“On Strike...Sub Par Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Montreal

You added Hyatt Regency Montreal to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Montreal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1255 Jeanne Mance Street | PO Box 130, Montreal, Quebec H5B 1E5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #65 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Leesburg Florida
“On Strike...Sub Par Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Arrived for a 5 day business / pleasure first time Montreal vist. At check in found they were and had been on strike for over two weeks with no end in sight. My mistake was to not seek sister hotel accommodations where there was no strike. Reduced services...no dining room for lunch, dinner or room service, no pool, no fitness center, and limited housekeeping. The management staff was cordial and were coping with the situation, but it was not worth the price we paid for reduced services. We stay at Hyatt all over the US...they are normally very good, but this was disappointing because it is a lovel hotel with a great location. Suggest if you are flexible, choose another property until this is settled.

There are also other hotels in the city on strike, so check it out before you get there. We had no advanced warning, and we had just left a Hyatt in NJ after a 12 day stay, and .are now back in a Hyatt. Not the best way to treat good customers. Only comp was a $20.00 bar charge.

I hope the strike ends soon. Management staff folks are very professional.

Room Tip: No ice machine on the 11th floor. Choose another...10 is OK
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I cannot believe being a platinuum member of hyatt hotels that Hyatt reservations dod not inform me that the hotel is on strike. No room service, no restaurants, no swiming pool ( I am coming with my kids on holidays). I think this is unacceptable from Hyatt headquarters not to inform their customers in advance so they can make another choice

Room Tip: Check before if the hotel is on strike
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear jaime m:

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Montreal. Our Management team is focused on ensuring you received exceptional service during our guest's stays. We're sorry to learn you did not feel it met your expectations during the time of re-negotiating our labor agreement with our employees.

At Hyatt, the satisfaction and wellbeing of our associates is fundamental to the success of our business, as they are the ones who provide authentic hospitality to valued guests like you. I take personal pride in the fact that many of our associates have been here 15 years or more – they are experts at their jobs, and they are missed when they are not here. We hope to reach a resolution on our labour contracts in the very near future.

If we may be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to call us. Our relationship with our guests is of the greatest importance to us.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We arrived on Saturday August 4 - the first day of a 3 day Canadian holiday weekend. It was also right at the time that the housekeeping and support staff at the Hyatt and several other downtown Montreal hotels decided to go on strike as their 4 year contract was up. Management dealt with the situation admirably. Hats off to Erika at the front desk who seemed to be there around the clock during our stay. Services were limited- there was light housekeeping - sheets were not changed but beds were made, bathrooms cleaned and trash emptied. I told them not to worry- we were only staying a weekend and many hotels ask you to go green anyway. Since valet parking was down we used the parking garage's self park instead which was $10 per day on the weekend and $19 per day on Monday and Tuesday. I believe this is less than the normal $25 per day valet fee saving us some money. The hotel pool and restaurant were closed but the bar opened for evening cocktails.

Don't worry though- there is a mall attached to the hotel as part of the beautiful Place D'Arts complex. Our room on the 7th floor overlooked the opera house and symphony hall and all of the festivities below. In the mall you find a variety of restaurants including quick food court options - we grabbed breakfast sandwiches and coffee one morning there , a full breakfast at Eggstration the next day and lunch on Monday at an Indian food court restaurant that had a full lunch including tandoori chicken, biriyani rice and a drink for $8.95. There is also an IGA market in the mall so you can pick up snacks for your days activities.

I would come back here again- rooms were nicely furnished and the hard working management really bent over backwards to make sure we had a good stay even with the limitations of reduced staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the plaza
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Wanted to stay somewhere a little nicer in Montreal while in town for the Osheaga music festival. The pool and other amenities like complimentary breakfast were the deciding factor for staying here instead of much cheaper options like "Hotel Osheaga".

I was not notified or given any indication that the staff had gone on strike until I arrived at check-in. Due to the strike the pool was closed, our room was never serviced over the course of 4 days, we had to call downstairs everytime we needed more towels, and the included breakfast was terrible. Even though the services provided were not as promised, they still refused to offer any partial refunds and instead offerred complimentary wifi as a courtesy. They have a promotion running on foursquare for free wifi so it would have been free anyway.

DON'T STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced on your recent stay at our property. Our pool is currently closed due to the current labor dispute. I’m sorry that your room was not serviced during your stay. Our services are very limited during this time frame and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes. We hope to have a resolution in the near future. I hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future so you can experience our true Hyatt hospitality.

NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I'm a Hyatt GoldPassport Member, formerly w/ Diamond Status (Highest), so I'm usually loyal to Hyatt. Arrived at hotel to be informed that there a strike occurred 2 weeks ago, that only managers were working, and that service would be reduced. The manager also apologized for Hyatt not contacting us beforehand to tell us about the situation, blaming a contractor.

Google is a wonderful thing; I checked, and the staff had been locked out, meaning that Hyatt removed them from work and that I had been lied to. We arrived late at night and could not obtain another hotel, so I'll tell you what "reduced services" means: no room service, no housekeeping services so you make your own bed (fresh towels if you called downstairs only), no dining services except breakfast, no pool, and the same beer glass and candy bar wrapper sitting on the hallway carpet for the duration. A carpet which quite obviously had not been vacuumed in a while. I could go on, but will leave with me listening while new guests kept arriving and the desk manager kept apologizing, blaming the probably non-existent contractor.

I overheard a conversation that negotiations were going badly and this would take a while, so book elsewhere. If you have a reservation, try to cancel it and book elsewhere,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Montreal, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Montreal for your recent stay. I apologize for the lack of service you experienced. We are trying to minimize the impact that this situation is having on our guests. We apologize for the disruptions and will do our best to find solutions that meet our guest’s needs. If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact us. We hope to welcome you back to our property in the future so you can experience true Hyatt hospitality.

Morristown, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here twice. Two and a half years ago for New Years - I had a GREAT time. So I went back Aug 2012. The difference was this time the workers were on strike. I paid for 4 rooms for 10 people for the Regency Floors. I was informed when we arrived that the workers were on strike and that management was running the hotel. We had no restaurant, no valet parking, no room service, no pool. When I say no room service, I mean no one came in our room for all 4 nights - no making the bed, no fresh towels, no cleaning, NOTHING. The rooms were dusty and the bathroom was dirty from the last people who were in the room. Ick. The Regency lounge had limited hours and on some days was completely closed with no notice. What was I paying $200+ for per night? Save your money - call ahead and ask if they are on strike. If yes, find a new hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
I am very disappointed that your recent experience at Hyatt Regency Montreal did not live up to your last experience. With the current strike our services that we typically offer have been impacted. I apologize we were unable to provide room service during your stay and that our Regency Club hours were limited. We hope to reach a resolution on our labor contracts in the very near future. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once everything is resolved so you can experience our fantastic property in full service.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was clean and staff are very friendly and helpful. The newly renovated lobby area is nice and the location is fantastic! Got a great deal on Priceline so I have no complaints. Close to everything. Great experience overall.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Montreal? Share your experiences!