasn't focused on insignificant details. What I care about is being welcomed, treated respectfully and having a great time. That is exactly what I got.

I frequented the hotel bar in the evenings and this was the place to be. There is also an outdoor area for watching the shows or having a drink. The staff was so nice and fun, especially my bartender Matthew who made the best bloody caesars in Montreal! The hotel was full of musicians and fans alike, and everyone was having a great time in the lounge.

The hotel is connected to a shopping mall with plenty of stores, cafes and a food court. The hotel was right in the middle of the festivities. The metro was directly in front of the hotel, so it is very easy to get around the city. There is also a bus from the airport that drops you off 1 block from the hotel (3 minute walk).

I plan on going back to Montreal and will definitely stay at the Hyatt. I can't imagine staying anywhere else during jazz fest.

Room Tip: Room 408 is a smoking room, with a purifier.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sherbrooke, Québec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Location is great, lobby is great and recently renovated... but the rooms are SO small and boring. The rooms are in great need of renovations. I had asked for two double beds and what we got were a bit larger than twin beds. The bathroom was dirty and had mold around the tub. Very disapointing, I will not stay there again and I stay in Montreal on average 12 nights a year.

Boxborough, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I spent 4 days in this hotel and I have to agree the location is great but very thing else was horrible, except for the pool, which I beleive . The rooms are substandard, the air condition vent was moldy, the ceiling was falling off and the lamps were sparking fire sparkles when my kids went to run it on. Housekeeping did a poor job, the dust in the room was unbearable. i had such bad back pain from the matress, the beds are worn. For the price we paid we deserved a good night sleep. Because the hotel has a great location they are taking advantage of people, charging high prices and providing sub standard serivce, I definately will not stay here again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Although very disappointed that my Feb reservation was paid in full by May 5 resulted with hotel room Not facing festival area, the room was very clean and it is a great location to enjoy jazz Fest. Easy walk to Chinatown and Old Montreal to Cathedral Notre Dame. It amazed me to NOT see police visible in jazz fest crowd- real safe around hotel and general area. They need to add more lighting in room-too dark. Their terrace was convenient for watching Festival stage performances, except more seating should be made avail for hotel guests. The easy access to underground mall with food court and with shops and grocery store made this trip convenient. When I asked concierge where to get taxi she said go outside and stand outside garage. Her info was unclear and not at all what it was. Luckily another person explained it clearly. The fire alarm sounded at 5 am- orderly - BUT hotel should have made announcement in English Also- all signs in halls are in both French and English . Not consistent...??? Letter to guests about false alarm later in day was appreciated. Overall, a good visit.

• Stayed June 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I liked this hotel. The room was very nice and the beds comfortable. It had a great indoor pool that I enjoyed everyday of my stay and the staff was always very nice and helpful. Our view overlooked the main stage of the festival and the hotel also has a deck outside you can sit and hear the music and have drinks without having to be in the crowd below. Also, most of the musicians stay there and if you go the the bar after hours you just might get to meet your favorite band. We will be back...hopefully next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

For the price, it's unacceptable to charge for WIFI.

Perfect location. The pool is nice. Very clean hotel. Nice food court and food around the area. Chinatown is nearby for cheaper food. Walking distance to Old Montreal and shopping.

coffee in the room has no sugar and creamer? - small matter, but shouldn't be overlooked.

Parking across is $18 overnight no in/out. I paid for valet $32 - much more secure with in/out access.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Montreal? Share your experiences!