“Great Experience!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Expat in Turkey
“Great Experience!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

I stayed at the QH Downtown from October 7-11, 2005. To be honest, I really expected the worst based on some of the reviews below. However, I was absolutely surprised and pleased with my stay at this hotel and would definitely stay here again in the future.

1) The hotel is located one block away from Sherbrooke, one of the main streets in Downtown Montreal. It's also a 10 minute walk from St. Laurent ("The Main"), one of the most ultra-hip and exciting streets in the city. It sits on the edge of downtown but is closer to The Plateau, the artistic district of Montreal. (Great inexpensive restaurants and bars in the area, including some restaurants where you can bring your own wine!) It is also less than a 5 minute walk from Jeanne Mance (ever seen photos of the iron staircases in Montreal? Chances are they were taken on Jeanne Mance street.).

2) The hotel is directly across the street from Provigo, a well-stocked and clean grocery store (check out their pastry section!). It was WONDERFUL (and inexpensive) to zip across the street and pick up provisions for the weekend.

3) The only problem I encountered was that the movie channels would not work when I arrived. Rachelle at the front desk went above and beyond to try to get them to work again Friday evening and continued to follow up with me throughout the weekend to get them functional.

4) The restaurant was closed while I was there, but there is a local restaurant (Alto - pick up a menu in the lobby) who will deliver as late as 5:00 a.m.!!! Good food, quick delivery. I highly recommend their pizza.

5) I found the front desk staff to be accommodating, warm, and very helpful. They went above and beyond to ensure I had a good stay.

All in all, it was a very good experience. Granted, this isn't a four star hotel, but you get a great value for the price.

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2005

It is fine if you just want a base from which to explore the city. It is nowhere as scary as the "Never Again" post would indicate. I got spooked by that post and ended up booking another hotel for the first three days of my stay. Yes, that other hotel (2.5*) is head and shoulders above the 2* Quality Downtown, but if you happened to get this hotel from Priceline, don't worry and enjoy your stay as long as your aim is to explore the city instead of worrying about the service level of your hotel.

The neighborhood is a mix of downtown businesses and student housing. On Sherbrooke, which is only 1/2 a block away, it's all businesses and posh hotels. On Ave du Parc, it's a mixture of convenient stores, restaurants, outdoor cafes, and a supermarket. The hotel is also within walking distance of the Metro and St. Laurent where a lot of Montreal nightlife takes place. The point is if McGill students managed to live through 4 years of their education living in this neighborhood, you'll be OK for a few days.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

Me and a few friends just returned from a weekend stint at this hotel. As said before this hotel is a 3 star. You get what you pay for. It provides you with the basics. A Room with A.C., adequate beds, trademark flat hotel pillows, and maid service. It is a great hotel because of its location. Close to Supermarket, Liquor Store, and the club scene and night life is all within walking distance. As said before last year I stayed at the Delta nearby on President Kennedy and that is a cut above but that is a 4 star and well you pay more. It's around $15 or so per day for parking in the garage. We just parked it when we arrived and took it out when we left. Close by to everything. We were on a floor with an ice machine. If you are in need for ice like we were it does the job but if you are looking for a large amount of ice in a short amount of time it may do the job but not real quick. Maid on the last day since we didnt ask for maid service sort of yelled/informed us about how "NOT TO OPEN THE WATER" she was saying not to open the bottle of water in the room that is on the table and just replace it with tap water and how she would know. Found that okay a little weird cause who is going to drink a medium size bottle of water that is $3.50? All in all no real complaints. When we requested more towels we got them. Front Desk when going in and out were friendly. If you plan on staying in the hotel for a while during the day when your not out then the hotel doesnt really have time consuming things. It is simply put ADEQUATE for people that just need a place to stay that will give you a place to sleep (in smoking and non-smoking) and any of the other basics. If you lookin for more its going to cost you more.

• Stayed August 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

I had a good deal in hotwire,it just us$45/night(tax not included) we booked the hotel for 5 nights,what can ask for this price in the downtown.The room is fine,the front desk is quite helpful.but the most important thing is the location,you can walk to metro for less than 5 min(but I can't imagine in the winter),the bus stop just the corner(check for the time ,30min in non-rush hour)if you want to the old montreal/chinatown, either bus or walk is fine ,it a straight road.Easy to access anywhere like shopping,sightseeing...
There's supermarket across the street,very convenient,not only the supermarket,a bakery,couples of resturant,Cara is the place we went twice,try the breakfast, the crepe filled with lot of fruit,dip with nutella,very great.
I saw some beggars beg for money along the streets,I experienced a beggar came to me for the money when I walked from the metro to hotel.And one night we saw a man slept at the front door of the hotel,few people looking at him,the staff of hotel came out and ask something ,then she returned to the hotel,it seems this happen before(a woman walking along and said he just faking always)So i advised girls to be watched out when you have to go out at night.
One more thing,you have to pay $10/day for the high speed internet,really expensive,and when we called the service desk ask about the service detail,she gave us wrong information,the service should be from noon to noon,but the one one the phone said its from midnight to midnight,so be careful.

• Stayed July 2005
London, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2004

Firstly I think the reviews below are for the Quality Inn Downtown at 1214 Crescent St and NOT where I stayed which is Quality Hotel Downtown at 3440 av du Parc - even though they are part of the same hotel chain with similar names they are different.

The hotel furnishing and fittings were a bit run down and not up to scratch. For example loose strands of thread on the sofa, a dodgy coffee maker, and in the bathroom a section of the wall that had been patched with filla but never painted / papered. There was a perma air freshener smell that hotels have, this one I think was apple blossom, but it was so awful and corrosive that it actually made my throat burn when in small places like the lift.

The location was OK but not great, it is a number of blocks to Rue St Catherine, and I suggest you check on maps before booking if you want to be near certain things such as the Notre Dame Cathedral in Vieux (Old) Montreal. I ended up doing a lot of walking around the city just to get to somewhere, which in sub-zero temperatures is not always fun. There was a super market across the road, although I found a smaller but nicer one at the Galeries du Parc a few minutes away. There is also a good 24 hour internet café across the street.

My first morning there I was woken up at 7am by a work crew who were there to totally redecorate the communal parts of my floor. There was no attempt to be quiet. I had shouting, ladders clanging, singing, humming, loud conversations and electric sanding all just outside my door. There was no excuse for this. Their business is being a hotel and at the very least they should have mentioned it to me, but they could have put me on another floor or got the crew to start work at a more sociable hour for guests.

When I compare this to what I got in Toronto and Ottawa for the same money there is no way I can consider this a good deal. I was wary about booking into any hotel with Quality in the name, but based on the other reviews (which I now know to be for a different hotel) I thought I would give it a go. Never again will I risk going to this hotel, there are plenty of other good hotels at the same price.

PS I enjoyed Montreal, and hope to return soon for another vacation

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2004

My friends and I spent a few nights in this hotel and were pleasantly surprised. I guess we had low expectations but everything turned out great. The parking is in a secure garage and the food in the restaurant downstairs was great. We got a really good deal on the rooms from expedia so we weren't sure what to expect for the price. We were in walking distance to a lot of places and there's a grocery store right across the street. I'd probably stay there again if I ever go back to Montreal again. This is a perfect hotel if you plan on sightseeing Montreal and go places.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2004

Great location, just 1 block off of the center of St Catherine street. Close to the local subway which I found so easy to navigate. Private Garage asures safe parking. Great resturaunt called Mango's adjacent to the hotel located on the main floor. ( they serve a great breakfast) and keep a well stocked bar. The Front Desk was an excellent help, always happy to make dinner reservations for us and never being off when recamending a place to eat or visit. The rooms were clean & quaint, the bathroom is a bit small but definetly sufficent, the tub was deep enough for me to soak my 6 foot 240 pound frame which is nice after a day off treking around the city. Right accross the street is a full service grocery store(great for the budget concious) or if you just need something you forgot to pack. Considering I paid less then $300 for a 4 night stay I would recamend this hotel and may even stay there again. It would have been nice to have a few more amenities (like a pool) but hey I was there to see the city not lounge around a hotel.

Been to Quality Hotel Downtown Montreal? Share your experiences!